Recommended snowboarding destination in Colorado - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 13 Old 11-19-2006 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Recommended snowboarding destination in Colorado

Wife and I are thinking about heading out to Colorado for a snowboarding trip this season and figured you guys could provide better insite than anything I can find on the web.

Here's what I'm looking for help/recommendations on:
Resort
I prefer intermediate to advanced runs and I love getting off in the trees. I never go near the terrain park. My wife is still a beginner so easy/intermediate runs for her.

Lodging
I'm not made of money so would prefer something other than lodging at the resort.

TIA

'05 Treg V8 pkg 3
'03 Golf TDi
'87 Audi 4000CS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-19-2006
Touareg Enthusiast

Up until katrina my family and I went to beaver creek every year. Its about 45 minutes outside of vail.

2008 T2
2007 Touareg (Gone)
2004 Touareg (Gone)
2002 LR Freelander (Gone)
post #3 of 13 Old 11-19-2006
Still Plays With Cars

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2006 V10 TDI
Garage
Not much of a boarder. If money is an issue, you might want to stay away from Beaver Creek/Vail. Consider Copper Mountain, Keystone, Loveland and Winter Park. If you want to go north, look at Steamboat.

// 06 V10 TDI, Reflex Silver/Teak--Loaded

// 06 V8, Campy White/Teak--Air--DVD NAV--Backup Cam--Kessy--Winter--Xenon--RDL--Factory Hitch--Dakar Offroad Front Skid Plate
// 08 27' Airstream International CCD :: Airforums.com Member - "Westfalia"
// 77 VW Transporter Westfalia P21 Weekender, 2.0L Fuel Injection, Pastel Weiß/Orange Plaid--STOCK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-\ CLUB TOUAREG ADMINISTRATOR -\
Please read our Club Touareg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and our

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-19-2006
Touareg Addict

I'm headed back to Beaver Creek and Vail in January, both are excellent areas, but a bit spendy. I am on two sticks though, still working on the snowboard deal. Also, Im not a tree-dodger, but some friends that are had a blast at both resorts, especially near Bachelor Gulch at BC. Personally, I loved the Vail back bowls, especially Blue Sky Basin.

When we went last January, I bought a 3-day lift ticket, and it was $240. This was discounted, I think it was $85 a day if bought individually. Lodging also was $$$$$, but split among friends (some of us on the floor helped, I think we had 7 in a condo for 4) it wasn't awful. We rented a condo at the Seasons at Avon, near Beaver Creek. It was nice, but may be too much if it's just the two of you.

Anyway/where you go, I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Matt

Gone, but never forgotten: 2005 V6, Shadow Blue/Kristal Grey, Package 1 (Xenons/Sound 1)

Bye bye Blue...

|
|
post #5 of 13 Old 11-20-2006 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Thanks guys. Are any of the resorts out there ski only resorts?

So far, we're leaning towards Winter Park.

'05 Treg V8 pkg 3
'03 Golf TDi
'87 Audi 4000CS
post #6 of 13 Old 11-20-2006
Still Plays With Cars

Garage
Loveland is the only Ski-only area. Everything else has lodging and entertainment around the base area.

If you fly Frontier, you get a free ticket to Winter Park/Copper Mountain if you show your flight ticket stub.

// 06 V8, Campy White/Teak--Air--DVD NAV--Backup Cam--Kessy--Winter--Xenon--RDL--Factory Hitch--Dakar Offroad Front Skid Plate
// 77 VW Transporter Westfalia P21 Weekender, 2.0L Fuel Injection, Pastel Weiß/Orange Plaid--STOCK

and our

post #7 of 13 Old 11-20-2006 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled
Loveland is the only Ski-only area. Everything else has lodging and entertainment around the base area.

If you fly Frontier, you get a free ticket to Winter Park/Copper Mountain if you show your flight ticket stub.
Sorry, I should have been clearer; by ski only I meant no snowboarding allowed.

And thanks for the info on frontier. checking that out now.

'05 Treg V8 pkg 3
'03 Golf TDi
'87 Audi 4000CS
post #8 of 13 Old 11-20-2006 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

How clear are the roads kept? Do I really need to rent an AWD/4wd vehicle or can I get by with 2wd? I guess if I get the extra insurance I really don't have to worry about wrecking the car

'05 Treg V8 pkg 3
'03 Golf TDi
'87 Audi 4000CS
post #9 of 13 Old 11-20-2006
Still Plays With Cars

Garage
I think Keystone did away with that restriction several years ago. Not sure about Steamboat, not 100% sure about Winter Park but I don't think there are any restrictions on boarders.

As for vehicle choice, do as they did on "Jackass", get the full coverage and demolition derby it. Seriously, Berthoud Pass (to Winter Park) is not a picnic if the weather is foul, and even a trip up I-70 to Summit County and beyond can be very bad. However, save a complete blizzard, if you know how to drive in the snow, 2wd should suffice.

and our

post #10 of 13 Old 11-20-2006 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

By no means am I an expert in snow driving but I do have more experience than the typical socal person.

And actually i think i've found a way to avoid renting a car: The ski train to winter park looks much better than renting a car and you get lift tickets $35 cheaper if you buy them from the train.

'05 Treg V8 pkg 3
'03 Golf TDi
'87 Audi 4000CS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode