Video on RNS 850 - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 22 Old 09-28-2011 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Video on RNS 850

I saw in another thread that the RNS 850 should play m4v video files, however I haven't been successful. It will play DVDs just fine, and plays mp3s and m4a's. My m4v are DVD rips converted to m4v using Handbrake with the AppleTV 2 profile, which uses the h.264 codec. Owner's manual (pg 212) says this should work. My bitrates are below 2000 as well.

any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-01-2011

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
I've been pulling my hair out trying to use Handbrake to make m4v's that will work. It is very frustrating and I've tried so many settings I have lost track. If I remember correctly, I was able to get it to work when I used the "Universal" setting under the apple drop down. I changed the average bitrate to 1000 and then my videos worked. It did however change the aspect ratio of my movies just slightly, a bit stretched horizontally but not too bad. Give that a try and see if it works.

Robert.
post #3 of 22 Old 11-26-2011

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Try to convert the video's to MP4. I had a MP4 file, put it on a SD Card and also saved it on the HDrive in the Treg. Both work fine. Great when I have to wait an hour for the kids to finish their after school programs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-27-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Took all the great advice this thread had to offer and low and behold it all worked, most of it anyway.

Instead of being letterboxed or in a 4:3 aspect ratio video is squared off. This is just from one video, but I'll experiment with setting in HB and see if I can get it to work in its original ratio.
post #5 of 22 Old 12-29-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: Other
Brewdude, any luck with the settings on Handbrake to get the aspect ratio right?

I have tried toggling anamorphic on and off, different screen ratios etc, without success. I just get black strips either side of the video when playing around with the width and heights...

Cheers

- LC200 Sahara -
Unfortunately sold my Touareg MY12 : 4xMotion, Air suspension, sun roof, driver assist, sport interior, Bi-xenon.
post #6 of 22 Old 12-29-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: too many to list
Haven't had time with the holidays and work schedule to do any tweaking. I'm thinking resolution must be set manually to whatever the screen size it. Saw it on here somewheres...
post #7 of 22 Old 04-09-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2009 V6 TDI
Any luck getting an m4v to play?

It's listed as compatible in the manual.
post #8 of 22 Old 10-10-2012

Touareg: 2012 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
bump?
post #9 of 22 Old 10-11-2012

Touareg: 2012 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Played with settings of all differents kinds and realized that you need to keep the framerate at < 29.97 fps. Using handbrake profiles doesn't necessarily change the framerate. So make sure however you are converting the files that the framerate is <29.97 fps.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-28-2012
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: 2004 V8
Send a message via AIM to rinaic Send a message via Skype™ to rinaic
Bump.

I'm also working through this encoding issue.

None my videos played initially. I then got one to play with the Universal settings, but the next two encoded with the same settings didn't work.

I looked and the video that is working is a 29fps with 3400 bit-rate. I think most of the others I tried last night were <2000 bit-rate (spec in the manual) but with a variable fps.

Changing FPS worries me a little from previous handbrake experience. An issue I've had with changing the framerate fps with Handbrake in the past is a disconnect between the audio and video sync. Another can be some strange effects in action sequences.

I've got the encoder running a variety of different settings today and will see what my results are.

Aspect ratio is a lower priority although if I can get some settings that are consistent, I may look at that as well.

'18 Q7 Prestige Night Black/Nougat | '18 Tiguan SEL Silk Blue/Black
Semi-retired in FL since 2008:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the family: '14 Touareg TDI Lux Black/Black(brother)

Traded
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode