I want to buy a Touareg | 2.5 R5 or 3.0 V6 ? - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 65 Old 04-30-2013 Thread Starter

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I want to buy a Touareg | 2.5 R5 or 3.0 V6 ?

Hello,

Sorry if i repeat some thread but this forum is huge!

I'm interested to buy a Touareg but some people told me some issues about the vw 2.5, 5 cilinder engine, reliably is not his strong! I love to hear some opinions about this engine, and common problems... if they exist, or if is only bull shits that i ear!

I prefer a car who has best consumptions that a lot of horses like V6.

What are the opinions about the 2.5TDi R5 VS 3.0 V6 in the follow topics:
- consumptions
- reliably
- driving / fun
- common problems i can expect

Many Thanks to all members!
Best Regards,

goncalo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 04-30-2013
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Garage
Just as a reminder there are two types of R5 engine: BAC and BPE.
post #3 of 65 Old 04-30-2013
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2004 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Hi goncalodias, welcome to the the club.
R5 engine is the same engine that you can find on Transporter and Crafter, its a pretty good engine and very reliable if you do the maintenance well. Some peoples had camshaft issues with this engine, but it seems thats because of using the wrong oil. 506.01 is the only oil formula you can use in R5 or V10 engines manufactured before 2007. The R5 engine is gear driven and that makes it maintenance free, no chain no belt replacement. Except two couplings and pulleys that drive the alternator and the AC compressor.

I have done about 50K miles with my Touareg and I am very happy with it, no bigger issues on it till now. For 5 years I have only payed about 1000 euros on maintenance and repairs, including oil and filter changes. But I must say I was one of the lucky ones.

Now the consumption, its not a big difference between the R5 and V6 TDI. Since the V6 has more power and torque it is expected to consume a lot more than the R5, but I must say thats not true its about 1-2 Litres overall. Some members here, who had all models of touaregs reported that the V6 feels better than any other, and it is beter balanced then other engines.

With the Touaregs you can't know, one moment is great and the other something fails and you can't drive it. All touareg models share some issues, like the center driveshaft bearing, valve body (automatic transmission touaregs), stepper motor and so on and that are some common problems that might occur. As for the two engines you are about to buy, I would recommend you to get the V6 TDI.

Any Touareg is fun to drive, great on road and very good off road. If you are going to buy the R5 I'll recommend you to get the manual gearbox, its just great, short shifts and very good when off roading. And no valve body(chest) to fail. And try to avoid the 2003 and 2004 Touaregs, it seems that this early production years touaregs have some problems more than later models.

Boa sorte

2006-VW Touareg 2.5 TDI,174hp.Manual Gearbox. Full,except the air suspension.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996-VW Golf 3 1.9 TDI estate
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004-BMW 525d-fully loaded

1998-Land Rover Freelander 2.0 Diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 Old 04-30-2013
Touareg Guru

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
post #5 of 65 Old 05-01-2013 Thread Starter

Many Thank for all reply's!

Touareg MNE, i hope if i get one, be a lucky guy as you are!
I love auto transmissions! Do you think is a big risk on Touareg? I thought the triptronic was good transmission. The valve body is very expensive to fix?

Noobytoogy, great tutorial! I will have now a check list, when i gonna see them!

Njord, what are the differences? Is by the year models?

i have a Range Rover P38, and before i had more 3 Range Rovers, but the Touareg, looks a great car, and i was looking for a reliably car! I have a baby and i love to make trips and go surfing in hidden beaches with off road access. And with the Range Rover i never know!

I will have the same feeling with Touareg or is much more reliably car?

The other reason is to makes trips more faster and less expensive

Once again
Thanks to all!
I see this is a great community! Great Forum!
post #6 of 65 Old 05-01-2013
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2004 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
The valve chest is something you'll need to replace sooner or later, its not cheap. I don't know how much exactly. The BAC engines were produced first, then from 2006 or 2007 (not sure on this one) they started producing BLK BPD and BPE.. There are just some minor differences between this engines, bolt extra there bolt less here and so. Nothing special. There was also a common issue on the R5 regarding the water pump leakage. And thats about it. Its not reliable like Toyota, but sure it is more reliable than the Range Rover you had.

If the R5 engine was well maintained you'll be able to get 500K miles from it. But than again, if you're lucky you'll enjoy it-if not, you'll be waiting for the first oportunity to sell it.

2006-VW Touareg 2.5 TDI,174hp.Manual Gearbox. Full,except the air suspension.

1996-VW Golf 3 1.9 TDI estate

2004-BMW 525d-fully loaded

1998-Land Rover Freelander 2.0 Diesel
post #7 of 65 Old 05-01-2013
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goncalodias View Post
Njord, what are the differences? Is by the year models?
Yes, You are right. BAC is a BPE predecessor superseded in 2006. There are no significant differences. BPE engine aluminium alloy cylinder block is made under advanced technology.
Below BAC engines problem (liner bore plasma coating peeling off) was resolved.

post #8 of 65 Old 05-01-2013
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njord View Post
liner bore plasma coating
My damn English, I mean cylinder faces (banks). More detailed info you may find here http://vwpress.files.wordpress.com/2.../ssp-305-e.pdf
post #9 of 65 Old 05-01-2013 Thread Starter

I want to ask about consumptions in the 2 engines:

highway trip at 120km/h
highway trip at 140km/h
highway and city combined

Many Thanks again!
regards,
goncalo
post #10 of 65 Old 05-01-2013
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
goncalo,

with regard to consumption, do not expect substantial fuel economy from 2.5l diesel. (Particularly when in city short trip driving). They said gasoline engine converted to gas is a better solution.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode