How to decipher your VIN - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 16 Old 11-13-2013 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Garage
How to decipher your VIN

Dear Treggers,
I decided to pin a new thread because already two participants were asking similar questions. A separate thread, to make your search easy. Sorry, if I posted it in a wrong place. For attention of those who is eager to learn more about their Treg trim package or about a potential purchase. I think I have a temporary solution for you until you'll find proper instrument in English. The method is a bit complicated and time consuming.
First, visit this page in Russian language www.vincarfax.ru/taxonomy/term/703
Insert your VIN into the field right in the middle and then press bottom "Расшифровать". This is online service, free of charge. Once you get a list of 3-digits codes, disregard text in Russian, open a new page http://www.igorweb.org/equidec/default.aspx
copy and insert each and every 3-digits code one by one (or altogether separated by semicolon, see detailed instructions) into working field and press "Decode". You'll get item description in English. I checked both resources and test with my own VIN - it works perfectly. Hope you'll find this info useful and meaningful and this text is clear to understand. Sorry, for my weird English.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-13-2013
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Good effort but regrettably the site is blocked by my anti-virus.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-13-2013 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
Strange, I visited this site using 3 comps with different antivirus programs, all kept silence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 11-13-2013
Touareg Guru

I think mine is over sensitive but as I'm not a techno geek if anything goes wrong with my PC, I play safe!
post #5 of 16 Old 11-13-2013 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
Yes, of course. It's up to individual's discretion. I just tried to offer real opportunity when nothing better is available and to be helpful with this matter. I had no intention to subject somebody's assets to undue risks. Anyway, if a man do need this info, he may go to internet cafe and use a public computer for his inquiries. But it will be funny, if somebody will dare and confirm that he do no harm to himself and a few days later I'll find a new thread by you at mytreg.com with the reference made to this link.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-13-2013
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
Good effort but regrettably the site is blocked by my anti-virus.
That sucks, I don't want to risk it either, can someone else try? this would make an excellent sticky!
post #7 of 16 Old 11-13-2013 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
tai101, I do not force anybody to check. Nobody is obliged to put his comp into the risk. My message is: Just remember such an opportunity exists. As I said my antivirus programs didn’t alert me. I have ESET Endpoint for working comps and McAfee for private one. I bought my laptop one month ago so for sure the database is up-to-date. This site targets potential buyers of second hand cars from NA market. I don’t believe they would compromise their business in such way.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-14-2013
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2005 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
VIN Decoder - All vehicles (US and EU)

example attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VIN Decoder - All vehicles (US and EU).pdf (1.70 MB, 129 views)

All vw/audi engines must use 507.00 spec oil except non-DPF R5/V10 engines that must use 505.01/506.01
93 Pajero GLS 3.0 V6 LWB - SOLD
2001 Gen3 Di-D LWB - SOLD
2005 Touareg 2.5 TDi Air & Bi-Xenon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-14-2013
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njord View Post
tai101, I do not force anybody to check. Nobody is obliged to put his comp into the risk. My message is: Just remember such an opportunity exists. As I said my antivirus programs didnít alert me. I have ESET Endpoint for working comps and McAfee for private one. I bought my laptop one month ago so for sure the database is up-to-date. This site targets potential buyers of second hand cars from NA market. I donít believe they would compromise their business in such way.
I am not "forcing" anyone to do anything, I simply asked someone else with a good anti-virus program to see if it would set off the anti-virus program. I am not good with computers at all and if I did get a virus, I would not know how to remove it. Obviously it is up to other user's discretion as to whether or not they want to take on the risk.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-14-2013
Touareg Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njord View Post
Yes, of course. It's up to individual's discretion. I just tried to offer real opportunity when nothing better is available and to be helpful with this matter. I had no intention to subject somebody's assets to undue risks.
It's okay, I definitely wasn't thinking you were intent of putting me at risk - far from it!! My anti-virus is a pain at times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode