Club Touareg Forum banner

Changing amber turnsignal bulbs

10K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  spockcat 
#1 ·
Has any one changed the orange front turn signal bulbs. I have chrome bulbs in the front and rear of my BMW and they look great. It removes that "egg yolk" look and they still blink amber. How do you remove the headlight to change bulb. Does any one know the bulb types for the turn signal and running light? I would also like to remove the orange reflector from the front. Is there a clear or matching black insert available?

#2 ·
#3 ·
There was a guy on Vortex named cullen who was supposed to be making clear or smoked reflectors to replace the yellow ones but I don't think he found enough interest in them. If you know of any plastic molding houses that can do low volumes at reasonable prices, please let me know. I would be willing to invest in this to some degree to make it into a product but everyone I've talked to starts out at many thousands of Dollars for a mold.

Your other option is to get the Euro lower valance. It doesn't have these reflectors at all. I think the cost is a couple hundred Dollars though.

#5 ·
Like these?

If I remember correctly, they were the OSRAM Diadems from http://www.epimporters.com/ . The part number on their site was LGT-OSRM-DM2.

They look great, but also mod the fog lights:

#7 ·
Yeah, there is a little of the bluish tint, but on a blue vehicle, it's OK. It sure looks a lot better that the egg yolk.

#8 ·
Did it No problem

I changed the turn signal and running lights this am. it took about 10 minutes for both sides. Hint, use an angled forcep to compress and remove runnig light and to turn the turn signal. there was no way I was going to get my hand in to turn them!! I used the Osram bulbs for the turn signals and some solaris bulbs for the running lights. Looks great but may have to buy solaris for the turnsignals( they're chrome so no blue tint). Turns out the Treg uses same bulbs as my BMW so I had an extra few bulbs laying around. :joy: Made a big difference, even my wife noticed when she looked at front of vehicle.

#9 ·
So you found a silver bulb for the marker lights (the exposed orange bulbs)? Any pictures?

#10 ·
silver bulbs

Right now I have the osrams( bluish) in the turnsignals. I'm waiting for the Solaris ( silver ) bulbs to come in. I don't know how to post pics. :anger: You can see the Solaris bulbs on Autowerks.com. You would have to buy the 6 bulb kit. You need the "offset" pins in single filament. ~$50. Oh the price of vanity!! They are the same for my other car ( E46 ) Bmw. the VW is not listed but I believe the bulbs are the same.
the marker lights are gen I solaris and are a flat silver but amber when lit. Let me know how to post pics and I gladly will. The new Solaris are Chrome and come with the turn bulbs(4) and (2) 5w wedge bulbs, these fit the marker lights.

#11 ·
I just spoke with Josh at auto werks he is going to sell just 2 turnsignal bulbs and 2 wedge "peanut" bulbs to me. These should look phenominal in the Treg's housing. The phone # for autowerks is on the web site. You'll need to call and ask for Josh to order just the 4 bulbs, or you'll have to order the set of 6 online. if you tell him you need what Anthony in Elizabeth, NJ ordered for the VW he'll know what you need. Let me get mine in first to make sure all is OK! Don't want to pass on bad info.

#16 ·
To post pics, you can simply use the add an attachment comment below your reply box, choose a file on you disk, and click add attachment. Then add you text comments, click preview or submit!

If the picture is already on a website, you can add the URL in between the
tags.

#17 ·
aircooled said:
If the picture is already on a website, you can add the URL in between the
tags.
...minor clarification: make sure it's the url of the full size image, not a thumbnail. Many folks doing this for the first time find the image in a gallery and past the url of the thumbnail - not what they intended.

#20 ·
bulbs

sorry no pics yet, I'll try this weekend. The bulbs work fine. I'm still waiting for the solaris gen II bulbs. right now I have the osram's in the turnsignals and solaris gen I in the running lights, they are dull silver. The solaris gen II's are almost chrome looking. The only issue is that I sporadically get a "light out" warning on the center display. All lights are on, however. My only thought is that the factory running lights are 5w and I thing the solaris gen I's are 3w. They have not burned out and are about as bright as the amber fact. bulbs.

#21 ·
Make sure that your lights are firmly seated in the housing. You might have a loose plug that make intermittent contact.

#22 ·
Re: Did it No problem

firstvw said:
I changed the turn signal and running lights this am. it took about 10 minutes for both sides. Hint, use an angled forcep to compress and remove runnig light and to turn the turn signal. there was no way I was going to get my hand in to turn them!! I used the Osram bulbs for the turn signals and some solaris bulbs for the running lights. Looks great but may have to buy solaris for the turnsignals( they're chrome so no blue tint). Turns out the Treg uses same bulbs as my BMW so I had an extra few bulbs laying around. :joy: Made a big difference, even my wife noticed when she looked at front of vehicle.
I have the SOlaris bulbs but don't see how to get to them on the car. Can you be more specific about what to take off?

Thanks,

-Will
04 V10

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.