2005 Colorado Touareg 4x4 Rally-Event info, pics and video! - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 24 Old 10-30-2004 Thread Starter
Still Plays With Cars

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2006 V10 TDI
Garage
2005 Colorado Touareg 4x4 Rally-Event info, pics and video!

After some debate about changing the location of this years event to Moab or places farther north, I have decided that the 2005 Colorado Touareg Rally will be held again in the Lake City / Ouray / Telluride areas. While I enjoyed entertaining ideas of moving the event, the short time frame for logistical planning and the need to get a date set for vacation planning has necessitated keeping it in Southern Colorado for this year. The good news is that there are still MANY trails that we haven't been on, many trails that are so classic that they BEG to be driven again, and there is always the stunning scenery!

I propose that we use the following schedule for this years rally. I want to add a one day break into the middle of the trip to allow us to further experience attractions in the area with our families. Of course, that means that we will have to push up any pre rally Meet and Greet up a day to Sunday. This should allow us to meet up at a reasonable time on Monday morning, or allow others to arrive later as needed.

Main event: Monday July 25th - Friday July 29

Sunday, July 24- (Pre-Event) Arrive in Lake City, Meet and Greet at Andy's (I8ABUG) cabin (tentative)
Monday, July 25- On the trail near Lake City area, overnight in Lake City area
Tuesday, July 26- On the trail, arrive in Ouray, overnight in Ouray
Wednesday, July 27 - (Break) Go explore Durango or Telluride areas for the day, overnight in Ouray?
Thursday, July 28 - Yankee Boy Basin / IMOGENE PASS!
Friday, July 29- On the Trail / Return to Lake City
Saturday, July 30- (Post Event) Sand Dunes Nat'l Monument four wheeling and camping

Several people mentioned that it would be fun to do Sand Dunes, but we were not able to fit it into the trip. I'd life to go play there this year, but we will have to make it separate from the rest of the event. Also, Christina and I will likely have our Puck trailer with us, so we won't be able to do a full climb over to Walsenburg area and back to the East.

If anyone has suggestions on trails they want to run (not Poughkeepsie Gulch (Eric)), please speak up. We have plenty of time to plan these side trips.

Looking forward to a fun 2005 rally!

// 06 V10 TDI, Reflex Silver/Teak--Loaded

// 06 V8, Campy White/Teak--Air--DVD NAV--Backup Cam--Kessy--Winter--Xenon--RDL--Factory Hitch--Dakar Offroad Front Skid Plate
// 08 27' Airstream International CCD :: Airforums.com Member - "Westfalia"
// 77 VW Transporter Westfalia P21 Weekender, 2.0L Fuel Injection, Pastel Weiß/Orange Plaid--STOCK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-\ CLUB TOUAREG ADMINISTRATOR -\
Please read our Club Touareg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and our

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-12-2004
ike

Please let me know about join up with your group. I travel from Ft. Collins to Pinedale WY for work and on 191 about 40 miles north of Rock Springs is Big Sandy Park which I hear has some great 4 wheeling maybe worth checking out.
post #3 of 24 Old 12-13-2004 Thread Starter
Still Plays With Cars

Garage
Thanks for the information. I'll look into it. Watch this thread for more information as we approach the summer.

// 06 V8, Campy White/Teak--Air--DVD NAV--Backup Cam--Kessy--Winter--Xenon--RDL--Factory Hitch--Dakar Offroad Front Skid Plate
// 77 VW Transporter Westfalia P21 Weekender, 2.0L Fuel Injection, Pastel Weiß/Orange Plaid--STOCK

and our

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 01-17-2005
Touareg Enthusiast

wanted to go last year, but work prevailed. I would love to come up from Temecula, CA and play for a few days. Definitely off road and fun roads. Look forward to the trip and fun. Give me about a months notice and I should be able to get away from work!

Me: 2006 Light Silver Metallic Audi A3
Wife: 2003 Off-road gray TDI Beetle
post #5 of 24 Old 02-22-2005 Thread Starter
Still Plays With Cars

Garage
After some debate about changing the location of this years event to Moab or places farther north, I have decided that the 2005 Colorado Touareg Rally will be held again in the Lake City / Ouray / Telluride areas. While I enjoyed entertaining ideas of moving the event, the short time frame for logistical planning and the need to get a date set for vacation planning has necessitated keeping it in Southern Colorado for this year. The good news is that there are still MANY trails that we haven't been on, many trails that are so classic that they BEG to be driven again, and there is always the stunning scenery!

I propose that we use the following schedule for this years rally. I want to add a one day break into the middle of the trip to allow us to further experience attractions in the area with our families. Of course, that means that we will have to push up any pre rally Meet and Greet up a day to Sunday. This should allow us to meet up at a reasonable time on Monday morning, or allow others to arrive later as needed.

Main event: Monday July 25th - Friday July 29

Sunday, July 24- (Pre-Event) Arrive in Lake City, Meet and Greet at Andy's (I8ABUG) cabin (tentative)
Monday, July 25- On the trail near Lake City area, overnight in Lake City area
Tuesday, July 26- On the trail, arrive in Ouray, overnight in Ouray
Wednesday, July 27 - (Break) Go explore Durango or Telluride areas for the day, overnight in Ouray?
Thursday, July 28 - Yankee Boy Basin / IMOGENE PASS!
Friday, July 29- On the Trail / Return to Lake City
Saturday, July 30- (Post Event) Sand Dunes Nat'l Monument four wheeling and camping

Several people mentioned that it would be fun to do Sand Dunes, but we were not able to fit it into the trip. I'd life to go play there this year, but we will have to make it separate from the rest of the event. Also, Christina and I will likely have our Puck trailer with us, so we won't be able to do a full climb over to Walsenburg area and back to the East.

If anyone has suggestions on trails they want to run (not Poughkeepsie Gulch (Eric)), please speak up. We have plenty of time to plan these side trips.
Please submit your comments for the proposed dates by March 1, after which time I will lock in our dates.

Looking forward to a fun 2005 rally!

You can find pictures of the 2004 Event here.

and our

post #6 of 24 Old 02-23-2005
Touareg Enthusiast

Sounds great to me! I will check with the wife to make sure she has no plans for that week. Might have to go it alone. Do we need to bring camping gear or will we return to hotel/motel each day. Not sure what to bring if/when I/we come. Looks like a little of both from some of the pics. GOT MUD?

post #7 of 24 Old 02-23-2005 Thread Starter
Still Plays With Cars

Garage
It is certainly possible to camp. I would like to camp when I have my trailer (Lake City portion), but I'm not going to bring my tent and gear this year. We camped exactly one night at the end and got SOAKED. It did rain (pour) almost every evening that we were there. I was happy to have every other night warm and dry in a hotel.

the other problem with camping is that there is a lot of private land near the towns. You will have to get up pretty high to get up into the Nat'l forests or BLM land to camp. Not a problem if that is where we are going to go the next day.

and our

post #8 of 24 Old 02-23-2005
Touareg Enthusiast

Great! We'll just pack light for the warm room and company!

post #9 of 24 Old 02-27-2005 Thread Starter
Still Plays With Cars

Garage
BUMP!

So far, we have about 12 confirmed participants (subject to change of course ) for the dates I have outlined above. There are also several other that have contacted me expressing interest.

I'd love to see a BIG turn out! There is no reason why we can't have a large group, but we will have to split into groups of about 7-10 on many of the trails.

I will have some hotel suggestions (including dog friendly ones) fairly soon, as well as some more suggestions for trails that we have not traveled yet.

The only problem is, planning all of this has me wanted to get out on the trail NOW!

and our

post #10 of 24 Old 02-27-2005
Touareg Enthusiast

Sounds great!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode