Ideal Tyre Pressure - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 5 Old 03-22-2011 Thread Starter

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Ideal Tyre Pressure

Hi

Just got my first Tourareg (2005 - 2nd hand) so far so good it's a 2.5tdi manual and I'm really enjoying it but need some help on tyre pressure.

My tyres are 275/45/20's and I have the front pressure at 39psi and the rear tyres at 44psi as I believe this is supposed to be the correct pressure.

When I got the car the ride felt good but when I checked the pressures they were 33psi all round!

The ride now seems very hard at the 'correct' pressure. I was wondering if any of you had the same size of wheels and what tyre pressure would you recommend as I think they are a bit too hard the way they are - maybe I'm wrong though.

Any help for a new touareg owner is much appreciated!

The car came with 4 new tryes so I want to try and make them last as long as they can. BTW how long do tyres generally last on them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-23-2011
Touareg Guru

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
VW do hundreds of thousands of miles tyre testing - use their pressures. Anything else and you are running partially deflated tyres - not good for handling not good for wear and certainly not good if you are in a serious accident and the police inspect your vehicle.

One of the problems with low profile tyres is comfort - there's not much rubber and air between you and the road and that's why some of us prefer the original 17 inch wheels.

As for tyre wear, first it depends on the make of the tyre - some last less than 10K whilst others will do 50K - and then where you drive and how you drive so it's not really an exact science!
post #3 of 5 Old 03-23-2011
Official CT Ricer!

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
The 20 inch wheels you have, do you know if they are the standard VW wheels for your model? If not, you probably have too big a wheel requiring you to run small side profile tires, which tend to be "hard" by nature in ride quality. The correct tire pressure in such a case is as good as anybody's guess.

FYI, I run 275 35 on my track car, a 275 45 is only going to have an additional 1.375 cm of sidewall compared to that.Get correct wheels and tires and run the specified pressure and you should be good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-27-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
My 274/45 20's feel best at 42/45 but that's with the v10 and air susp.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-28-2011 Thread Starter

Second Vehicle: Still looking
Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode