Off Roading in Touareg style - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 10 Old 10-13-2006 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2005 V6
Off Roading in Touareg style

San Gabriel canyon ohv area...
Azusa Ca,
anyone interested pls reply......
9am till when ever...................

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V6 Completely Custom 22" Black on Chrome 15.5 Flip Down Monitor, Aftermarket Nav 7" W/30gig HD,All 11spkrs Diamond Audio, 2 12" RF T-1 Power series....5000 W of Heart Pounding Bass[Audio Factory San Dimas, CA]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-13-2006

Touareg: 2008 V6
Second Vehicle: Other
Take my advise, don't take the Touareg to Azusa unless you have Air Suspension.

I have a 2005 Touareg base model. I offroad every week (almost, atleast I try to) during the fall and winter season. Offroading during fall is my favorite time because of the color changes on the land.

Anyway....

I went to Azusa twice with my Touareg and both times I damaged the car heavily. The second time that I went to Azusa was after church on Easter Sunday. I was headed to my fiances house coming from orange county towards Duarte and on the way, I went up to Azusa. The river was really high due to the rain fall we had during February and March this year. I went around the park and showed off big time. Everyone was stareing at the Touareg because I outperformed Jeeps on one of the hills in the center of the park.

To make a long story short....
On the way out, I crossed the river again bnut this time, I hit a really big rock. It was my fault. I got a little nervouse because the water was almost 3 feet deep so I sped up so I wouldn't get stuck but I still crossed it. I hit my transmission support bar on a rock and bent it up into the body of the Touareg. There was a Tow truck outside of the Park (luckily) and he towed me down to Pasadena VW.

Final Thoughts....
San Gabriel OHV Are is a mud boggin area. It is made for old lifted Jeep's, Ford's, Chevy's, and Dodges that we wouldn't care about banging up. You will bang up your Touareg at Azusa, and you don't want that. Parts are expensive. My repair was $4000.00.

The best Offroading area for Touaregs are dirt trails with hills to climb and manuever through, not mud bogging. But if you decide to go, I wish you luck and have fun. be Safe. Tread Lightly.

Shant Bashian

Touareg Fannatic!
post #3 of 10 Old 10-20-2006
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V8
Location: Wonderland (... OH!, you mean in reality... "The Land of the Dirt People")
Send a message via AIM to TheMadHatter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBash
Take my advise, don't take the Touareg to Azusa unless you have Air Suspension.

I have a 2005 Touareg base model. I offroad every week (almost, atleast I try to) during the fall and winter season. Offroading during fall is my favorite time because of the color changes on the land.

Anyway....

I went to Azusa twice with my Touareg and both times I damaged the car heavily. The second time that I went to Azusa was after church on Easter Sunday. I was headed to my fiances house coming from orange county towards Duarte and on the way, I went up to Azusa. The river was really high due to the rain fall we had during February and March this year. I went around the park and showed off big time. Everyone was stareing at the Touareg because I outperformed Jeeps on one of the hills in the center of the park.

To make a long story short....
On the way out, I crossed the river again bnut this time, I hit a really big rock. It was my fault. I got a little nervouse because the water was almost 3 feet deep so I sped up so I wouldn't get stuck but I still crossed it. I hit my transmission support bar on a rock and bent it up into the body of the Touareg. There was a Tow truck outside of the Park (luckily) and he towed me down to Pasadena VW.

Final Thoughts....
San Gabriel OHV Are is a mud boggin area. It is made for old lifted Jeep's, Ford's, Chevy's, and Dodges that we wouldn't care about banging up. You will bang up your Touareg at Azusa, and you don't want that. Parts are expensive. My repair was $4000.00.

The best Offroading area for Touaregs are dirt trails with hills to climb and manuever through, not mud bogging. But if you decide to go, I wish you luck and have fun. be Safe. Tread Lightly.
MrBash

Sounds like you need to ask MountainLord about his full length skid plate for next time.

Just a thought.

tMH (aka: The Artist formerly known as Garry)

2006 VW RG/PB V8 Touareg (Now I just need to wash it ... and maybe replace the windshield!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-29-2007

Send a message via AIM to rontheancient
Besides Azusa Canyon, are there any good places for novices and beginners to test the Touareg's offroad capability?

2005 V6, Offroad Grey-Anthracite, Pkg 4, VIN 076XXX
post #5 of 10 Old 07-29-2007

I'd like to do a novice/beginner trail around so cal also.

2000 B5 Passat 1.8T
2008 GTI
2008 Audi S4 Avant
post #6 of 10 Old 07-29-2007
Touareg Mechanic

You folks should have shook loose and come to the just completed 2007 Colorado Touareg Rally. We had several novice off-roaders and they are accomplished now after last week. oh well, there's 2008 coming sooner than we think.

Rick

07 Touareg, V6, Air Suspension, Nav, Locking Diff, Towing Pkg
post #7 of 10 Old 07-29-2007

Send a message via AIM to rontheancient
I dont think I could drive all the way to Colorado. Too bad there arent many like those in LA.

2005 V6, Offroad Grey-Anthracite, Pkg 4, VIN 076XXX
post #8 of 10 Old 07-29-2007
Touareg Mechanic

I don't know, Ron. We are in our 60's. We also had a delightful man our age there and he brought his 92 year old father! It was a great time.

Rick

07 Touareg, V6, Air Suspension, Nav, Locking Diff, Towing Pkg
post #9 of 10 Old 07-29-2007
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2009 V6
Send a message via Yahoo to Arkarch
The "Main Divide" and associated roads in the Santa Ana Mountains are pretty decent. Its a shelf road with some rocky spots that spans the main Saddleback peaks, including Modjeska and Santiago around 5600'. It starts at Ortega Highway near Lake Elsinore and ends near Silverado Canyon. Its probably closed now due to fire danger, but certain parts of the year is accessible. Check the U.S. Forest Service for specific rules and gate openings.

2009 Alaska Gray VR6 w/ Air + Tech + Lux + Hitch + 265/70/17 Tires
2006 Colorado Red V6 retired
Collect all 50 state colors!
Landscapes -

Motorsports -

Moab: Hells, Fins, TowerArch, Klondike, Shafer, Kane, 7MileRim, Dome;
Ouray: Engineers, Imogene, Corkscrew, California, Hurricane, Cinnamon, Yankee, Governors, Buffalo;
Anza-Borrego: Arroyo Seco Del Diablo, Sin Nombre, Oriflamme, Carrizo, Rodriguez;
post #10 of 10 Old 08-19-2007

Touareg: 2008 V6
Second Vehicle: Other
san gabriel OHV area is not fun with the Touareg. The best thing to do with the Touareg is take a back country road trail ride and then have lunch when you get to the peak of the mountains and then ride home. Take my advise. I have been doing this since 05. my touaregs been in some pretty weird places no sane man would take a touareg.

Shant Bashian

Touareg Fannatic!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode