New Owner of a 06 V10 TDI! - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 10 Old 10-27-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
New Owner of a 06 V10 TDI!

I posted last week that I was looking at one of these rigs. Well I went to look at it on Saturday and fell in love with it. Its a 2006 V10 TDI Black on Black, with 122,000 miles on it.

I was even able to get a full powertrain warranty to help with any repairs for those systems should anything fail. And it covers me for the next 5 yrs and 75,000 miles.

I am hoping to connect with fellow owners in the MN area at some point. And if anyone has a Vag Com cable that I could maybe borrow some day that would be great (perhaps over some drinks or something). I will be looking into getting one, but I need to replenish the funds first.

Still looking for any advice or help with this new adventure. Someday I would like to chip it and maybe an aftermarket exhaust. But again that will be later on down the road.

Hope you all enjoy the Pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141025_110646.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	557.3 KB
ID:	76146   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141025_110704.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	451.6 KB
ID:	76154  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141025_144654.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	76162  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-27-2014
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
You got a 5 year 75K power train warranty on an 8 year old V10 with 122K already on the clock??

**** me!!

Well done!!!

Regardless, if you haven't done so, take time to carefully read this thread and all the links - loads of info that might save you money in the future:

Buying a used Touareg. What to look for. - myTreg forums
post #3 of 10 Old 10-27-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Garage
That is correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-27-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Garage
Thank you for the link. I did read that last week. I am thinking of changing the oil next weekend, just because I don't know when it was last changed. Can you do the oil yourself or is it preferred to take it in to someone? I would really like to do it myself if possible since I will be paying close to $100 for the oil and filter alone.

Also, was wondering if anyone has done brakes on these before and could recommend a set of rotors and pads. I would really like to upgrade to a better rotor and pad combination to help this 6,000lb beast stop a little better.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-27-2014
Touareg Guru

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Yes, you can do it yourself.

You have read up ALL about the CORRECT oil to use in your V10 . . . haven't you?

If not, PLEASE DO SO.

Even VW dealers put the wrong oil in these and the V10 [and the R5] can suffer from premature camshaft lobe wear as a result.

There are loads of brake threads on here with dozens of opinions but one common theme is Zimmermann rotors [the hubs don't rust like OEM and others] and OEM PAGID pads. [PAGID make pads for Brembo by the way]
post #6 of 10 Old 10-27-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Garage
I still need to read up a little more about the oil, but I think I know which weight to get, but will be double and triple checking before buying.

Again thank you for the advice and knowledge. I am hoping to get as much knowledge from here as I possibly can.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-27-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonSr View Post
Thank you for the link. I did read that last week. I am thinking of changing the oil next weekend, just because I don't know when it was last changed. Can you do the oil yourself or is it preferred to take it in to someone? I would really like to do it myself if possible since I will be paying close to $100 for the oil and filter alone.

Also, was wondering if anyone has done brakes on these before and could recommend a set of rotors and pads. I would really like to upgrade to a better rotor and pad combination to help this 6,000lb beast stop a little better.
At the risk of starting an "oil war" I'll say that I use the Mobile 1 Diesel Truck Oil in mine. It takes a lot! The job is easily done, I think the only trick is getting the cap off the filter housing. I use a giant pair of channel lock pliers and work it loose gently. It's plastic so you want to use a 5 1/2 inch channel lock so that you aren't putting a lot of clamping pressure on the plastic. You can get the actual tool for about $40 - do a search of the forums because suppliers have been posted. Make sure to get a new aluminum crush washer for the drain plug and a new seal for the filter housing. I always buy the filter from the dealership and they throw in a crush washer for free. Otherwise it's about a dime. I did try buying the filter online once and they sent the wrong one but the dealer usually knows which one you need. But bring the part number just in case. (07Z115562 )

I won't start a "rotors / pads" war because I got slammed the last time I mentioned the rotors and pads that I bought. Do some research here and make an informed choice for your application and desired results. I got a kit that came well recommended by other owners that included all new clips, pins, sensors, bolts, caliper grease, etc... for under a grand. I didn't reuse any of the old rusty parts. PM me for details because I won't say it in the open forum again - then research it and see if they are right for you. Also note that the slanted vents in some rotors must point in the right direction, so there is a left and right rotor (depending on the brand).

I will say that the job is not that difficult, you just need the right tools and the time. I found a triple square plus hex driver set on Amazon that had all the sizes I needed for a reasonable price:
Neiko 40-Piece Industrial Grade S2 Power Hex, Torx, XZN Triple Square Socket Bit Set - Triple Square Drive Sockets - Amazon.com

I worked on one corner at a time - be sure to lock the air suspension and support on jack stands and have plenty of PB Blaster on hand for the rusty parts. By the fourth one you'll be a pro. I did have some of the bolts locked up and used a 4 foot cheater pipe to bust them free, but everything else came off with an air impact wrench.

FYI - it stops on a dime, quiet braking, and average dust.

Look on YouTube for some videos of performing this brake job. Pay attention to the sequence of events, but the rest is just wrench turning. Lots of people on here have done it, so you can get lots of help or advice.

Good luck!!

David W. Allen, GISP

2004 Touareg V10 TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
1974 Thing
post #8 of 10 Old 10-28-2014

Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
You have read up ALL about the CORRECT oil to use in your V10 . . . haven't you?

If not, PLEASE DO SO.
Since I don't own an owners manual for a Touareg, is the posted info different than what is in an owners manual? (I'm not looking for a robust explanation -- just a heads-up since I'm looking at TDI V10s along with later V8s.)
post #9 of 10 Old 10-28-2014

Second Vehicle: too many to list
Oh ... Congrats, ArgonSr
post #10 of 10 Old 05-22-2015

Touareg: 2004 V8
Sweet ride!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode