2008 T2 replacing Dynaudio speakers - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 2 Old 01-09-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: VW Bus
Garage
2008 T2 replacing Dynaudio speakers

Hi Touareganauts! Going over my new purchase. I discovered 3 out of 4 woofers in my T2 aren't working. Tweeters still working though. (FYI I have the MFD 2 w/ Nav and Dynaudio sound system). First order of business was to locate the amp ( 7L6 035 466A). It's in my rear right hand side of cargo area. Not too hard to get to. It is mounted just above the CD changer. I found a post with the pix of the wiring harness with the speaker connections to check the ohms for the speakers, and yep, only got a reading on one of the four. My next step was to make that the speakers were the problem. I pulled the door panel off the rear right door. I just happen to have a Dynaudio speaker i pulled from my '12 GTI, so I was able to plug it into the speaker harness, and it was working. To bad it's a smaller speaker and won't work in my T2. So now it's time to hunt for a replacement, and that's turned out to not be that easy.
So there's some interesting diameters being thrown out there for replacements and I thought, we better get this straight. For starters, The actual diameter of the Dynaudio woofer (for this year at least) is NOT "8!! It is a "7 speaker, mounted in an adaptor ring with an outer diameter of 7 7/8" where the 'diaphram' clips on, adding a total of 2" to the overall depth of this OEM setup. The cutout hole in the metal of the door is 7 1/2". The diaphram is important to keep the air pushing out the speaker grill and not get lost inside the door. Now the decision to build homemade adaptors to mount a new speaker because you have to allow for the depth of a new speaker to fit into the door, or find a speaker that will fit into the existing adaptor and still use the existing diaphram. So I'm gonna try to retrofit a new speaker into the OEM adaptor. I called Cruthfield for advice, and that guy kinda chuckled and said " Yeah, Touaregs are a nightmare". I'm finding that out!! They recommend a few of 6 1/2" and 6 3/4" speakers, but proabably won't work with the OEM adaptor. Also, the Dynaudio speakers (T85770) are 8 ohm with 110 watt RMS. I want to keep the power rating as close as possible, because replacing the amp looks like a nightmare too!! There isn't much out there for 7" woofers, but I did find the Kenwood 7" XR-1800 speakers with a 110 watt RMS and there 4 ohm speakers but from what I've read, should be fine. These should fit into that adaptor ring. I'm gonna either have to drill and screw it in somehow, or maybe Liquid Nail it in..LOL! I'm waiting for delivery of these speakers and will see how it works. Fingers crossed!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-01-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2007 V6
Second Vehicle: VW 2
My mid range and tweeters are dead so I too have a mission to solve these.
Laggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by superflydisco View Post
Hi Touareganauts! Going over my new purchase. I discovered 3 out of 4 woofers in my T2 aren't working. Tweeters still working though. (FYI I have the MFD 2 w/ Nav and Dynaudio sound system). First order of business was to locate the amp ( 7L6 035 466A). It's in my rear right hand side of cargo area. Not too hard to get to. It is mounted just above the CD changer. I found a post with the pix of the wiring harness with the speaker connections to check the ohms for the speakers, and yep, only got a reading on one of the four. My next step was to make that the speakers were the problem. I pulled the door panel off the rear right door. I just happen to have a Dynaudio speaker i pulled from my '12 GTI, so I was able to plug it into the speaker harness, and it was working. To bad it's a smaller speaker and won't work in my T2. So now it's time to hunt for a replacement, and that's turned out to not be that easy.
So there's some interesting diameters being thrown out there for replacements and I thought, we better get this straight. For starters, The actual diameter of the Dynaudio woofer (for this year at least) is NOT "8!! It is a "7 speaker, mounted in an adaptor ring with an outer diameter of 7 7/8" where the 'diaphram' clips on, adding a total of 2" to the overall depth of this OEM setup. The cutout hole in the metal of the door is 7 1/2". The diaphram is important to keep the air pushing out the speaker grill and not get lost inside the door. Now the decision to build homemade adaptors to mount a new speaker because you have to allow for the depth of a new speaker to fit into the door, or find a speaker that will fit into the existing adaptor and still use the existing diaphram. So I'm gonna try to retrofit a new speaker into the OEM adaptor. I called Cruthfield for advice, and that guy kinda chuckled and said " Yeah, Touaregs are a nightmare". I'm finding that out!! They recommend a few of 6 1/2" and 6 3/4" speakers, but proabably won't work with the OEM adaptor. Also, the Dynaudio speakers (T85770) are 8 ohm with 110 watt RMS. I want to keep the power rating as close as possible, because replacing the amp looks like a nightmare too!! There isn't much out there for 7" woofers, but I did find the Kenwood 7" XR-1800 speakers with a 110 watt RMS and there 4 ohm speakers but from what I've read, should be fine. These should fit into that adaptor ring. I'm gonna either have to drill and screw it in somehow, or maybe Liquid Nail it in..LOL! I'm waiting for delivery of these speakers and will see how it works. Fingers crossed!!

Black 2007 V6 tdi, Air Suspension, Sat nav (RNS510), 6 disc multi changer, ipod integration, Black & cream leather, Sunroof, Full electric memory seats, electric memory folding mirrors with entry light, dynaudio package, quad zone climate, reversing camera, electric tailgate, bi-xenon 'follow the road' headlights, boot liner(s).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode