Club Touareg Forum banner

Hybrid only

335K views 1K replies 137 participants last post by  CAD 
#1 ·
I think it's about time that we Hybrid owners had our own dedicated thread :) It seems that there are only a handful of us here but hopefully our numbers will grow with time. It would be great if we can post our problems and experience (hopefully good ones) in one thread instead of many different threads scattered all over the place. Please feel free to log anything hybrid related.

#712 ·
I've had a couple of Hybrid specific issues, one with a battery controller the other with the inverter. You really don't want the inverter go out on you, it's expensive. Mine was covered under the emissions warranty. Which brings me to the main point. Consider checking to see if it's still under some sort of warranty. Here in CA, the emissions warranty fully covered my repair. I would also consider getting a scan of any fault codes. Some of my issues were intermittent and were stored. Good luck.

#714 ·
So pretty normal stuff as it relates to the Touareg in general. Except for the additional battery check.

Based on the carfax it is a one owner car from CT originally that was traded in and then went to auction and was then bought by the dealer near me. Checked with VWoA and they said based on their records it still has the hybrid system and power train covered up to 100k or 10 years from the in service date so I’m ok there. Not a ton of service records on it but tires were recently done and there are no major service items coming up on the report. I did brakes recently on my 09 so it would suck to have to do them again soon, but we will see.

I think I have a winner on my hand but I’ll have to wait until I test drive it and see it in person.

#716 ·
Shopped around online and bought myself an APR smaller pulley during the Black Friday weekend with a pretty good 20% off.

Took me about 80 minutes to install this weekend, had to wait an hour to bake the new pulley, the real removal+installation is only 15 minutes since our engine bay was designed with w12 in mind, there's ample space to work compared to an Audi S4, you can skip a lot of steps on APR's manual.

I can confirm Racechip does not bleed the extra boost, at least not all. I'm seeing 12.x psi of boost compared to 11.x psi stock @ 5k rpm. Roughly 1.2 to 1.4 psi gain.

I think it's now somewhere between 460-500 HP total output. (funny to think it might be as powerful as some v8 SUVs but double the mpg) Actually majority of the power still comes from the chip keeping the bypass valve closed at high rpm.

For reliability, this Eaton 1320 TVS is capable of delivering 17 psi before spinning itself into parts. I will do some logging with VCDS to keep an eye on miss fire, but for the limited 50 mile after swap, didn't feel anything strange.

I will do some 0-60 runs in the spring, I'm simply too cheap to punish my Blizzaks. Standing start is not the best thing hauling around these mass, it actually shines the most from 35 and up, it can get in triple digits in a blink of an eye!

Attachments

#721 ·
I bought a 034motorsport boost tap that replaces a spacer just above the bypass valve and a generic pressure gauge. There are several tuning brands that offer similar boost taps, I found this to be the cheapest, but I did have to grind off where their logo is since Touareg Hybrid's CGF engine has a different fuel line design than other 3.0 TFSI's. Rubbing fuel line against a metal part is probably the last thing I'd want, lol.

Attachments

#722 ·
I'd also like to share some interesting findings on the oil capacity issue. The dip stick suggested earlier in the thread is actually not accurate to be used on Touareg Hybrid.

The correct tool is T40178

I did a quick comparison, if you already have the orange dip stick, you can see where the correct range is.

Attachments

#725 ·
I have not changed my 2012 and I’m at 130k miles. Now that you mention it, it is probably a good idea to do when I run the power cable up there for the amp in the back.

My understanding is that, yes the hybrid battery will start the car if the 12v battery is dead. I’m not sure where I read it, but that is my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#733 ·
I'm joining the electric club by importing a 2013 hybrid from California that will hopefully arrive next week. Curious if I'll like it as much as the diesels. Couple questions:

Are there extra emission features only required to run in California? Specifically wondering if CA required secondary air on these vehicles.

Does anyone have experience towing with the Hybrid? I'm pulling a travel trailer 6 -8 times a year and I'm curious to see what I'm in for.

#735 ·
Hello Everyone!

I am new to the thread. I have a 2012 Touareg Hybrid. I am looking for guidance on the touch sensitive door handles. Quite suddenly, all four handles are not functioning. Doors will not lock/unlock from the door handles. Both FOBs have new batteries and otherwise function normally. Just the handles are inoperative. Can someone point me in the right direction for this issue?

Thanks in advance!

#736 ·
DOrmston, the same thing has just recently happened to my '12 TDi. Had it into the dealership today (have a very good dealership/service relationship there), they said there is a TSB for key re-coding for this issue, they performed the TSB and reprogrammed the key. Only one hour labour cost. Problem is, it tested fully functional when I left, and during a couple of stops on the way home, but after being parked at home for a couple of hours, it's misbehaving again. I've left the service crew an email. We will see what they come up with.

#738 ·
Two weeks and 600 miles in the hybrid and here's what I know:

The brakes are like velcro
It's really easy to average 16 mpg if you're trying
It takes at least 3 days for the transmission shifts to catch up to your driving style

For those that get under the hood is it normal for there to be a lot of grime on the engine after 50k miles? Most modern engines stay pretty clean. It almost looks like there is/was an oil gasket leak which resulted in vaporized oil.

#739 ·
16 mpg? Either you are towing or drag racing. It should be easy to average 24 mpg if you are being gentle. (If you were joking, sorry.)

Grime often depends on your area. Mine gets grimy and mine vaporizes oil constantly. About 8-9k miles after an oil change my hybrid tells me to add 1/2 qt of oil. Then it will ask for another 1/2 about every 1k miles until I change the oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#740 ·
16 mpg? Either you are towing or drag racing. It should be easy to average 24 mpg if you are being gentle. (If you were joking, sorry.)

Grime often depends on your area. Mine gets grimy and mine vaporizes oil constantly. About 8-9k miles after an oil change my hybrid tells me to add 1/2 qt of oil. Then it will ask for another 1/2 about every 1k miles until I change the oil.
Mostly drag racing in sport mode for the first tank. it's still below freezing here so mileage will be meh plus the highway to work has a rise. I'm expecting about 19 MPG on average and have brought that up to 18 so there is hope. I'm coming from the diesel which would average 21 - 22 mpg on average mostly driving like I stole it.

Good to know on the vaporization, the top engine surfaces like the coils, valve cover etc. are all rather filthy. I know I have to order a dipstick, whereabouts is the inlet? Front Left or Right?

#741 ·
(in Wisconsin) Since flipping to winter blend fuel mine has begun to avg 15-16 at best with 50hwy/50city driving. Fresh oil change. Snow tires. I may need to cleanse the top end. I've never driven this hybrid in winter before this season either. But the mpg has been disappointing the last couple of months no matter how I drive.

And my oil sensor hasn't worked right for the last 20k, always reads over-full... So I just bought the manual dipstick. I hope to hear a reply on here where I can install this too.