2004 V8 Touareg - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 4 Old 01-08-2018 Thread Starter

Question 2004 V8 Touareg

I have been driving this car for a couple of years, no issues. I bought it officially from a friend last year and have had a few issues with it.

I've got a majority of them fixed but I'm still left with a few problems. One of them being a big battery drain, which I can't find the issue at all. I've replaced the battery, but just to "CHECK" the issue everyone wants to charge me nearly $300 and that's not even to fix the problem. Brakes / pads and rotors need to also be replaced, and of course the jockey box no longer stays closed.

I believe the issue is either the alternator itself or something to do with the Navigation unit I've read.

Unfortunately, I'm not mechanically inclined, so I'm looking for recommendations on trustworthy mechanics with great pricing. I am also underwater on the car, so this also means selling it will be a pain, if you have any recommendations here I'd be willing to listen. It's not a call to get out of the loan, I agreed to it, I owe the money that's fine, but I'm throwing away nearly $300 + a month with a car that just sits in my driveway.

I am in between Logan, UT and SLC, so any one in or between those areas would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-14-2018

Touareg: 2009 V6
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Do you have a vag-com? I'm up in SLC and could swing by and do a scan for you. No testimony on mechanics since I just moved here, but Wofford's European Car comes highly recommended, haven't used them, but just thought I'd pass it along
post #3 of 4 Old 04-14-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by azewr View Post
I believe the issue is either the alternator itself or something to do with the Navigation unit I've read.
There is also a third possibility. We have quite a few people having battery charging issues that are turning out that the electrical grounds need to be cleaned. This has just started being a common problem in the last 12 months.

Get a VCDS and measure the battery voltage via VCDS while the engine is running, while all possible devices (headlights, fan, etc) are running.

If you have a car battery charger that gives %charged readout when you hook it up, you will find that the battery is of a low charge. Apparently when this happens, the charging system never fully charges the battery. From the drivers side, it seems like the battery is nearly dead, but the problem is that the battery is never getting charged back up. Either way, you have a battery without enough charge in it to start the car.

The good news is bad electrical grounds are usually easy and cheap to fix. Finding them (diagnostic) will cost more then fixing them.

One owner actually checked and found the ground cable in the engine bay had started to deteriorate. So, have the mechanic look over that one wire to be sure that it is still in good shape. It was obvious, via a visual check, that the wire was going bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-14-2018
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Original (and only) post was in JANUARY 2018!!!

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode