V8 17" vs 18" rims for snow - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 21 Old 11-16-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2005 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
V8 17" vs 18" rims for snow

Guys,

I know that a 17" Canyon rim will fit a 2005 V8 with the standard 330mm rotors. We all agree that a 235 is better than 255 in the snow. Logically, one would go to a 235/65/17 size vs standard 255/55/18 rim on the V8. The issue is that the load rating on any 235/65/17 tires is max. 108. The minimum for the V8 is 109. I am not towing anything in the snow, but not certain if I should go to a 108 load. I know that many tires shops will not even install anything below the suggested rating. How do you feel about this on the V8?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-16-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroR2 View Post
Guys,

I know that a 17" Canyon rim will fit a 2005 V8 with the standard 330mm rotors. We all agree that a 235 is better than 255 in the snow. Logically, one would go to a 235/65/17 size vs standard 255/55/18 rim on the V8. The issue is that the load rating on any 235/65/17 tires is max. 108. The minimum for the V8 is 109. I am not towing anything in the snow, but not certain if I should go to a 108 load. I know that many tires shops will not even install anything below the suggested rating. How do you feel about this on the V8?
I live at 8500'/2500m altitude. Most of the tire shops here are in the city 20 miles away and around 6000'/1800m. When shopping for winter tires there, they say "oh, you need studded tires where you live". Then they find out none have the 109 rating and won't sell me tires nor mount them. Truly a problem.

I wound up buying tires from tirerack.com and found a sympathetic local shop to mount/balance the tires for me. US$64 in cash does the trick. I think Pirelli quit making the tires I use. This year is the last year the ones I have will work. The front left is missing about 20 studs due to me doing donuts last year. Gotta find something new.

Good luck!

Peace!
Carl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GBNF: 77 Chevy 1/2 ton, 79 Rabbit, 84 GTI, 88 GTI-16V, 00 Jetta GLS TDI, 00 Deville
Quote:
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength - E. Hoffer
Hate is like drinking poison and wishing your enemy would die. - Native American
post #3 of 21 Old 11-16-2018

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Way larger selection of tires for 18" rims.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 11-16-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. FYI I am looking for non-studded tires. My concern is not actually finding a shop to mount the tires, rather from a safety standpoint. I buy most of my tires on sale from DiscountTire direct and have a local shop mount the tire and I install them myself (reason proper torque & use of anti-seize paste on backing/ shops do a sloppy job).

In the summers I do some heavy towing and have towed 7k cross country with the V8. That said, normally I don't like to go under the specs regarding load rating 108 vs 109, but that is so darn close. Also, the prices on 17" tires is much better. I was actually looking at some 235/65/17 Blizzak or Latitute X-ICE X12 (both 108 rating vs 109 should be for the V. Is the 108 load fine for the V8 snow tires?
post #5 of 21 Old 11-16-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
<snip>Is the 108 load fine for the V8 snow tires?
I can't fully say since I'm not an engineer of any ilk. All I can say is that I've run 108-rated tires (Pirelli studded Winter Carving Edge's) in 235/56/17 size for 6 years. They typically get mounted in October and pulled around mid April. Touch wood but I've not had a failure yet.

I don't drive at high speeds with them but I have towed our #3500 trailer one time - about 60 miles each way - with no observed problems.

Certainly wouldn't tell you what to do but can say that I would be ok with putting them on my car again. LOL

Good luck!

Peace!
Carl

GBNF: 77 Chevy 1/2 ton, 79 Rabbit, 84 GTI, 88 GTI-16V, 00 Jetta GLS TDI, 00 Deville
Quote:
Hate is like drinking poison and wishing your enemy would die. - Native American
post #6 of 21 Old 11-16-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIRacing View Post
I can't fully say since I'm not an engineer of any ilk. All I can say is that I've run 108-rated tires (Pirelli studded Winter Carving Edge's) in 235/56/17 size for 6 years. They typically get mounted in October and pulled around mid April. Touch wood but I've not had a failure yet.

I don't drive at high speeds with them but I have towed our #3500 trailer one time - about 60 miles each way - with no observed problems.

Certainly wouldn't tell you what to do but can say that I would be ok with putting them on my car again. LOL

Good luck!

Great. I was looking for actual users like you to comment. Must be a beauty to live in 2500m elevation (the views / not the temps). I guess you are a rancher? Not too many plain folks living up there. Thanks again.
post #7 of 21 Old 11-16-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
The difference in load rating is irrelevant - 108 load index tyres allows a theoretical axle load of 2,000 kg (4,409 lbs) which is more than adequate for the plated axle maximums.

I use 235/65 R17 winter tyres, optimised for cold wet conditions rather than snow.

2015 (16MY) Touareg SE 258 bhp
post #8 of 21 Old 11-16-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Great. I was looking for actual users like you to comment. Must be a beauty to live in 2500m elevation (the views / not the temps). I guess you are a rancher? Not too many plain folks living up there. Thanks again.
Thank you! It's an honor and blessing to live here. Not a rancher - all my family were farmers in the lowlands of Louisiana - altitude around 30m. Hard to grow stuff up here. Nothing's cheap here (except me) but the views are awesome. There's some quality about the light - dunno if it's alpenglow or what - but it makes my eyes happy. The view from Pikes Peak summit at sunrise cannot be matched - at least not by me. The cold's not bad. If a guy like me from the deep South can survive it anyone can. The coldest we've seen is -31C. Have to admit that's a bit on the brisk side.

One downside to living up here is the loss of horsepower. At 2500m we lose around 25% compared to sea-level. I drove the Touareg to Dad's funeral - back in Louisiana - a few years ago. Was absolutely staggered at how fast the beastie was. I'd be in so much trouble if I had that power all the time. Truly.

I attached a shot from Winter Solstice sunrise I took a few years ago.

Here's the drive to the location the photo was taken. Love that drive in winter -

You're going to love it in the snow. Not quite "cat on velcro" but darn close. Good luck! Sorry to thread-jack - I'll be quiet now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solstice.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	709.2 KB
ID:	219233  
65laws likes this.

Peace!
Carl

Quote:
post #9 of 21 Old 11-16-2018 Thread Starter

Wow! This shows the need for winter tires and the beast doing it's job. You are truly blessed living there. What a difference from LA. I drove a Penske truck (moving) from FL to WA (3500 miles) and used the northern route (SD, MT). Always tried to stay away from CO because of the altitude. The second trip was towing my 20 foot enclosed car hauler from FL to WA via LA. I did all the calculations regarding air density and never had a problem, even if my rig was over the limit. The highest I went with the Touareg was Flagstaff AZ with rig. I did have an issue in UT with the fuel pumps giving up (most likely didn't cool enough and old at 138k). I made it eventually. When I got to WA, I replaced both of them. I tell you this truck pulled the rig nicely. I did have sway bar, weight distribution and good brake controller. But up the mountains, no problem. I was expecting a 2-3% loss in power for every 1000 feet and Flagstaff is around 7,000 feet = ~ 20% reduction in power with NA engine. Thanks again for all the help and advice. I really appreciate it.
post #10 of 21 Old 11-16-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
The tires you should be looking for are 235/65/17 108 XL

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode