Navigation/ Stereo upgrades - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 15 Old 01-04-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: VW Bus
Garage
Navigation/ Stereo upgrades

OK. So I just bought (01/2019) a 2008 Touareg with DVD based navigation system with the Dynoaudio upgraded audio system w/ 6 Disc changer. No bluetooth, or any other option than the phone jack Aux input in the center console. So I've done a few hours of research lookin for an updated nav system with bluetooth capabilities. That's now the problem. The issue I have is... why can't I find a unit that utilizies the existing GPS antenna, back-up camera and aux input?? I hate thinking that I have to 'hard wire' a new unit and also have to run wiring for a new GPS antenna and back-up camera when it already is wired for them. Most of thes units, either domestic or foreign, avoid answering questions about the connectivity of the unit to the specific vehicle. Now there's some Chinese brands like Seicane and Smartauto24 that have some interesting units that might work, but most of the reviews on YouTube are from the companies that build them, so thats not useful!! I'm concerned about the steering wheel controls, No loss of existing speaker setup (11) and compatability with the center instrument display which shows nav info or audio info. So the basic question is....how to upgrade your unit without cutting wires and using the existing hardware!! Who's got an answer??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-04-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
You can use the existing gps antenna with a sma-fakra adapter. Back up cancel won’t work as it uses a vga signal I believe, not the rca signal of aftermarket decks.

'81 Rabbit S 16vG60 | '01 A6 2.7TT 6MT | '15 Touareg TDI Exec R-line

- OEM air suspension retrofit
- OEM parking heater retrofit
- OEM Easy-Open hatch retrofit
- OEM ambient lighting retrofit
post #3 of 15 Old 01-18-2019

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by superflydisco View Post
OK. So I just bought (01/2019) a 2008 Touareg with DVD based navigation system with the Dynoaudio upgraded audio system w/ 6 Disc changer. No bluetooth, or any other option than the phone jack Aux input in the center console. So I've done a few hours of research lookin for an updated nav system with bluetooth capabilities. That's now the problem. The issue I have is... why can't I find a unit that utilizies the existing GPS antenna, back-up camera and aux input?? I hate thinking that I have to 'hard wire' a new unit and also have to run wiring for a new GPS antenna and back-up camera when it already is wired for them. Most of thes units, either domestic or foreign, avoid answering questions about the connectivity of the unit to the specific vehicle. Now there's some Chinese brands like Seicane and Smartauto24 that have some interesting units that might work, but most of the reviews on YouTube are from the companies that build them, so thats not useful!! I'm concerned about the steering wheel controls, No loss of existing speaker setup (11) and compatability with the center instrument display which shows nav info or audio info. So the basic question is....how to upgrade your unit without cutting wires and using the existing hardware!! Who's got an answer??
I'm in the same boat, man. Looks like there is some go-arounds and adapters (steering wheel controls / backup cam) that we can get to maintain some stock functionality, but it hasn't be well documented. I'd really like a android/apple carplay unit installed but looks like some stuff like steering wheel controls need to be spliced-in. Google maps mirrored on the headunit (via carplay) would negate the need to utilize the NAV equipment in the vehicle....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-25-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: VW Bus
Garage
Installing a newer VW NAV unit

Hello Touareganauts! Still looking for options for an easy upgrade for my 2008 Dynaudio Nav system. Has anyone looked into installing a nav unit from a slightly newer VW. I assume the plugs on the back of different models that have been installed in newer GTIs,Jettas, Passat, etc. are slightly different so no chance of a plug-in-play situation. Just wondering if anyone has checked to see if a unit from a 2012-2015 VW would work.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-04-2019

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: Old heap
Garage
As I understand it, because I am looking to replace my headunit, is the VW RNS-510 touch screen Navi Unit fits.
For you and your 2008, with the new CAN-Bus 2.0 system, the RNS-510 is a direct replacement. No wiring connector adapters needed, but antenna adapters might be.
BUT ... you will need VAG-Com or a similar tool to reprogram / change the adaptation / recode the Touareg to understand that a new factory radio has been installed and please give me all the functions.
If you buy a used unit ... the RNS-510 can be upgrade to the latest Firmware . Just be sure to the Firmware that matches your location. North America / US is 1140 currently.
What I don't understand is the differences in part numbers.
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...to-the-RNS-510
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/r...nd-comparison/

I have a 2005 with the CD navi head unit. So my retrofit looks to be a lot less simple.
Good Luck
post #6 of 15 Old 02-04-2019

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Hello,

I'm looking hard at a 2015 TDI Executive but would really like to get Apple CarPlay functionality. Is it possible to swap system heads and achieve that?

Best regards,

Bill
post #7 of 15 Old 02-05-2019

Garage
This is not the right threads for 2015 questions.
Mine is a 2005 First Gen one off radio and the OP has a 2008.
The RNS510 was the best option radio for those years, but the 2015 has an even better radio - RNS850

And people are adding the Apple Carplay to it.
A quick Google search of "RNS850 Carplay" found these.
https://www.naviplus.com.au/single-p...areg-7P-series
https://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/to...y-retrofitted/
The Following User Says Thank You to Hampton52 For This Useful Post:
Popcorn-Billy (02-07-2019)
post #8 of 15 Old 02-05-2019

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton52 View Post
This is not the right threads for 2015 questions.
Sorry, I'm new to the Touareg and will try to track down the right thread.

Best regards,

Bill
post #9 of 15 Old 02-05-2019

Garage
Good Luck ...
And let me know if you want to trade your soon to be 2015 for my old, used and dirty 2005.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-08-2019

Garage
Somewhere on this forum I found a post that explains the Touareg RNS-510 part numbers are different from the other VW models based on the curve of the front facia.
Now I know why we shouldn't buy a VW Jetta Navi unit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode