FEELER: Mt. Washington "Sunrise Drives" - August 28th - Mt. Washington, NH - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 49 Old 07-31-2011 Thread Starter
Too Cool to Leave School

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Cool FEELER: Mt. Washington "Sunrise Drives" - August 28th - Mt. Washington, NH

We were tossing around the idea of heading up to New Hampshire/North East for a weekend next month and Mount Washington caught my interest... Obviously they have the annual hill climb, and apparently the AutoRoad is quite the exciting climb/descent for any vehicle... The last Sunday in August is their last "Sunrise Drive" of the year, in which they open extra early (4am) to allow people to get to the summit in time to watch the sun come up over the Atlantic.

While this isn't specifically Touareg related, we thought it'd be fun to open it up to others to come up and join in; as of right now our plan is to head up from Maryland on Friday (guesstimating about a 10.5-11hr drive), spend Saturday touring the area; make the "climb" Sunday morning, and continue checking out the area Sunday and head home Monday.

As far as accomodations, the idea of camping was brought up, which would be especially fun if we could get a few other people to join in.

Any interest from others? Maybe even finding some trails in the area for Saturday or Sunday afternoon?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 08-04-2011
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Hey Anand,

Been meaning to chime in here. But it's been hectic getting back from the rally...

I'm planning to be in NH that weekend or the next. So let me see if I can make it the same time. If so, I'd be happy to organize a half-day tour of some 4WD/unmaintained roads in the area. Keep in mind though, the ones I know are an hour or two southeast of the White Mountains.

As for the sunrise drive, I'll probably take a raincheck on that one.

Thanks,
Chris

2010 VW Touareg V6TDI | AK Gray/Anthracite | Air Suspension | Lux Package | Factory Hitch | 17" Makalus (5) | CBI Fold Down Tire Carrier | Antec Underride Protection Plate & Extension | 265/65R17 General Grabber AT2s (5)
post #3 of 49 Old 08-05-2011 Thread Starter
Too Cool to Leave School

Chris, we'd definitely be up for that... We have a bunch of time so we are totally up for touring around seeing the sights (on, and off the road)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old 08-05-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V6
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
If I'm off work count me in.

------------------------------------------------
'09 Black on Black | Paddle Shifters | Aspherical Mirrors | ROW Transmission | Yellow Fogs | Dual Rear Fogs | PIAA 510's in the grill | DRL disable w/ Euro Switch | Interior LED's | Quad Brake Lights
post #5 of 49 Old 08-05-2011 Thread Starter
Too Cool to Leave School

Ben, I was just about to PM you to alert you to this thread... Some good summer time off-pavement travels would be good, especially since you have some fresh rubber!

post #6 of 49 Old 08-05-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V6
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
Can't wait to try out these new Nitto's. And I'm actually off that weekend. I'll talk to the wife and make sure we are free.

------------------------------------------------
'09 Black on Black | Paddle Shifters | Aspherical Mirrors | ROW Transmission | Yellow Fogs | Dual Rear Fogs | PIAA 510's in the grill | DRL disable w/ Euro Switch | Interior LED's | Quad Brake Lights
post #7 of 49 Old 08-05-2011 Thread Starter
Too Cool to Leave School

Chris, do you have any recommendations of lodging? Or campgrounds in the general area? Somewhere with an actual shower would be strongly preferred I know Ben has the luxury of his trailer he's always talking about

post #8 of 49 Old 08-05-2011
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Anand--My brother- & sister-in-laws like the Nordic Village Resort in Jackson, NH. That puts you in the thick of the White Mountain National Forest. But I don't have any other particulars on why they stay there.

Ben--Glad to see you can make it. Hopefully though, this won't be a reprise of our NE PA trip... at least not for me.

Cheers--Chris

2010 VW Touareg V6TDI | AK Gray/Anthracite | Air Suspension | Lux Package | Factory Hitch | 17" Makalus (5) | CBI Fold Down Tire Carrier | Antec Underride Protection Plate & Extension | 265/65R17 General Grabber AT2s (5)
post #9 of 49 Old 08-05-2011
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand View Post
.... apparently the AutoRoad is quite the exciting climb/descent for any vehicle...
The drive is relatively boring. It's a hell of a lot more worthwhile to hike it from either Pinkham Notch Visitor Center south of the auto road entrance or from the west side where the cog railway starts. I think taking the cog train up would actually be a lot more fun than driving up.

I've hiked to the summit 3 times in the summer, from three different approaches, and twice in January/March via longer routes, any of which are a much better way to spend the day!

There is a good campground on the west side highway south of the western approach road and there are other campgrounds in other directions easy to locate.

There are also a plethora of B&B's which are a nice way to finish off a foot powered ascent Think about it, drive and then camp out vs hike up earning a plush B&B afterward with a hot tub...

Current:
2008 Audi S4 Avant mt6
2008 BMW 535xi Touring 6 spd
2007 Land Rover Discovery 3 modified
2004 Land Rover Discovery 2
1996 Land Rover Discovery 1 / 230,000 miles
post #10 of 49 Old 08-05-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V6
Second Vehicle: is jealous
I second the Pinkham Notch up through Tuckerman's Ravine to the summit hike. Have done it warm weather and in snow and is awesome at either time. Leave the Tregs behind. Just think how comfortable those seats will feel after hiking up and back down the mountain. jwestpro is dead on, it is much more scenic walking than driving!

Dave

2008 V6 FSI, Cranberry w/Beige Int, Tow Pkg, 265/65/17 Goodyear
Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure, Yakima Low Riders Cross Bars, Weather Tech Floor and Cargo Liners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode