Jawbone to Isabella then on to Monache Meadows. June 14-15th - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 7 Old 05-22-2008 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Jawbone to Isabella then on to Monache Meadows. June 14-15th

The 14th and 15th of June is Fathers day and I was told I get to do whatever I want. So its a weekend camping trip with the family. Both these trails are easy. Just some good scenery and light offroading. I have done both these trails before in my 4Runner which is now gone but, if you want an idea of what to expect check out the links. Jawbone to Isabella and Monache Meadows. (Just the Monache Meadows section. Not everything in this link.)

Heres the plan. Meet up at Jawbone Station the morning of the 14th. Leave there by 0800. This trail took me 4 hours last time I did it, but about 30 of the 54 miles were snow covered. It should probably take us 3 or so hours. From there go into Lake Isabella. Gas up, hang out for a few, and then head out for Monache Meadows. It will probably take an hour and a half to get the the beginning of Monache Meadows. It will then be another hour or so to get all the way out into Monache Meadows. It is very remote and so worth it.

We should be out there with plenty of time left before sundown. Just gonna hang and relax. Sunday is all up to you. I am going to do some more relaxing, maybe a little exploring and then head out. A friend is coming out with his FJ and this is also posted over at a Toyota forum, so some Toyota folk might come out also. Its going to be a good time and I hope some of you can make it out.

For those that dont know, this is in SoCal. Here is the address for Jawbone Station, 28111 Jawbone Rd. Cantil, CA 93519.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-23-2008
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2009 V6
Send a message via Yahoo to Arkarch
Sounds like a really nice trip.

Mostly likely I'll be in Phoenix for Father's Day; narrow chance I may be at a friends cabin in Big Bear (more likely soon after)... but I'd love to get out your way for some trails sometime. Maybe in the fall,, been playing with a 395-oriented (Bishop/Mono/Reno) weekend idea.

2009 Alaska Gray VR6 w/ Air + Tech + Lux + Hitch + 265/70/17 Tires
2006 Colorado Red V6 retired
Collect all 50 state colors!
Landscapes -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorsports -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Moab: Hells, Fins, TowerArch, Klondike, Shafer, Kane, 7MileRim, Dome;
Ouray: Engineers, Imogene, Corkscrew, California, Hurricane, Cinnamon, Yankee, Governors, Buffalo;
Anza-Borrego: Arroyo Seco Del Diablo, Sin Nombre, Oriflamme, Carrizo, Rodriguez;
post #3 of 7 Old 05-23-2008

Maybe next time

Are you going to use those "new" wheels you bought from me last weekend?

Have fun, catch up to you on the next one...........

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-23-2008 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkarch View Post
Sounds like a really nice trip.

Mostly likely I'll be in Phoenix for Father's Day; narrow chance I may be at a friends cabin in Big Bear (more likely soon after)... but I'd love to get out your way for some trails sometime. Maybe in the fall,, been playing with a 395-oriented (Bishop/Mono/Reno) weekend idea.
I was wondering if you were gonna post up Karl. I figured you would. Too bad you have other things going on though. We will definitely get together sometime. There is always Jawbone/Red Rock area. Have to wait til fall though, its damn hot in the summer. We could do some trails like Nightmare Gulch, Last Chance Canyon, Opal Canyon etc., which would be on the more difficult side as far as the Touareg goes. Either way, we will figure something out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy View Post
Are you going to use those "new" wheels you bought from me last weekend?

Have fun, catch up to you on the next one...........

Keith
Damn straight. Got everything mounted and balanced yesterday. Just waiting for this trip to roll around, take off the 20's and thrown these on for their maiden voyage. Haha. Thanks again Keith.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-26-2008 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

I couldnt wait. Had to try out the new setup today. Went and did Jawbone to Isabella. It was good but not all that exciting and I dont think I want to do it again like originally planned. I was going to edit the first post, but for some stupid reason I dont have the option to.

Here is the new plan. Sherman Pass Jeep Trail and then on to Monache Meadows. In the Monache link I posted above there is a section from Sherman Pass. Sherman Pass Jeep Trail is a difficult rated trail. When I did it in my 4Runner it was cake and that was taking the difficult line. It will most likely be a challenge for a Touareg. Definitely doable though.

With the new plan comes a new meeting place. Here it is,

Sierra Mountain Chevron
6618 Wofford Blvd, Wofford Heights, CA

Lets leave the meet spot by 0900. So get there a little before, gas up, stretch, whatever. Just be ready to go by 0900.

So if some of you want a challenge and some good wheeling/camping, I hope you can make it out.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-29-2008 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Just a little over 2 weeks away. I know I'm stoked for this trip. Hope some of you decide to come out. Heres a video I found of the exact trip planned here. Its a group of J**ps, but whatever. We will be hitting Sherman Pass first and in the opposite direction as the video and then out to Monache. CHECK IT OUT
post #7 of 7 Old 06-06-2008 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

1 week away. Let go ladies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode