Full beam problems - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 19 Old 02-15-2019 Thread Starter

Full beam problems

So here's my problem. I just bought a 04 touareg for a run around vehicle. It has factory hids but the bulbs were replaced at some stage with cheap Chinese D1S bulbs. I just put in a set of osram bulbs, they are no better than the cheap ones, they are straingly dim. When I push the lever forward to put on my fulls, the hids get brighter, if i pull the lever to flash someone let's say a second bulb in the headlight comes on which must be my full beams. Is there a wire crossed somewhere that is making less power go to the hids or is this the way the lights are suppose to be set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-15-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
You need to buy new left and right headlight assemblies. The reflector bowl in the hid projector is burnt and no longer reflective. Sadly, this is a common problem.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-15-2019 Thread Starter

Is there a reason the hids get brighter when I push the lever forward to turn on my high beams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 02-15-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Yes. The lever turns on halogen lights built into the hid headlights. Those halogen bulbs are where the increase in brightness is coming from. It is not coming from the hid bulbs.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt View Post
Yes. The lever turns on halogen lights built into the hid headlights. Those halogen bulbs are where the increase in brightness is coming from. It is not coming from the hid bulbs.
Sorry I might not be expecting it properly. If I park behind another vehicle and push the lever I can see the hids getting brighter. If I pull the lever I see the halogen bulb light up. The halogen bulb does not light up when I push the lever forward. So that's why I'm thinking there is a crossed wire somewhere. I have even got out to have a look after I push the lever forward and the halogen is never on.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-15-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipbyrne View Post
Is there a reason the hids get brighter when I push the lever forward to turn on my high beams.
In bi-xenons both the low and high beam are produced by the same xenon bulb. The difference between these is, that when you only have the low beam on, a shutter masks off the top part of the light beam, so it only shines right in front of you, and when you put on the high beam, the shutter gets completely out of the way, allowing the full beam to exit straight out forward.

So, the hid bulb getting apparently brighter (observed from outside of the headlight assembly) with high beams on is completely normal. And the bulb is not only getting brighter, but it is now emitting light in a different, broader and more straight out pattern than it is when only the low beam is on.

If your headlight appears dim, that might be because the projector is dirty. If the dirt/dust is on the backside of the projector lens, you might be able to clean it by taking out the bulb and carefully reaching in with a microfiber cloth on a stick or something. However, if it's on the outer side of the lens (which you can see when you're looking at the headlight when standing in front of the car), then you can't really do much. I mean you can try to take the headlight assembly apart by melting the glue that holds the front and back parts together, to open it up, but that's not an easy job and you can easily damage stuff. In this case I personally would just leave it as it is, as long as it's still producing a usable amount of light.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnits View Post
Quote:
In bi-xenons both the low and high beam are produced by the same xenon bulb. The difference between these is only, that when you only have the low beam on, a shutter masks off the top part of the light beam, so it only shines right in front of you, and when you put on the
high beam, the shutter gets completely out of the way, allowing the full beam to exit straight out forward.
I actually didnt think they were bi-xenons. That answers my question. The only reason I didnt think they were bi-xenons is because there is a second bulb in the headlight that seems to have no use.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-15-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
I actually didnt think they were bi-xenons. That answers my question. The only reason I didnt think they were bi-xenons is because there is a second bulb in the headlight that seems to have no use.
The second bulb is a halogen H7 bulb, and it's used for flashing and as a cornering light. The indicator bulb is also in that second "tube".
post #9 of 19 Old 02-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnits View Post
Quote:
The second bulb is a halogen H7 bulb, and it's used for flashing and as a cornering light. The indicator bulb is also in that second "tube".
Perfect, thanks. I didnt think vw would put a bulb in just for flashing purposes. I may check a new headlight then to see if they need replacing as the new hids I put in are almost useless. I know the newer models are substantially better but my wife's 2018 tiguan light up 1000% more area than my 2004 and that's not even a exaggeration. If I'm in a street that has decent lighting and I turn my headlights on and off you would not see any difference.
Thanks for the help guys.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-15-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Perfect, thanks. I didnt think vw would put a bulb in just for flashing purposes.
Its primary purpose is the cornering light function. But it's also turned on when flashing the headlight.

Quote:
I may check a new headlight then to see if they need replacing as the new hids I put in are almost useless.
Are you sure you have genuine bulbs? Did you verify the codes from the bulb on OSRAM's site?

Quote:
I know the newer models are substantially better but my wife's 2018 tiguan light up 1000% more area than my 2004 and that's not even a exaggeration. If I'm in a street that has decent lighting and I turn my headlights on and off you would not see any difference.
As said above, you might want to look at the state of the lens, and try cleaning it from the bulb side. Obviously this can only be done if you remove the headlight assembly from the frame.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode