Drivers side front and back foot well wet - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 15 Old 02-22-2015 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Question Drivers side front and back foot well wet

My Touareg's drivers and passengers side foot well have been damp / wet for a while now.
The passengers side was wet a few months ago as well. I found some threads about the the front bulkhead drains / grommets getting clogged and cleaned them.
The passengers side is ok now, but the drivers side still gets wet. Today I saw water dripping on to the drivers foot well from the plastic covers above the pedals while the car was parked nose down on the drive. I parked the car on the street so it was level and it stopped dripping? A few months ago I also started hearing water sloshing around when cornering or braking hard. I wonder if the two are connected? This is really anoying, did anyone have a similar experience with their Touareg and mange to resolve it? Any help and advice would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Touareg foot well.jpg
Views:	1240
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	91705  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-22-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Not sure if this effects you or not but there is a lot of talk about sunroof drains in C.T. if you have a sunroof have a look it may be your answer
Colin

Canyon Grey V6 TDI with all i need
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-22-2015
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Water sloshing to and fro under acceleration and braking is normally water in the door sills.

Put your head torch on now, get something to kneel on and go and look under the door sill panel that runs along underneath the doors on the outside of the car between the front and rear wheel arches.

You will see three grommets.

If the car is still facing downhill, pull the one out at the front on each side and watch water flow out.

I threw my grommets away several years ago with no adverse effects [a] because I have front mud flaps and [b] because the sill is liberally coated internally with anti-corrosion wax when the car is made.

No, no one really knows why water gets in there!

As for water in the driver's footwell, yes, I would suspect the sunshine roof [if fitted] drain running down the A-pillar on that side is blocked and there are threads about it on here and on www.mytreg.com [the UK site].

In the meantime, turn the car around and park it uphill!

Also look in the boot under the spare wheel.

Water pools in there if the two small drains up at the top the bodywork [one on each of the outer side] of the tailgate hinges get blocked.

If you have got water in there, park on level ground and drain it by piercing the silver seal covered grommet at the lowest point in the spare wheel well - I used a 2mm drill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-22-2015 Thread Starter

Thank you for the information. I will look for the gromets under the sill and removre them hopefully (when it gets a bit dryer) if I find them. Will try to find more info on the sunroof.
Thanks
post #5 of 15 Old 02-24-2015 Thread Starter

Checked the gromets under sill this morning. Passenger side not a drop. Drivers side loads of water coming out but the water was very clear like tap water. I have put the grommet back in, just to check after a while if there will be more water accumulating in sill. As for the sunroof, haven't figured that one out yet. Iam not very technical, where is the A pillar and where are the drainage channel's on the inside or outside of the car?
post #6 of 15 Old 02-24-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
The A Pillar is the area in front of you. It comes down beside the windshield. There should be a small airbag plastic piece, that pops off with a small flat head screwdriver and only one bold holds it on. The trim can then be removed and you will see the tubes.

Also for future reference the B Pillar is the area beside your head when you are sitting in the front seats. A Pillar is at an angle (connects to windshield) and B Pillar is straight up and down.

2008 4.2L FSI, Alaska Grey with Teak interior, Air Suspension, Added rear heated seats, Heated Steering Wheel, RNS510 Retrofit, Rear view camera and parking sensors, Adaptive Cruiser Control with Front Assist Retrofit, Side Assist/Lane Change Retrofit, OEM Tow package, 35% Llumar matching tint, 20" Carrera Wheels, 275/45/20XL tires. VAG Com by Ross-Tech, Yellow Porsche F/R Sway Bars, R50 front valance
post #7 of 15 Old 02-24-2015
Touareg Guru

A pillar is the first pillar at the front of a car.
You then work backwards... B, C, D.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-24-2015
Touareg Guru

Yes, the water will be clear and since no one really knows where it comes from just leave the grommet outhe since putting it back in proves nothing except filling the sill up again!
post #9 of 15 Old 02-25-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help! I think I know where the water is coming from on to the foot well. I poured water in to the sunroofs front right drain hole, and it started dripping straight away on the the drivers side carpet from above or near the lever that opens the bonnet. There must be a blockage or damage to the drain pipe near its exit point. I could not find any post or pictures as to where that actually is and how to get to it.
Any ideas on how to find / cure this?

Thanks
post #10 of 15 Old 02-25-2015 Thread Starter

I wonder if the sunroof drain can be unblocked by inserting something trough the hole (don't know what) and pushing the blockage out?
Also if it is blocked shouldn't the water back out at the top of the drain pipe in the sunroof and then perhaps drip trough the roof liner, how does it end up on the carpet?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode