unladen axle weights - Club Touareg Forums

Old 08-10-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2007 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
unladen axle weights

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me where I can find front and rear axle kerb weights for my V6 TDI (I can only find Gross weights) and want to work out comfortable tyre pressures on 19" rims.

Thanks
Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
There should be a black VIN sticker on the RH B-post giving the maximum weights for 1-Front Axle, 2-Rear Axle plus maximum Vehicle and Train weights.

Start with 33/36 psi for T3 or 33/33 psi for T4 - that's VW's recommendation (also on the RH B-post) for European market cars, other markets may be different.

I run my T4 on 265/50R19 at 33/35

2015 (16MY) Touareg SE 258 bhp
Old 08-10-2018
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Funny that you should ask as only a couple of days ago I had my 'Aussie spec '08 3.0tdi's axles weighed by a public weighbridge.

My interest was to obtain the actual laden weight of the vehicle under normal running conditions with fuel, pax and some luggage, mine came in at 1380Kgs (F) and 1300Kgs (R), I can work back to kerb by deduction if need to as I know how much extras was in the vehicle.
Interesting that it is very close to the perfect 50/50 split that manufacturers strive to strike.

As every vehicle will be different based on whats actually in the vehicle I think the only way for you to work out your numbers is to have it weighed.

I am very interested in knowing how you propose to work out tyre pressures based on knowing your actual tare weight, assuming there is a way to work that out, should you not be be looking at your laden not tare weight?

TonyB

MY08 V6TDi, Atacama Grey, Air Suspension, Bi-Xenons
Enhancements: OEM Paddle Shifters, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF, 6 Spot 17Z Front Brakes, FM100 Aux fuel filter + water alarm, Pro Vent catch can, 20" Road Tyres + spare, 17" A/T Off-road tyres + 2 x full size spares, AG Custom alloy underbody front+ centre+rear alloy protection plates.

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White
My first Touareg love affair, found a new home locally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Hi Tony
Interesting that your front axle is at 1380 which happens to be the exact maximum on my 2015 180tdi
Presumably you and another front passenger is all that can be transferred to the front axle as anything in rear seat or cargo would alll go to rear axle
Your rear axle seems fairly light and so assume you had minimal weight in rear.

We are actually heading to Urunga tomorrow for 2 weeks and will do a full individual axle and van weight in the morning and I expect to be very close on all axle weights and so close on Gross Vehicle with around 260 on the ball and very little in the rear, but my Combined Gross will be well inside

Fred K

2015 180kw drivers assist Midnight Blue

2018 140kw TDi Tiguan Highline Tungsten Silver

SOLD 2012 V6TDi June 2012 with Driver Assist Package

SOLD - Ordered V6TDI on 4th Jan 2010 delivered June 2010

2010 VW Eos TDI convertible ( replacement for Hail damaged 2008 model
Old 08-11-2018
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Hi Fred, here are my observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K View Post
Hi Tony

Interesting that your front axle is at 1380 which happens to be the exact maximum on my 2015 180tdi

Coincidence, my '08 model shows a front axle max load of 1460 kgs.

Presumably you and another front passenger is all that can be transferred to the front axle as anything in rear seat or cargo would alll go to rear axle

Pretty much agree with that, there will be a small % going to front but need an engineer to calculate that.

Your rear axle seems fairly light and so assume you had minimal weight in rear.

Not really, I only need now to add my ball weight to that figure as I wanted to simulate a representation of my normal touring load so had I loaded in the back a full size LT spare - (33kgs), (no spacesaver), recovery gear + toolbox + spares + oil/coolant - (50kgs), 3/4 fuel load (est. 70kgs).

We are actually heading to Urunga tomorrow for 2 weeks.....

You could do worse......LOL, we are 2 hrs south of Urunga, if you want to stop for a break, chat and a cuppa on your travel north, call in and see us, we are 8 kms east of Harrington (30kms north of Taree), NSW Mid North Coast, send me a PM and I can send you details, always happy to meet a fellow Tregger.

.......and will do a full individual axle and van weight in the morning and I expect to be very close on all axle weights and so close on Gross Vehicle with around 260 on the ball and very little in the rear, but my Combined Gross will be well inside

I think you will be much closer than you think (hopefully not over) but expect to be surprised on the axle load!
VW Australia was kind enough not to show GCVM on the '08 model (possibly on all the 7L's (T2's)) so I don't have to worry about combination weights.

TonyB

Fred K

MY08 V6TDi, Atacama Grey, Air Suspension, Bi-Xenons
Enhancements: OEM Paddle Shifters, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF, 6 Spot 17Z Front Brakes, FM100 Aux fuel filter + water alarm, Pro Vent catch can, 20" Road Tyres + spare, 17" A/T Off-road tyres + 2 x full size spares, AG Custom alloy underbody front+ centre+rear alloy protection plates.

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White
My first Touareg love affair, found a new home locally.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in