RNS850 - Is MOST connection the same as Audi 3G MMI? - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 21 Old 03-14-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2005 V8
RNS850 - Is MOST connection the same as Audi 3G MMI?

Hey all,

So, I bought an Android aftermarket head unit for my Touareg, naively not knowing that it is not compatible with the Fiber Optic or MOST system in my TDI Lux. Well, since it's not compatible, that means most, if not all, aftermarket head units are pretty much not compatible as well. At least none that I'm aware of. However, I came across a product from AVIN called the "Audi MOST Fiber Optic Amp Interface"

It says it's only compatible with the 2G or 3G MMI, but whenever I read about the MOST for the RNS850 it appears to mention the 3G MMI as well.

I may just take a risk and go for it, unless someone out there is positive it won't work. This seems to be the only "chance" to be able to upgrade the head unit portion of the RNS850.

Don't get me wrong the unit is fine, but I came from a car that had Android Auto/Apple Car Play and I really want that feature back, so I'm pretty dedicated to finding a solution.

The head unit I purchased was the newest Joying Touareg head unit, if anyone is interested in that.

I'm unable to post links yet so please google search the Interface and let me know.

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-14-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
The rns850 is 99% identical to Audi’s mmi3g.

'81 Rabbit S 16vG60 | '01 A6 2.7TT 6MT | '15 Touareg TDI Exec R-line

- OEM air suspension retrofit
- OEM parking heater retrofit
- OEM Easy-Open hatch retrofit
- OEM ambient lighting retrofit
post #3 of 21 Old 03-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewblekka View Post
The rns850 is 99% identical to Audi’s mmi3g.
Alright, that’s what I needed to know, thanks! I’ll take the chance and order this unit up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-15-2019
Learner

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
Let us know how you go. Getting android and apply play would be nice

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Let us know how you go. Getting android and apply play would be nice

I plan on it! I don't have the technical know-how to install an aftermarket head unit myself so I'm at the mercy of the appointment I can get scheduled. I'll report back either way, but hopefully with good news!
post #6 of 21 Old 03-15-2019
Learner

Check to ensure what all the interface supports and what it doesn’t.
In some cases apparently you lose functionality like fader, balance, etc
Good luck

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-15-2019 Thread Starter

Okay,

Here's the part that I ordered: https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...l-a8l-mmi.html I ordered the version 2 3G MMI.

The head unit I already have is: https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-an...ort-zlink.html

I also purchased an aftermarket Reverse camera to work with the new head unit here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fingers crossed this all works. Bear with me on time and I'll update as I have more information.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Check to ensure what all the interface supports and what it doesn’t.
In some cases apparently you lose functionality like fader, balance, etc
Good luck
The description on the AVIN website says that you’ll lose the ability to adjust balance from front to back due to it being a stereo analog. But can still do balance left to right. All speakers will still get audio according to the description.

This is not a bad trade off to me, but may be a deal breaker for some.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-15-2019
Learner

So you lose steering wheel and fader functionality as well.
You migh want to check on these two issues and confirm.
There are other interfaces that work better.
Personally I wouldn’t want to lose any functionality.
If the unit is designed and programmed well it should all work

post #10 of 21 Old 03-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
So you lose steering wheel and fader functionality as well.
You migh want to check on these two issues and confirm.
There are other interfaces that work better.
Personally I wouldn’t want to lose any functionality.
If the unit is designed and programmed well it should all work

No, the Canbus included with the aftermarket head unit keeps all of the steering wheel functionality:

You only lose fader functionality with the analog to fiber conversion of the AVIN adapter. I don't know another option available without replacing the amp and rewiring the vehicle, no small feat. All speakers will get equal sound output from the amp as it normally would, the quote from AVIN's website about the matter:

"The AVIN MOST-AD Fiber Optic Amp Interface allows the Audi factory amplifier, the output from all speakers including subwoofer, and premium sound quality to be retained when installing ANY aftermarket radio. This makes for a nice clean easy install. "

Frequently asked questions:
Q. Can I return this for a refund if I do not like it?
A: NO. We warranty the product for one year. If there are any problems with it, we will replace it with a new one for you.
Q. Why are there only TWO RCA inputs?
A: It only supports Stereo input from your front Left and front Right RCA audio output.
Q. If it is only using TWO RCA audio cable how will get sound from all of my speakers?
A: The MOST interface will convert the TWO RCA audio signal into a fiber optic signal your factory amplifier can understand. Your Harmon Kardon amplifier will distribute sound to all of your speakers including your subwoofer.
Q. Can I control fade and balance after this is installed?
A: You can control only LEFT RIGHT balance since it is only using those two RCA audio cables. No fading from front to back.
Q. Does this support steering wheel button controls?
A: This does not add or remove steering wheel button control. It only has one function and that is to convert RCA audio into a fiber optic signal the factory amplifier can understand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in