Ouray, CO: Need some quick advice! - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 07-02-2009 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Ouray, CO: Need some quick advice!

So, I arrived in Ouray a bit ago. I plan on doing some off-roading the next day and a half. I know a few of you have done the Club Touareg trips on Ouray in the past and I'd greatly appreciate some logistical advice. Here are the trails that are on the agenda:

- Yankey Boy Basin
- Governer Basin
- Imogene Pass
- Engineer Mountain / Poughkeepsie Gulch

So, this is what I was thinking in terms of logistics. Please tell me if this sounds like a good plan or if you think I should/need to adjust:

Friday (starting from Ouray):
Yankey Boy Basin
Governer Basin
Saturday (Starting from Telluride):
Imogene Pass
Engineer Mountain

Originally, I was planning on driving back to Colorado Springs Saturday afternoon so that I could arrive in time to join my neighbors in lighting some fireworks. It's about a 5 hour drive, so I'd have to leave absolutely no later than 4 p.m. The alternative is convince the girlfriend for us to stay an extra day so that I can do Engineer mountain as well. Is it worth it?

Any logistical advice or anything to help prioritize these trails would be appreciated. I don't have a whole heck of a lot of time, but want to do as much as I can with what I've got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-03-2009
Touareg Mechanic

Agree on Yankee Boy....Take your time and look around Sneffels and if the flowers have started, take some time at Twin Falls....the trail will get tougher beyond the composting toilet, but nothing you cannot handle. might stop at the toilet if you dont have a full size spare.

I would pass on Governor Basin....It is absolutely beautiful but there is a washed out tippy spot after the ledge that I dont want to take any more.

You could even go up Imogene, down to Tomboy and back to Ouray if you dont dally too much.

I would not miss going up Corkscrew Gulch, one of the best vistas in Colorado..then Hurricane Pass and California Pass to Animas Forks. Instead of Engineer which is a nice but easy run, you can consider Cinnamon over to American Basin. Prettiest flowers of anywhere.

If you do Engineer, be sure to go out to Oh Point near the top.

I only wish I was there with you!!!!

Rick

07 Touareg, V6, Air Suspension, Nav, Locking Diff, Towing Pkg
post #3 of 11 Old 07-03-2009
Still Plays With Cars

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2006 V10 TDI
Garage
No to Poughkeepsie Gulch. Everything else should be fine. Enjoy!

// 06 V10 TDI, Reflex Silver/Teak--Loaded

// 06 V8, Campy White/Teak--Air--DVD NAV--Backup Cam--Kessy--Winter--Xenon--RDL--Factory Hitch--Dakar Offroad Front Skid Plate
// 08 27' Airstream International CCD :: Airforums.com Member - "Westfalia"
// 77 VW Transporter Westfalia P21 Weekender, 2.0L Fuel Injection, Pastel Wei▀/Orange Plaid--STOCK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-\ CLUB TOUAREG ADMINISTRATOR -\
Please read our Club Touareg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and our

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-03-2009
Touareg Addict

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickanns View Post
I would pass on Governor Basin....It is absolutely beautiful but there is a washed out tippy spot after the ledge that I dont want to take any more.
Aw c'mon Rick, we had the leather extraction tool handy. (Actually, as bad as that area is, I think it should be a "leather extrication tool."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickanns View Post
I would not miss going up Corkscrew Gulch, one of the best vistas in Colorado..then Hurricane Pass and California Pass to Animas Forks. Instead of Engineer which is a nice but easy run, you can consider Cinnamon over to American Basin. Prettiest flowers of anywhere.

If you do Engineer, be sure to go out to Oh Point near the top.

I only wish I was there with you!!!!

Rick
x2 on all counts. If Cinnamon to American Basin is open/free of snow, go for it. It's beautiful out there! I still think Lake Como in the Corkscrew/Hurricane/California run is one of the most gorgeous places on the face of the planet. When you get to the top of Hurricane, be sure to get out and look around.

For more info, look at this link. (And I've got $20 on the two young boys in the story being Hap and Rick )

Matt

Gone, but never forgotten: 2005 V6, Shadow Blue/Kristal Grey, Package 1 (Xenons/Sound 1)

Bye bye Blue...

|
|
post #5 of 11 Old 07-03-2009 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Whew -- what a day! So, the plan changed a bit. We did Yankee Boy Basin, Governer's Basin AND Imogene Pass today! Yankee Basin was pretty cool, great scenery, but pretty crowded. We then did Governer's Basin, or as much of it as we could. About 2.5 miles up, there was still too much snow to go beyond. The girlfriend was perfectly fine with that -- she wasn't too thrilled being the passenger on that run! hehe

Because we got enough of an early start, we ended up doing Imogene pass starting off the trail by Yankee Basin and Governer's Basin near Ouray and took that all the way to Telluride. Let me preface this by saying that what inspired me to do this were the pictures from last year's rally. As good as those pictures were, after actually doing the trails today, those pictures did not do it justice. Imogene Pass was such a pleasure of a trail! The creek crossings were fun, there were quite a few challenging areas, and I can't say enough great things about the scenery. We took TONS of pictures, but it will probably be a few days before I get them uploaded.

Because we fit Imogene in today, we have time for 1, maybe 2 trails tomorrow. I promised the girlfriend that whatever trails we do, they wouldn't be too terribly difficult. Between the three trails we did today, stopping, getting out, exploring the areas, taking pictures, etc, today was a FULL day to say the least. Luckily, there was a hot tub in our hotel, so I'm feeling pretty refreshed right now, but the girlfriend passed out hard LOL.

Anyways, based on the pictures from last year's rally, I'm really leaning towards Cinnamon Pass to American Basin. I probably won't be able to get back online for a couple days after tonight, but I'll post pics and update this thread with what we end up doing.

Again, what inspired me to do this was reading last year's Rally thread and seeing all of the pictures. THANK YOU to the people who posted their experiences and pictures. We are THOROUGHLY enjoying ourselves out here!!! I've lived in Colorado most of my life and I don't think that I've ever seen such beauty in this state as I've seen today! The only disappointment is that there isn't a rally this year. It would have been GREAT fun doing all of these trails with a bunch of Touaregs! Hopefully next year!

Thank you all for your feedback!
post #6 of 11 Old 07-04-2009 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

As a result of some evening plans that got pushed up, we didn't get to do anymore trails today. That's okay, now I have reason to come back again to Ouray!

Anyways, here are some pics from my trip:

Trip to Ouray, CO
post #7 of 11 Old 07-05-2009
Touareg Mechanic

Great pics. Even having been there many times, I am still in awe of the beauty of the area. Looks like you and the Treg had a great day.

rick

07 Touareg, V6, Air Suspension, Nav, Locking Diff, Towing Pkg
post #8 of 11 Old 07-05-2009
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
I've been to a lot of places..but the rockies (from north to south) and southwest from colorado through Arizona/Nevada still put me in awe every time I find myself there.

thanks for sharing the pictures. I'm jealous!!

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
post #9 of 11 Old 07-05-2009
Touareg Guru

Second Vehicle: Other
I really miss that area. I absolutely love it

2006 V6, Campy White, VIN 46xxx, Anthracite w/ Sound 1 and Xenon Headlight Upgrades, Monster Mats, 3M Window Tint, Euro Headlight Switch, Gorilla Gear Cargo Mat, Clear Bra, VW Tow Pkg, VW V8 Style Exhaust Tips, 18' Manhattans & Silver Racks
2013 Audi allroad: Ibis White with Layered Oak Inlays
post #10 of 11 Old 07-06-2009
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREGinginCO View Post
I really miss that area. I absolutely love it
x2, me too

Matt

Gone, but never forgotten: 2005 V6, Shadow Blue/Kristal Grey, Package 1 (Xenons/Sound 1)

Bye bye Blue...

|
|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode