2006 heater blower motor stopped working - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 12 Old 01-10-2016 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2006 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
2006 heater blower motor stopped working

Good afternoon, new to this page. my wife has a 2006 and the blower motor has been working when it wants, and yesterday it finally stopped working. Should I start by replacing the resistor first? Thanks a lot for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-10-2016
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Try running in on HIGH. In that setting, the resistor array is not used and all of the electricity is sent to the motor. If it still doesn't work, then it's more likely the motor itself. How did it fail? Did it fail at all speeds, or just some speeds and then progress to all speeds? If it was progressive, then it "could" be the resistor array.

OTOH, if the array is easy to get to, it might be a less expensive place to start. I'm not sure if a VCDS scan will show you any trouble codes or not, but it's worth a shot.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-10-2016 Thread Starter

I have tried on high and luck. it started to work intermittently and would occasionally work and then not work. Then it finally just stopped working. it almost sounded like i could hear a hum sound of sort but nothing. I can get to the resistor through the back of the glove box very easily. The resistor is $114 through the local parts store.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-10-2016
Touareg Addict

Might want to try taking the motor out and seeing if it will work with direct 12V. Might be a PITA, but $114 is PRICEY for a part that may or may not be the culprit. If you pull the motor and test it, at least you know if it's good or not and know how to proceed from there. And you're only out you time, not any hard cash.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-10-2016 Thread Starter

Is the blower motor easy to get to? Thanks
post #6 of 12 Old 01-10-2016
Touareg Addict

Sorry, I have no idea. I haven't looked into it.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
post #7 of 12 Old 01-11-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsammons View Post
Is the blower motor easy to get to? Thanks
Not bad, but I would test in place with jumpers before pulling out. I have done two blowers, it is a back killer. Passenger side lower dash cover comes off, foot well light unplugs, foot well ventilation part pulls off and you can see the motor up behind the glove box. Plug is two pin and can be access w/o removal.

If you do remove, loosen right bottom bolt holding in glove box...it will cut you up otherwise and get in the way of removing the blower.

If you do remove blower. Watch very carefully how you fish it out. Hardest part is fishing it back in and bolting it up...one handed (unless you are super thin and can fit both arms under there.)

Failed blower are more common and make a distinct squeaky sound. Both mine went by being so sensitive to bumps and turns they would squeak and die. If none of this sounds like you, it likely isn't the blower. Sound...terrible squeaky...shrill bearing sounds are blower.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-22-2016

Touareg: 2004 V6
I just replaced the blower motor on my 2004. I bought original parts from the dealer. It was much more expensive than a replica, but its only money right. I first tested the wires to make sure the motor was getting electricity. If the wires were good then I figured it was the motor.

It is a pain to get the motor in and out but it can be done. A good light source is essential. it also helps to have a cooler or something next to the vehicle and level with the floorboard so your back isn't wrenched more than necessary. Also, I was confused because the noise the old one was making sounded like it was coming from under the steering wheel. The blower motor is located in my veh on the passenger side underneath the glove box.

Other than that, its basically taking one part out and putting the new one in. My new blower motor works like a dream. Good luck!!
post #9 of 12 Old 02-10-2016

Touareg: 2005 V6
Replaced my failing 2005 blower motor yesterday; the replacement was about $165 AutoZone fed-x delivered and relatively easy once positioned under the glove box.
tools needed: 5.5mm socket and extension
I was worried the glove box needed removing but not necessary; luckily several of my t20 glove box screws were not removable.
Be sure to replace the cabin air filter, while in the area.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-10-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2007 V6
Lol, was just going to carage to remove and lube the motor. Again. My cheap motor started making noise just after couple of months.

Well atleast its easy to get out...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode