What tyres to fit - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 10 Old 01-29-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
What tyres to fit

I have a MY16 150TDI Element that needs new rear tyres. It currently has Continental Cross Contacts, and the rears are worn out at 45k. We do a little bit of towing, but am a bit disappointed that I have only got this mileage out of them.
Two questions;
1. Has anyone tried Pirelli Scorpion All seasons, and what are they like for ride, handling, longevity and noise?
2. As the fronts still have a reasonable amount of life left in them, is it going to cause problems fitting two tyres of a different brand, or should I go for a new set of four?

TIA for any helpful advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-29-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Never mix different makes and models of tyres on a 4x4, especially the Touareg.

All 4 tyres MUST be IDENTICAL to avoid damage to the transmission due to wind up.

So that means same size, same make, same model, same tread pattern, and same tread depth to within 2mm on the same axle and to within 3mm between the front and rear axles.

So, yes, you either need two new CCC tyres to match the fronts if the tread depth on those is 5mm or more (new road biased tyres usually have 8mm) otherwise you need a full set of 4.

45K is good for a Touareg even if that is kilometres!

Click on User CP to update your profile with model, year and location to get accurate answers to any future questions.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #3 of 10 Old 01-29-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Thanks for that noobytoogy. I thought that as the Treg has a central diff I might have been able to use unmatched tyres. Yes, the car has done 45 k km.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-29-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Your current tires have a 680 threadwear rating....
The Scorpions are slightly less at 600
The Scorpions Verde PLUS are rated better at 740.....

I currently have Scorpions Verde on my '14, but haven't owned it too long. I'm very pleased with their comfort, handling and noise.
I plan on replacing them with the more expensive Verde PLUS listed above...... it won't be a cheap purchase, but I suspect it will be worth it.

I think that if you can get 50k+ out of a tire on a vehicle this heavy, especially with towing involved, you're doing amazing. Lots of users wear out tires much faster without any towing. Lower your expectations as I believe they are unrealistic for real world use.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-29-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtresco View Post
Thanks for that noobytoogy. I thought that as the Treg has a central diff I might have been able to use unmatched tyres. Yes, the car has done 45 k km.
Cheers
From the timing of your 1st post I thought you might be down under!

I've always considered 30,000 miles to be okay and anything in excess of that a bonus but then I discard tyres at 50% tread depth as their performance on and off road falls off a cliff after that.

Let us know what you do.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #6 of 10 Old 01-31-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V6
Garage
What tyres to fit

To add to Nooby’s first post...you should even try to get a matching set. Meaning all four of your tires should be milled from the same run of rubber, one right after the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mike H
post #7 of 10 Old 02-01-2019

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtresco View Post
I have a MY16 150TDI Element that needs new rear tyres. It currently has Continental Cross Contacts, and the rears are worn out at 45k. We do a little bit of towing, but am a bit disappointed that I have only got this mileage out of them.
Two questions;
1. Has anyone tried Pirelli Scorpion All seasons, and what are they like for ride, handling, longevity and noise?
2. As the fronts still have a reasonable amount of life left in them, is it going to cause problems fitting two tyres of a different brand, or should I go for a new set of four?

TIA for any helpful advice
I prefer Continental tires on my VW / Audi cars. However, Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires were OE for my 2012 TDI Lux.

I chose to fit the Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus version instead, based on Piirelli's own assessment of the two versions of the Pirelli Scorpion Verde. They performed very well. Kept properly balanced and rotated, they wore evenly on all four tires and handled very well in the wet and light snow. I got three years and 30k miles before they got close to the wear marks. Had I kept the Touareg, I would have replaced them this coming Spring with another set.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-13-2019

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridedirt311 View Post
To add to Nooby’s first post...you should even try to get a matching set. Meaning all four of your tires should be milled from the same run of rubber, one right after the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Is it really that critical?
post #9 of 10 Old 05-13-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
I have just fitted perelli Verdi all season tyres they haven't done a lot of mileage yet but they are certainly quieter and feel good on the road and rated as a high mileage tyre, tyre sales have them on special at the moment.
Colin

Canyon Grey V6 TDI with all i need
post #10 of 10 Old 05-13-2019
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagneauxm View Post
Is it really that critical?

It's known as "Take the Mickey"!

TonyB

MY08 V6TDi, Atacama Grey, Air Suspension, Bi-Xenons
Enhancements: OEM Paddle Shifters, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF, 6 Spot 17Z Front Brakes, FM100 Aux fuel filter + water alarm, Pro Vent catch can, 20" Road Tyres + spare, 17" A/T Off-road tyres + 2 x full size spares, AG Custom alloy underbody front+ centre+rear alloy protection plates.

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White
My first Touareg love affair, found a new home locally.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode