Speaker Replacement - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 8 Old 08-24-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Speaker Replacement

Hello everyone... have been in this forum on and off but today just decided to become a member.

I have a 2005 VW Touareg V6 and the audio has been stock until a few months back when I replaced the stereo. What I noticed that the sound level went down. But not bothersome. Now front driver speaker and the back passenger are starting to sound really bad after I go past a certain volume.

I have tried looking online to look at replacements. When the door panel was removed I noticed it has a speaker cover... guessing to enhance sound. When speakers are replaced, looks as most likely the cover will not be used again. Will this lessen the sound in some way or can the cover be used again somehow? Is there a speaker that is made for this set up? Thanks.

By the way this is my first VW. Enjoying it except for the fact that it's always thirsty!! LOL.

Any help much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-26-2018
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Some systems have a factory amp located in the rear o the vehicle (underneath rear quarter panel trim). If you didn't bypass this amp or take it into account when installing the new radio, that may be part of the problem and replacing speakers may not solve it.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-27-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply FSJ Guy. Will locate the amp. By the way... once installed how does one bypass it or take it into account? Also, the speakers I mentioned are going bad as they are rattling. This was happening when it had the factory radio as well.. which is why I want to replace those speakers.. well if I replace those two speakers then I will have to do the same for the other two. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-27-2018
Touareg Addict

I'm not sure how the amp is integrated into the radio. It's usually much different than 20 yrs ago when we had standardized line in/out wiring, etc.

A lot of stereo shops will often bypass a factory amp for this reason. But I'm not sure it's always the best way to go.
:- /

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-27-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have speaker suggestions then or best way is to get the right size any aftermarket speaker of my choosing and drill it in? Thanks again.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-27-2018
Touareg Addict

Sorry, no. I still have the stock stereo system.

I don't know what Crutchfield has available, but that is usually where I look first if I need to replace car audio.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
post #7 of 8 Old 09-05-2018

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Garage
Shooting from the hip...

from what I can recall from all of the research I've put in, the front doors have three speakers - tweet, mid, woofer. (different impedance ratings)..plus what is in the back doors and the center channel in the dash...but it varies from year to year and trim to trim

(in my T1) the amp in the rear quarter has 21 or so wires coming out of the amp...fewer going into (power, ground, signal).

In any case, due to the staging and the quantity of the speakers, the amplifier could also be doing sound processing, cross-over, and time delay functions, but I am not entirely sure; I haven't had enough time to read all about the OE amplifier. My T1 V8 has 6 front door speakers, 1 center channel, and 4 rear door speakers -- 11 total. I need to trace my wires, and again, read up on all of the possible configurations of all possible layouts a T1 can have.

I have not had time to read what the input voltage is on the OE amp. Chances are high it is different than the industry standard - 2V-4V out of RCAs (low level signal) of most aftermarket HU. If you use the high level signal of the speaker wire, it may not be the right voltage as it has been amplified by the new HU and the amp in the back isn't seeing the optimum signal. Car audio is fun...

In my past Nissan PF that had a factory Bose system, when I replace the factory (Bose) HU with a JVC unit that used a factory harness, I lost most of the low end bass and some overall volume. (I played with the gain controls following the directions supplied by Crutchfield and Schoche) The Bose amp(s) did not like the new signals coming from the new JVC HU speaker wire-out high level signal and the Bose amps were not processing the signal correctly. OE Bose gear does not play well with non-Bose gear.

When I put the stock Bose HU back in, the bass returned and the overall volume increased.

If you decide to bypass the stock amp in the back, you will need to run new speaker wire to each speaker or clusters of speakers. you might have to find or make cross-overs (3-way and 2-way) so the right frequencies are sent to the right speaker. There is so much going on with a multiple speaker set up that in order to do the right thing, you have to develop a plan to achieve the goal you are looking for.

The sky is the limit...

#savethemanuals
post #8 of 8 Old 09-06-2018

Touareg: Still looking
In my 05 I've got jl 6.5's in the back doors and 8" Rockford fosgate speakers in front along with a set of jl tweeters in the stock location in the front doors.
Those 6 speakers are running off of a jl amp and I have a skar 12 with a skar 1500 watt amp running that.
I plan on relocating the tweeters I put in the doors. Maybe a kick panel mount.
What did you replace your stock head unit with?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode