The RNS850 sound profile coding = Oh my god! - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 06-21-2018 Thread Starter

The RNS850 sound profile coding = Oh my god!

I know it's been mentioned many times in this forum. But : I just cannot believe my ears... I hated the sound in my touareg so much and this simple coding has exceeded my expectations.

It really is possible that VW did it on purpose (another cheating?) in order to sell more dynaudio systems because it really takes a subpar sound from the original profile and makes it way above average. In fact, the standard sound of Touareg is so bad that I doubt you can really make it great just by investing in amps and speakers/sub. If you want to improve the sound this coding is the first thing to do, then amp and speakers/sub.

Just a quick reminder for the tip:

Using VCDS :

Module 56 (Radio)
Long Coding (7 in VCDS)
Change Byte 4 (which is actually the 5th Byte because the first byte is byte 0). Change that byte from 01 to 00.

I changed from : 02 00 07 02 01 00 00 00 01
To : 02 00 07 02 00 00 00 00 01

It seriously took less than 5 minutes for the garage right beside where I work to do it (they did not use a VCDS, they had some kind of wireless module with a tablet - very nice setup, cannot remember the name).

When it's done, you only get the improved sound after some time (you need to open / close / lock / unlock / open the door I think). But when you get it : you do notice it right away. And then you have to lower the bass in the Setup menu (I put mine around 35-40% - 50 being the middle). No more shallow bass and strange muffling of the sound in general. Also much more volume now

Do it, even if you're not an audiophile, you will not regret!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-21-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Just be careful, the volume control is more aggressive and you can probably hit speakers with damaging power levels with this mod. But then by that stage you would not be able to sit in the car in any case I suppose so kind of self limiting. Yes a great mod. Other side effect, the stock Treg when you first get in and start after listening to the audio the past day will start the volume at what was then an acceptable level - it is now a quite high volume level.

Previous: MY13 V6 TDI 4Motion,
BMW X3 3.0d, Subaru outback and the odd Alpha.
Now looking at options.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-08-2018

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Does anyone know if there's a way to improve Dynaudio sound? It's not particularly great either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-11-2018
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
gta_driver: which year do you have and which RNS850 firmware are you running? I think my RNS850 sounded better before the firmware update (can't be 100% sure though).

Have you messed with all the audio settings?

I'm asking the same question by the way. I def need a little better bass, or perhaps a DSP to allow me to customize the sound profile to my liking.

I started another thread asking about DSP to Dynaudio.

Somewhere I read the pre DSP outputs can be captured off the optical bus and fed to an aftermarket DSP to allow complete customization of the raw sound. Not sure what would be required or whether this is only for the first gen Touareg... but I am curious.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-22-2018

Touareg: 2012 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Other
I tried this out today and didn't really like it. It caused lower frequencies to really be blown out of proportion.With the bass adjusted to the middle, some songs would be crazy bass heavy while others didn't have enough. Before the modification, bass levels seemed to be equalized between tracks.

-Steve
2012 VW Touareg VR6 Lux
2004 Audi A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP

NKAWTG
post #6 of 11 Old 08-22-2018
Supporting Member

agentsmith988:

Which did you try?

I've noticed that much of the music I listen to has sort of crappy bass. I thought it was the Dynaudio (I'm still hoping to add a sub for the few songs that require real bass to sound right)...

Which Dynaudio confidence setting are you using? Depending on the setting the bass will be high or low. I wish there was a quicker way to switch bass during a song as some songs want a custom profile, others need the first profile (forget what it's called since my RNS850 is not working right now), then there is the setting on the right that is high in bass...
post #7 of 11 Old 08-23-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTDI View Post
agentsmith988:

Which did you try?

I've noticed that much of the music I listen to has sort of crappy bass. I thought it was the Dynaudio (I'm still hoping to add a sub for the few songs that require real bass to sound right)...

Which Dynaudio confidence setting are you using? Depending on the setting the bass will be high or low. I wish there was a quicker way to switch bass during a song as some songs want a custom profile, others need the first profile (forget what it's called since my RNS850 is not working right now), then there is the setting on the right that is high in bass...

I activated the Dynaudio on my '11 Tregs RNS850.
I think by activating the Dynaudio in a standard audio system you don't get the "confidence settings" option. It just changes the audio output profile with no extra adjustments available.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-24-2018
Supporting Member

Check the Setup Screen and Goto the Sound Menu. There should be a menu item that says Dynaconfidence (or something like that). Press that button and then it should show you 4 presets and one that says custom (it's up near the back button on the right corner). This is the manual mode for treble and bass settings.

Also on another note. I tried some audio test tracks to see how low the bass goes. With Dynaudio the output is pretty impressive. Perhaps not perfect for an audiofile but mostly good enough for me (or at least good enough to get a line out for a sub off the front speaker output). I'm fairly confident the system goes as low as 30 Hz, perhaps even down to 10 Hz (my ear isn't calibrated that well). If I can find the output wires for the door speakers I will tap into the lines and see what the frequency content is from a test track.... the bigger issue for me is the complete lack of and EQ with enough Bass gain adjustment....
post #9 of 11 Old 08-24-2018

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
RNS850 Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith988 View Post
I tried this out today and didn't really like it. It caused lower frequencies to really be blown out of proportion.With the bass adjusted to the middle, some songs would be crazy bass heavy while others didn't have enough. Before the modification, bass levels seemed to be equalized between tracks.

I agree with this. I tried the mod, and found it made the sound way to harsh. I was always adjusting the bass. It sounded great when listening to Def Leppard though!

Eventually I went back to the original, boring sound mode.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-24-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTDI View Post
Check the Setup Screen and Goto the Sound Menu. There should be a menu item that says Dynaconfidence (or something like that). Press that button and then it should show you 4 presets and one that says custom (it's up near the back button on the right corner). This is the manual mode for treble and bass settings.

OK I double checked this tonight in case I missed it the first time and there definitely is no Dynaconfidence option. Just the standard bass/treble balance/fader and voice assist volume options.
I remember somewhere in another thread about this and someone had said it only changes the sound profile and does not give any additional user features.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode