2012 Executive trim Treg TDI - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
2012 Executive trim Treg TDI

Hey all!

I come from the Mk5 TDI's mainly as well as some VAG gasser stuff. I'm looking into an SUV for the family and we've alway's loved the Touareg's. I understand their rather exoticness(?) within the VAG line but, being a hobbyist mechanic familiar with VAG products, I feel my ownership costs would weigh as heavy as the average consumer.

There is a 2012 Executive trimmed TDI near me with 27k miles. It was 'fixed' a couple weeks ago and is now for sale. It's obviously sat around a lot. The dealer had it listed for $27k and just reduced it to $25.5k today. With my research it doesn't seem worth anything over $22k to me. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I was wondering how accurate the KBB values are within the Touareg world and if there are any generational changes after the 2012 that would make someone who knows the platform want to stay away from the 2012 for some reason. The thing is obviously going to depreciate, even from a good purchase price, like a tank but we tend to keep vehicles for 10 years or more so most of them end up worth little at the end.

Am I correct in my understanding that the emissions/engine warranty is 48mo/48k miles or something from the date and mileage of purchase from the dealer. It would also have the CPO 2yr/unlimited mileage warranty as well. Having an engine warranty through 6/2023 would make the thing more comfortable to me.

Our other ventures for an SUV include a 2006-2007 Lexus LX 470 and Toyota Sequoia. Those two are polar opposites of the Touareg but they are a little more practical as they're larger. They consume huge amounts of fuel and drive like trucks so the refined Touareg is still very appealing to us.

Thanks a ton for any advice you may have!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

I can't find the edit button.

I meant to type that, I feel my ownerships costs would NOT weight as heavy as they would with most consumers.
post #3 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago

Garage
I looked at a 2012 Executive today, listed at $22,995 at a local VW dealer known for their high pricing. Has 57,000 miles. Has not been "fixed" yet, but I am not sold on it. But with the CPO warranty it would be covered for a lot of "bad things" like water pump, center bearing etc that have issues around the 100,000 mile mark.

The new emissions warranty is 10 years/120,000 miles after the fix is done.

The 2015 facelift included adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning and new headlights/accents. 2016 included ventilated seats, which I kind of want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
I have a 2015 TDI Execline Touareg. I didn't think I would like the adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning, but I have really come to appreciate those features the more highway miles I do. The Touareg TDI is definitely in its element at 65+ mph on grand touring roads!

If you plan to keep the Treg for more than a year, and you do highway driving regularly, then I recommend splurging a bit for the Execline or Highline features. The R-Line is particularly interesting if you like paddle shifting and a firmer suspension.

Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
post #5 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago

p.s. towards answering your question about blue book value: the price of Treg's will go lower if you wait another six months, BUT they are fast becoming a rarity vehicle with a niche audience. Since the diesel scandal buyback of last year, the people with Touareg diesels have either chosen to keep them with the 'sorry' money from VW, or have sold them.

The number of Execline / Highline / R-Line TDI's you will find are dwindling. If you think this is the SUV for you, then I encourage you to find a loaded model and start haggling now.

p.p.s. Canada has good lubricity quality in all diesel. If you can score a Canadian Touareg TDI, the HPFP system will have less risk of metal shavings, and the exchange rate might help save you on the final price.

p.p.p.s. In the CanadianBlackBook.com screenshot below, a 2014 Touareg TDI Execline loaded, with 93,000 miles (150,000km), is averaging $31,358 CAD. This is $24,121 USD with 1.30 exchange rate. Allowing for 2012 age, your proposed value of $22,000 USD is bang on.

post #6 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

We keep vehicles for a long time generally. Our Mk5 BRM TDI is at 286k and going strong. Being a hobbyist mechanic, I can keep things going for the price of parts for the most part.

The miles seem to weigh heavily on values on these, even messing with KBB. If we were to get this one with the low miles I would be pretty comfortable knowing that whatever maintenance that was required was done prior to me followed by my strict adherence to maintenance guidelines to promote a healthy ownership over the long term.

Does $22k sound like what a 30k miles 2012 Executive should realistically be worth or is it worth slightly more?
post #7 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago

Can you get the vehicle's service and ownership history to confirm it is accident - free? And does it have air - adjustable suspension?

30,000 miles is low use, and the dealer will likely play that card when negotiating.

I would offer $22k, but expect $24. 4k as the final price.

post #8 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago

Also: VW does cover TDI dieselgate engines with extended warranty, including DPF and emissions treatment systems, and all powertrain portions affected by any failure of the diesel systems. (2013 model year and later)

Here is the Canadian warranty description https://owners.vwmodels.ca/tdiwarranty/
and a description of the 10-year, 120,000 mil extended warranty: https://owners.vwmodels.ca/pdf/MY201..._2.2_VW_EN.pdf.

This extended warranty may not apply to the 2012 MY, but keep this customer protection in mind as you shop.

post #9 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanadian783 View Post
Also: VW does cover TDI dieselgate engines with extended warranty, including DPF and emissions treatment systems, and all powertrain portions affected by any failure of the diesel systems. (2013 model year and later)

Here is the Canadian warranty description https://owners.vwmodels.ca/tdiwarranty/
and a description of the 10-year, 120,000 mil extended warranty: https://owners.vwmodels.ca/pdf/MY201..._2.2_VW_EN.pdf.

This extended warranty may not apply to the 2012 MY, but keep this customer protection in mind as you shop.
Per the VIN from the VW website, this one has the 10y/120k mile from entrance to service or 4y/48k mile from purchase date (whichever comes later) warranty on the emissions controls. That is the primary thing leaning us towards this vehicle over the tried and true Land Cruiser platform. If we financed for 5 years, 4 of those 5 years would have all of the expensive stuff covered under warranty.
post #10 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago

^The Touareg TDI (7P generation) is a medium-risk/medium-maintenance/high-reward proposition. And being that we drivers have a lot of control over the TDI mechanical risks and maintenance, it has been very worth it for me and my appetites.

I love having an understated premium SUV that is a pleasure to drive. Much more subtle than a luxury Cayenne, Rover, or X5, but with equivalent or better performance for highway driving and towing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode