Sunny Corner to Capertee (Australia) - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 10 Old 09-22-2009 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Sunny Corner to Capertee (Australia)

Jump over to the Oz pages and check out the Australian (NSW) outing from last Sunday. https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f6...r-27256-9.html
Plenty of photos, and a great day out. 7 Touaregs an Audi Q5 and an LR3.

cheers,

..Neil

gone but not forgotten...'05 R5 TDI, factory spare, phatbox, paddles and more
Previous 4x4s: Suzukis '76 LJ50 + '81 Sierra, '83 Subaru, '82 Hilux, '87 Pajero, '87 Troopie, '91 Ford Raider, Nissan Patrols '98 + '01 ,
Current: Audi Q5 2.0 TDI 7sp S-tronic (DSG)
SWMBO: Audi A1 1.4 TFSI 7sp S-tronic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-27-2009
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Looks like a good-natured lot having a fun day on the trails!

Good to see Bob didn't need the snorkel this go-around. How'd the Q5 manage? That front looks low.

Enjoyed reading the whole thread as much as the photos. Thanks for posting.

--Chris

2010 VW Touareg V6TDI | AK Gray/Anthracite | Air Suspension | Lux Package | Factory Hitch | 17" Makalus (5) | CBI Fold Down Tire Carrier | Antec Underride Protection Plate & Extension | 265/65R17 General Grabber AT2s (5)
post #3 of 10 Old 09-28-2009
Touareg Enthusiast

Well, from a spectator's point of view, the crunch of much plastic looked mighty close on a number of occasions. But, looking underneath, there was surprising little sign of contact and the underside is quite smooth for easy sliding, at least over dirt humps.

Moonan's lines to compensate for lack of approach angle and low range meant that he had to struggle at times, especially in the shot where he is perched at a funny angle on top of an erosion hump.

04 R5, Black Magic, Trail Cloth, Scorpion ATRs, Towbar, Parking Sensors, Sunroof, VW roofracks, Phatbox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-28-2009 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by schubie View Post
Looks like a good-natured lot having a fun day on the trails!

Good to see Bob didn't need the snorkel this go-around. How'd the Q5 manage? That front looks low.

Enjoyed reading the whole thread as much as the photos. Thanks for posting.

--Chris
Thanks for the comments Chris, we manage to enjoy ourselves here from time to time.. As you say, the whole thread makes for interesting / amusing reading, and no, Bob didn't need his snorkle this time! Refer to https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f6...end-23867.html for another interesting read - this time it's the story of when Bob DID need a snorkle, and of course his Touareg didn't have one.
As far as the Q5 goes, it is interesting seeing what it will and will not do. Ground clearance is 200mm (Touareg steel susp is 237), and approach angle is 25 deg, not much less than the Touareg's 28 deg. Ramp-over is more limited at 17.5 deg (T=22.5) so I was taking the erosion humps at a bit of a diagonal, but otherwise it wa smore a case of having to make a careful line through the terrain at a faster speed than I would have liked to put the engine into a reasonable torque band (with no low range). The DSG-type gearbox does not allow torque-converter-style slip like a proper auto box, so in very steep situations it tends to build up revs and then engage the clutch, launching the vehicle with a surge of speed that you need to bravely keep up with so as not to lose all momentum.

cheers,

..Neil

Previous 4x4s: Suzukis '76 LJ50 + '81 Sierra, '83 Subaru, '82 Hilux, '87 Pajero, '87 Troopie, '91 Ford Raider, Nissan Patrols '98 + '01 ,
post #5 of 10 Old 09-28-2009
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Scenic & Moonan--

Wow, I didn't realize how much of challenge it really was bringing the Q5 along. As you two point out, the right line can make a big difference. But I had no clue about the DSG issue. Makes sense in hindsight. No swipe at your wheels, Neil, but I'm glad to have a slushbox in mine.

Ah, Barrington's Weekend. I think that can officially be consider as having entered Club Touareg Legend (or Infamy). It certainly has sparked a lot of snorkel commentary...

Regards--Chris

2010 VW Touareg V6TDI | AK Gray/Anthracite | Air Suspension | Lux Package | Factory Hitch | 17" Makalus (5) | CBI Fold Down Tire Carrier | Antec Underride Protection Plate & Extension | 265/65R17 General Grabber AT2s (5)
post #6 of 10 Old 09-29-2009 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by schubie View Post
Makes sense in hindsight. No swipe at your wheels, Neil, but I'm glad to have a slushbox in mine.
I am planning on entering some serious technical discussions with Audi experts to try and find out how DSG is designed to operate, but to me it felt like a manual, you know, when you rev it up and then "drop the clutch" - away you go (except that it decides when to go)! ...all good fun

post #7 of 10 Old 09-29-2009
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonan View Post
I am planning on entering some serious technical discussions with Audi experts to try and find out how DSG is designed to operate, but to me it felt like a manual, you know, when you rev it up and then "drop the clutch" - away you go (except that it decides when to go)! ...all good fun
neil it is an automated manual and not an auto as far as my understanding goes

Current Garage:
Audi S3 Sedan 2015
MINI Cooper 2014
Triton 4x4 2014 - Jet Boat Tow Duty
1954 Beetle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

P76 Yup Neil, a Leyland P76
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 R5 Egg Luxury - My Dad's Pride and Joy - For Special Occasions in his Honour

Retired Garage:
Turbo Beetle 1.8
(retired)
Beetle 2.0 IKON (retired)
2011 FJ Cruiser (retired)
09 Pajero DiD "shorty" with double D's (retired)
07 Pajero 3.2 DiD (retired)

05 R5 Egg (scrambled and retired)
post #8 of 10 Old 09-29-2009 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Yeah Matthew that's my understanding too. So no torque converter, just a clutch - albeit a cleverly operated clutch. It is the detail of its operation under particular circumstances that fascinate me. The way it responded on the steepest and roughest exits from the creeks and gullies last weekend was a little surprising to say the least, and I want to learn more. First, with the ESP in Audi's "Off Road" mode, it stalled five times as I tried a little diagonal wheel lifting coming out of the first creek. I thought the game was over before it began. Not good. I'm a slow learner, so then I put the ESP back ON (normal), and it behaved like a Touareg, happily getting air under one or two wheels and continuing forward and upward. Better now, but what caused the stall? Why does the DSG not slip the clutch enough to prevent stalling?
Next question is the detail of how it behaves as going up very steep slopes at slow speed. you start up a slope, and then the terrrain makes you back off and slow down a bit - and then you gently apply power to maintain the new slow speed. But nothing happens at first, and you see speed bleeding down to nothing as the revs climb. At (somehting like) 2000rpm + (depending on the steepness and presumably the torque required for the job) it decides to send some of these revs to the road and the clutch engages, and you are propelled forward at a somewhat alarming speed. What I want the serious technical discussion about is to understand and tame this feature, and know when and how much throttle to apply to manage and control the vehicle's movement...
So, I'll post something like this on a couple of Audi forums and see if anyone knows anything useful, and am starting a dialog with my local Audi tech guy... I also want to know what use "ESP Off-Road" really is...

post #9 of 10 Old 09-29-2009
Touareg Mechanic

good info neil. i am sure once you know the 'logic' behind the clutch decisions you will be able to drive to the conditions better. Any day not being towed by the Tata is a good day!!

Current Garage:
Audi S3 Sedan 2015
MINI Cooper 2014
Triton 4x4 2014 - Jet Boat Tow Duty
1954 Beetle

P76 Yup Neil, a Leyland P76

04 R5 Egg Luxury - My Dad's Pride and Joy - For Special Occasions in his Honour

Retired Garage:
Turbo Beetle 1.8
(retired)
Beetle 2.0 IKON (retired)
2011 FJ Cruiser (retired)
09 Pajero DiD "shorty" with double D's (retired)
07 Pajero 3.2 DiD (retired)

05 R5 Egg (scrambled and retired)
post #10 of 10 Old 09-30-2009
Learner

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
interesting experience indeed Neil! no wonder you were shooting thru some of the hair raising sections!

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode