Moab in Fall - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 12 Old 04-14-2009 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2009 V6
Send a message via Yahoo to Arkarch
Moab in Fall

A few of us have been talking getting together for Moab in October. We did this a couple years ago and it was an excellent time to visit - fairly cool and just before winter sets in.

This will be a weekend-centric type trip - the key trails - Fins, maybe Hells, etc. Its possible we may do some stuff on a Monday afterward or Friday before. I guess it depends on which way the wind blows; its mostly decided the morning of.

With Moab, its generally expected that everyone has Touareg off-road experience. You'll want to have that vehicle confidence before playing on the slickrock. Doing the Touareg Rally in Colorado is highly recommended before coming out.

All this is based on only a couple phone calls and emails; I dont even know what Touareg I may have by then.

2009 Alaska Gray VR6 w/ Air + Tech + Lux + Hitch + 265/70/17 Tires
2006 Colorado Red V6 retired
Collect all 50 state colors!
Landscapes -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorsports -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Moab: Hells, Fins, TowerArch, Klondike, Shafer, Kane, 7MileRim, Dome;
Ouray: Engineers, Imogene, Corkscrew, California, Hurricane, Cinnamon, Yankee, Governors, Buffalo;
Anza-Borrego: Arroyo Seco Del Diablo, Sin Nombre, Oriflamme, Carrizo, Rodriguez;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-30-2009
Touareg Enthusiast

UGH -- I wish I could go. I'll be getting married this fall, so unlikely that I'd be able to go
post #3 of 12 Old 05-01-2009 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Moab has some wonderful mountain biking, hiking, rafting, and scenic boat ride activities. Plan a honeymoon!

I'll try to get more specific information as we get into the summer.

Landscapes -

Motorsports -

Ouray: Engineers, Imogene, Corkscrew, California, Hurricane, Cinnamon, Yankee, Governors, Buffalo;
Anza-Borrego: Arroyo Seco Del Diablo, Sin Nombre, Oriflamme, Carrizo, Rodriguez;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-01-2009
Touareg Enthusiast

BTW, I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed all of the pictures that you've posted. I've bookmarked your gallery. I've spent quite a bit of time enjoying your pictures! Thanks for posting them -- I greatly enjoy them!
post #5 of 12 Old 06-14-2009

Any update? im thinking about this.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-14-2009 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

I have not done much more with this... We'll need to select the weekend - most likely no later than mid-October since the weather will begin to break down for winter. I'd like to make a run east to Telluride / Imogene /Ouray on the departure, but we'll see.

Landscapes -

Motorsports -

post #7 of 12 Old 09-13-2009
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Karl, are you for sure making this happen the third weekend in October? If I can make this with out using any days off work I am in. Only issue I have at the moment is my full size spare is a tad smaller then my daily use tires and I am not sure if I can pick up the correct size one before I get there. I am not interested in the obscure trails you guys did where stuff was questionable in a steel suspended treg. If it is an air only trail ride then I may just stay home. I just don't want to incur anymore damage than what I have on it so far from Ouray.

It is a good call in saying that if you have no previous offroad experience at all in your Treg, this is not really the place to learn how you and your Treg react to terrain. You must be totally in tune with the experienced people on the trail with you and realize they are not going to put you in any harm at all. You truly need to listen to the more experienced people with you also.

2010 Alaska Grey/Anthracite V6 TDI- Lux,Tech, Air and Hitch

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-13-2009
Still Plays With Cars

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2006 V10 TDI
Garage
Sorry, I am firmly out this year.

// 06 V10 TDI, Reflex Silver/Teak--Loaded

// 06 V8, Campy White/Teak--Air--DVD NAV--Backup Cam--Kessy--Winter--Xenon--RDL--Factory Hitch--Dakar Offroad Front Skid Plate
// 08 27' Airstream International CCD :: Airforums.com Member - "Westfalia"
// 77 VW Transporter Westfalia P21 Weekender, 2.0L Fuel Injection, Pastel Wei▀/Orange Plaid--STOCK

-\ CLUB TOUAREG ADMINISTRATOR -\
Please read our Club Touareg
and our

post #9 of 12 Old 09-13-2009 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
Karl, are you for sure making this happen the third weekend in October? If I can make this with out using any days off work I am in. Only issue I have at the moment is my full size spare is a tad smaller then my daily use tires and I am not sure if I can pick up the correct size one before I get there. I am not interested in the obscure trails you guys did where stuff was questionable in a steel suspended treg. If it is an air only trail ride then I may just stay home. I just don't want to incur anymore damage than what I have on it so far from Ouray.
Hi Yeti,

The date has been set up by Hap - weekend of October 17. He has already reserved the same house as last year.

The steel has been noted - Just about guaranteed we'll be doing Fins n Things and that is generally Steel-Friendly. We'll let you know about any specific lines/sections to watch out for as well as any work-arounds. (VegasMatt has the playbook). Moab Slickrock is essentially petrified sand dunes and has mostly rounded profiles. We wont take you on Porcupine with steel - as we tried last fall and the gang completed this spring.

A couple of us are planning to arrive Friday morning (planning, reality may be different) and if we do, we'll keep our high clearance exploration to that day.

Matt and I plan to be departing late Sunday afternoon to make it back to work Monday morning.

Thank-you for repeating the warning on experience.

Saturday and Sunday should be lots of fun. Looking forward to seeing you out there!

Chris -
Miss ya out there. Hope to see you in 2010.l

Landscapes -

Motorsports -

post #10 of 12 Old 10-12-2009 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Update on Moab..

There will be at least three Touaregs in Moab this coming weekend October 16-18. If you have experience offroading Touaregs and would like to join us, drop a note here or PM me for contact info. A couple of us will be arriving Friday before noon. Trails for the weekend may include Fins and Things and Elephant Hill - but nothing is in stone. Just a bunch of Touareg offroaders playing on the slickrock.

For those near SoCal, I'll be making a trip to the Anza-Borrego Desert east of Escondido for BorregoFest the following weekend, hosted by OAUSA.net.

Then Hump-n-Bump in Logandale NV a couple weekends later right after SEMA. Its run by my home club.

See you on the trails!

Landscapes -

Motorsports -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode