Bringing my US Touareg 2011 to Germany - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 15 Old 01-25-2012 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Other
Bringing my US Touareg 2011 to Germany

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has shipped their Touareg over to Germany from US? I have to bring mine and it is all paid for to ship, just wondering after it went through TUV what was your experience?

Thanks,

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-25-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Chuck - I have no answer for you, but am very interested in your experience, i.e. what precisely is involved. A brief write-up once the process is complete would be wonderful.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-25-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
For what?

Permanent move or temporary assignment?

If permanent and you are going to register it in Germany then you have to get:

- compliance certificate from VW that it meets the safety belt, emission etc regulations in local country.

- change headlights to meet the European regulations (the beam pattern is different) and headlight housing have to show the E stamp

- change the rear outer tail light to use amber turn signals and then use either vag-com or dealer the activate the European turn signals (brake light is brake light and turn signal is own reflector)

If temporary then you need to get approval from customs and then get insurance and temporary plates. Last time I was involved with these things in Europe, the head light swap was mandatory but the tail lights and red or amber blinker was up to the country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-25-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Take it to Germany, do the V8 TDI + 4XMotion + air suspension swap, bring it back and I will buy it .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-25-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
are you in the military??
post #6 of 15 Old 01-25-2012
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by maloosheck View Post
Take it to Germany, do the V8 TDI + 4XMotion + air suspension swap, bring it back and I will buy it .
Yeah, since that will work better then trying to get VW to bring one here.

2010 Alaska Grey/Anthracite V6 TDI- Lux,Tech, Air and Hitch

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-26-2012 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Not in the Military
post #8 of 15 Old 01-26-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti
Yeah, since that will work better then trying to get VW to bring one here.
Sad that we lost all the cool options, I'm sure if they were more popular/more people knew about them, we would have such options. Although, it's nice to drive something unique and for those that don't know how great they are, I guess that's just too bad for them.

2004 V6, Nav, Air, love it more and more everyday
post #9 of 15 Old 01-26-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
If one wants the 4XMotion to US then it would be cheaper to fly to Germany with pile of cash and visit the VW factory and order one with US specs.

All 5 German car manufacturers (Audi-VW-Porsche, MB and BMW) in Germany provides this type special order service as it is done from production parts, just special configuration.

My father used to do these orders, visit the factory to do the order and have production schedule and delivery date, pay and in person pick up the car from either factory in Germany and deliver the car to customer.

It's not that they can't make one, it's the VW-Audi North America who chose the import models and trims based on previous years sales of each special feature, like air suspension etc.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-26-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Hmmm, although that sounds nice I bet it would end up with a VIN# not accepted for import. NA's got all these crash test rules as well as emissions and as soon as you go changing this like 4xmotion and air suspension it becomes a configuration never tested despite the fact that everything should be USA spec.

Crash test and EPA cert will not apply and you would never be able to permanently import that vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinbus View Post
If one wants the 4XMotion to US then it would be cheaper to fly to Germany with pile of cash and visit the VW factory and order one with US specs.

All 5 German car manufacturers (Audi-VW-Porsche, MB and BMW) in Germany provides this type special order service as it is done from production parts, just special configuration.

My father used to do these orders, visit the factory to do the order and have production schedule and delivery date, pay and in person pick up the car from either factory in Germany and deliver the car to customer.

It's not that they can't make one, it's the VW-Audi North America who chose the import models and trims based on previous years sales of each special feature, like air suspension etc.

2014 White/Saddle Exec/R-Line TDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode