Clonking transmission at very low speed - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 13 Old 10-30-2010 Thread Starter

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: 2004 R5 TDI
Clonking transmission at very low speed

Hi, I have a 2006 (56) 2.5TDI SE Auto which has developed an intermittent clonking coming from the transmission when crawling in traffic. It tends to happen when coming off the gas. I have read some articles associated with this relating to the transmission valve body. Has anyone else had the same problem or could anyone shed some light on this.

Many thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-12-2011

Touareg: 2004 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
I think I have the same problem

I think I have the same problem - sounds like a knocking that gets quicker the faster you go then dies out.

I was told it could be the abs firing as this is a generic fault but I dont hink this is that - be iterested to hear the response

Cheers

Mark
post #3 of 13 Old 01-12-2011
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2009 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Hard to dia, but I would check center bearing on drive shaft, valves are usually on up change . Could be a few things !

Range Rover Sport SVD8 ,R50 R50 Biscay Blue gone, Had V10 TDi with everything,AUDI Allroad 2.7T Chipped sold, Audi TT Quattro TDi Sold , Audi SQ5 driven by my better half, BMW R1200GSW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-12-2011
Touareg Guru

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
The valve chest problem seems to manifests itself in the 5th to 4th gear change as the car comes under load, for example starting to go up a slight incline at around 40-45 mph. The thump is so distinctive and so hard you think the gearbox just fell out!

Sound more like the centre prop /drive shaft bearing.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-14-2011 Thread Starter

My Touareg has also recently developed additional faults. ABS light stays on and a brake assist workshop warning with a picture of a car going down hill. I believe I have diagnosed the abs problem as a faulty sensor in the abs pump....a costly replacement. Clonking remains although I wonder if I get the obvious faults fixed this may correct the clonking? I'll have the centre bearing checked to see if this solves the problem
post #6 of 13 Old 02-04-2011 Thread Starter

Tyre Sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
The valve chest problem seems to manifests itself in the 5th to 4th gear change as the car comes under load, for example starting to go up a slight incline at around 40-45 mph. The thump is so distinctive and so hard you think the gearbox just fell out!

Sound more like the centre prop /drive shaft bearing.
I finally got around to getting new tyres on the rear, front were approx 3 months old. No more transmission clonk!!! thanks for all your input
post #7 of 13 Old 02-04-2011
Touareg Guru

There should be no more than 3mm difference in the depth of the tyre tread between tyre on the front axle and those on the rear axle. The Treg is very sensitive to this.

If you had new tyres on the front and worn tyres on the rear then the differential has been trying to unwind the transmission wind-up caused by the difference in diameters, hence the clunks.

I am assuming you now have not only the same size tyres front and rear, but also the same make and "model"? A 235/65/17 tyre from one manufacturer can be quite different in the overall diameter to the same sizing from another tyre maker.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-07-2011 Thread Starter

Clonking Transmission cured

All tyres now the same 275 x 45 x 19. completely solved the issue. Only need to sort the Brake Assist Light issue and the esp light on. I have been advised that this is something to do with ABS pump faulty sensor.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-07-2011
Touareg Guru

I don't know if this applies to your ABS system but some VW ABS systems do have a known fault.

The Treg is not mentioned here which is why I put the caveat on.

VW Golf ABS failure - Telegraph

There is also a well known alternative fix recommended by Honest John in The Daily Telegraph should this be applicable in your case [and the symptoms you describe are exactly as written up on this web site]

VW Golf Touran ABS Pump Module problem

As their web page did not mention the Touareg I rang them up and they say they have experienced Treg failures and can rebuild for the Treg too for the £350 quoted.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-08-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V8
I had exactly this, i changed my drive / propeller shaft and the problem has gone.

It was the rubber around the bearing which was ripped and this was causing it apparently.

if your cars hitting the 70 - 80 k miles then likey this will need to be changed soon anyway.

I have to say it was a horrible sound, almost like a thud coming from under the gear stick, i was really worried when i first heard it and it only did it upon backing off the accelerator at low speed.

I would get the car up on a ramp and have a look to see what your bearings like you should be able to see easily enough.

Tags
body , transmission , valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode