RNS510 Blank Buttons - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 7 Old 01-18-2017 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V6
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
RNS510 Blank Buttons

Previously today I was able to utilize my RNS510 D for approximately 90 minutes without issue. Upon shutting off the Egg, letting her sit for another 90 minutes and then restarting the engine, I was met with blank buttons on the screen of the RNS.

I cycled power from the radio's face, then cycled the Egg's power, and then performed a hard reboot to the radio. All to no avail. After the quiet return journey I physically removed the RNS from the vehicle in order to let it sit unattached for 60 minutes. Upon inspection of the removed RNS I noticed this smokey discoloration on the posterior of the unit. This rubber protrusion connects to a bolt coming from the RNS to use as a support. I was able to unscrew the rubber from the bolt and the metal was clean underneath, along with the smoky discoloration on the exterior, leading me to believe that the smoke had not come from the inside of the RNS. (That's something I'll have to look in to during the daylight.

All menu buttons in all screens of the unit are blank, however I was able to access the "secret menu" and it did display some information of which I will include below. I'm pretty ignorant of the goings on in these menus, but the only disparity that was obvious was "tempStatus Degraded". Some brief googling told me that was nothing really to worry about, however taking in to account the magic smoke attached to the rear of the case, I don't really know what to think about it. Also, as I was rebooting the RNS while it was in a semi-recessed state in the dash, the hard drive sounded... different... than i was used to, that may have just been because it wasn't fully seated. I'll have to look more in to that in the morning. My first thought was potentially a bad HD, but I don't know enough about these systems to know where the firmware is stored.

My first thought is corrupted firmware, but I don't know how or why it would have been corrupted after running well for the past eight years.

My second thought was a bad hard drive. In the contents of the "secret menu" it showed 13136113664 under Remaining Size. If the units for that are bytes, then that would be correct. I didn't know if a corrupted hard drive would show a correct amount of free space.

Thank you for you time and looking.

------------------------------------------------
'09 Black on Black | Paddle Shifters | Aspherical Mirrors | ROW Transmission | Yellow Fogs | Dual Rear Fogs | PIAA 510's in the grill | DRL disable w/ Euro Switch | Interior LED's | Quad Brake Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-19-2017

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Steve_L Send a message via Skype™ to Steve_L
Ben...we can't see the pictures. Link fail

2007 Touareg MY08 V6 TDI - Atacama Grey (Beige Trim) Tow Pack, RNS510, 9W7, Tint, V10 Exhaust Tips, Bilstein Sports Shocks, King Springs

2008 Golf MKV R32 (Deep Blue) 5dr, DSG, RNS, Sunroof, Carbon Fibre Rear Diffuser, Drilled/Slotted Rotor, Neuspeed F/R Swaybars, Unibrace, W.A.L.K., Tyrol-sport Chassis bolts, 9W2, Polar FIS+

2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (waaaay too many mods to list here) - The Mile Muncher
post #3 of 7 Old 01-19-2017 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V6
Garage
Here are the images. Apparently CT didn't like my imgur urls. All the images keep wanting to rotate... Just turn your head.

Today the radio still displayed the same blank buttons. The MFD will display "HDD" and "Media" when I press on the screen where the respective buttons are supposed to be. I get no audio out from AM, FM and from the SAT subscription I have. When I get to where SAT should be, the radio displays the phone number to call as though no subscription exists.

I also attempted to play music from an iPhone through the hard wired plug and the 3.5mm jack. All to no avail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50647341513__DDCB7D2B-1845-4628-A762-B5AA15519FC2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	623.5 KB
ID:	168514   Click image for larger version

Name:	50648013268__51AD3D32-9262-41C6-9FC1-634849845955.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	531.3 KB
ID:	168522  

Name:	IMG_4425.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	539.5 KB
ID:	168530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4426.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	531.9 KB
ID:	168538  

Name:	IMG_4427.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	477.8 KB
ID:	168546   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4428.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	510.6 KB
ID:	168554  

Name:	IMG_4429.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	505.4 KB
ID:	168562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4430.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	503.3 KB
ID:	168570  

Name:	IMG_4431.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	526.2 KB
ID:	168578  

------------------------------------------------
'09 Black on Black | Paddle Shifters | Aspherical Mirrors | ROW Transmission | Yellow Fogs | Dual Rear Fogs | PIAA 510's in the grill | DRL disable w/ Euro Switch | Interior LED's | Quad Brake Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-19-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
That burnt area looks very suspicious.

If you can, try to do a VCDS scan. It may provide more information.

If I were you, I'd try flashing the firmware again. You'll probably lose all your map data and HDD music, but those are pretty much unavailable right now anyway.

"Callie" - 2013 Touareg TDI Execline, Cool Silver on Titan black
"Sophie" - 2010 Touareg TDI Highline, Campanella white on Anthracite - sold back to VW
"Celeste" - 2009 Eos 2.0T DSG Lux, Candy white on Anthracite
"Simone" - 2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, HID projectors
"Rocinante" - 1990 JDM HDJ81 Toyota Landcruiser turbodiesel, 5 speed, RHD
post #5 of 7 Old 01-19-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2009 V6 TDI
Any smokey or burnt areas inside the dash? Any recent work done to the car, like battery replacement or recharging.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-14-2019

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbenguy View Post
Here are the images. Apparently CT didn't like my imgur urls. All the images keep wanting to rotate... Just turn your head.

Today the radio still displayed the same blank buttons. The MFD will display "HDD" and "Media" when I press on the screen where the respective buttons are supposed to be. I get no audio out from AM, FM and from the SAT subscription I have. When I get to where SAT should be, the radio displays the phone number to call as though no subscription exists.

I also attempted to play music from an iPhone through the hard wired plug and the 3.5mm jack. All to no avail.
Hi.

I have been searching and this is the only thread that is similar to what am experiencing.

I have an RNS510 which was working BRILLIANTLY until I let the car sit for like two weeks and when I got back to driving it, the car worked well but the RNS510 had blank buttons and no sound till now.
How (if ever) can this issue be resolved?
post #7 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
Does anyone have a copy of the RNS510 firmware 4366????? Mine is the same way with black buttons. My version is E and the highest firmware version I can use is SW 4366.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode