Auto dimming mirror - Club Touareg Forums

Old 06-09-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Auto dimming mirror

Does anyone know how to turn on/off the auto dimming feature of this mirror? There are no physical buttons on the mirror itself...

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2189.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	522.8 KB
ID:	223661  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
The easiest way would be to just cover the light sensor with some opaque material, like a piece of tape, so the mirror never realizes it's being sheen at. Or if you want to make things complicated, you could disconnect the electronics part of it, or adjust its sensitivity (ie. the point at which it starts to dim) in VCDS.

However, if your problem is that it's also "dimmed" in bright sunlight, then that's because the layers inside the mirror glass have separated and oxidized, and you'll have to replace the mirror to fix that.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

brobb

This is of no help to your subject about dimming the mirror. But i was wondering how you got a frameless mirror on a 2016? did it come with that mirror? I thought that was a 2017 thing only? I would like that mirror for my 2016. It has the standard framed mirror.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Brobb & Gnits - I bought it. My 2016 originally came with the big ugly mirror as well and I replaced it with the framless 2017 version. It is a direct replacement and that is what promted this thread. So I guess my question should be more directed toward 2017 owners.

The original big chunky mirror has a on/off button on the bottom of the mirror that controls the auto dimming feature. This framless mirror has no pysical buttons, so it is just on all of the time.

Did VW remove the on/off control of the auto dimming feature when they went frameless on the 2017 or is there some other way to control it?

The mirror is brand new and functions correctly so I have no issues with it. My question is more out of curiosity...

If anyone else would like to know, the part number for the 2017 framless mirror is 7P6-857-511-AD-9B9 and it is a direct replacement fit for at least 2015-2016 Touaregs, most likely all T3's...

Thanks for the replies.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Hi DMCAFL,

Thanks for the informative response. I am with you on the look of the framed mirror being ugly. I definitely want to get one..but dang...they are expensive. I will be curious to hear what someone says about your dimming feature. That is strange they did away with buttons. Thanks for the part number as well. I appreciate you posting that.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnits View Post
or adjust its sensitivity (ie. the point at which it starts to dim) in VCDS.
There is no adjustment of the mirrors sensitivity, it is directly proportional to the amount of light hitting the photosensor.

'81 Rabbit S 16vG60 | '01 A6 2.7TT 6MT | '15 Touareg TDI Exec R-line

- OEM air suspension retrofit
- OEM parking heater retrofit
- OEM Easy-Open hatch retrofit
- OEM ambient lighting retrofit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in