Frost & Ice Driving setup - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 5 Old 12-12-2011 Thread Starter

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Frost & Ice Driving setup

Bought a 2.5 tdi Touareg last march and I am now experience my first winter in it.

However, the last few mornings where it has been frosty and icy on the backroads where I live, I have felt the jeep slide a lot which I didn't expect from my first 4WD vehicle.

I turned a gentle corner this morning at low speed and the jeep just kept going straight for a ditch and it then managed to right itself before I left the road.

I'm confused as to why this is happening. Is it normal in this jeep? I have quite large tyres with still plenty of thread left on them (275/45/R20), Should the ESP be turned off? I've heard this may help but I seem to get conflicting reports on this.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. BTW I live in Ireland, so not really extreme adverse weather conditions, just frost/ice and sometimes very light snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-12-2011
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
First off, it is not a Jeep, it is a Touareg. Second you don't have proper tires for the conditions you are driving in. Sounds like you have dry road performance tires which won't help you in situations such as you described. Tires make all the difference in those conditions. Your Touareg is doing the best it can with the little grip it has with those tires.

2010 Alaska Grey/Anthracite V6 TDI- Lux,Tech, Air and Hitch
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-12-2011
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Your tires are 275 mm wide, low (45 mm) profile and are mounted on large 20” rims. Most likely, as noted by Yeti, they are summer high performance tires not designed to be used in winter conditions. Even if your tires are all-season rated (which I doubt), their width by itself will make them act as a ski or a toboggan – the less weight per sq. inch of surface your SUV has - the easier it slides. There was a thread on this forum a few days ago and someone has posted comparison information about how different (winter, all-season and performance) tires of the same size perform in winter conditions. If I memorized it right, the performance tires were showing ~ three times less traction and more than triple reduction in vehicle handling ability than winter tires, though I don’t remember details. Since winters are mild in Ireland and you might find it difficult to justify buying winter tires and smaller rims (I’d look for 17” or 18” rim options) the only what you can do is slowing down and allowing an extra room for maneuvering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-12-2011
Touareg Guru

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
As others have said, on the tyres and wheels you have, your car is a 2.5 ton toboggan.

Even 4WD cannot defy the laws of physics - drive slowly and sensibly and don't expect miracles.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-12-2011 Thread Starter

Second Vehicle: Still looking
Thanks for the replies folks, it's all starting to make sense now! I think I'll look for smaller rims for winter and put winter tyres on when it's cold enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode