uneven rear tire wear 2014 R-Line + 275/45/20 Nokian WRG3 - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 4 Old 12-27-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

uneven rear tire wear 2014 R-Line + 275/45/20 Nokian WRG3

Hi all,

I have a 2014 TDI RLine with 275/45/20 Nokian WRG3 and found, when taking off my wheels off to try out some other winter tires, that my right rear tire was wearing excessively on the inside. The fronts were both showing just shy of 8 mm with mostly even wear (to the eyes) while the rears are barely showing 4-5 mm and the RR is 3-4 mm and the inside of the RR is almost dangerously worn.

I had the vehicle aligned at ~75,000 km and I'm now at 100,000 km with no known impacts accidents, mistakes or curbing of the wheels. Attached below is the alignment from 2 years ago showing all specs in green and nothing to believe the RR has a problem.

I am assuming I need another 4W alignment regardless?

How adjustable are the rear linkages on the 2014 Touareg? IS toe and camber really adjustable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5350.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	220089  

2014 White/Saddle Exec/R-Line TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-27-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
How long have the tires been on the car?

New tires usually have 8 mm tread when new, maybe 1 or 2 mm more on aggressive treads such as winters or ATs.

So to see 8mm on the front and 4 on the back seems unusual.

Were they all replaced at the same time and are all 4 tires identical in size, make,model and tread pattern?

Regardless, if the 8mm is correct then you need 2 new tires (identical to the other two on the car) to get back within the 3 mm maximum permissable difference between tires on the front and rear axles to avoid transmission damage due to wind up.

Given that Touaregs normally wear their tires pretty evenly then it looks like l you need a full 4 wheel laser alignment when you fit the new tires and also you need to get all your suspension bushes checked. Something sounds out of kelter on your car.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #3 of 4 Old 12-27-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

I am not sure about the length of time the tires have been on as I am 2nd owner. However, based on their tread depth at 73,000 km when I purchased, the tires looked near new (8-9 mm). So, I'll estimate they have been on since 65,000 km or for about 35,000 km now- that's less than half their rated treadwear rating of 80,000 km. This tracks well with the wear on the fronts.

I think in my post above I was assuming new tires had 10-11 mm but I was probably thinking in 32nd's of an inch so if new tires are in general 8 mm it makes sense. More accurately the fronts are showing 6 mm or slightly more and the rears are showing 4 mm or maybe 4.25 mm.

I took a closer look at the rears and while the RR is worst, the LR also has some feathering on the inside. Although the rear toe and camber are in spec I wonder if the combined values are just too much...I'll have the bushings checked as you noted...

2014 White/Saddle Exec/R-Line TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-28-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Suspension components wear out... even without curb hits and such...... a large pothole can have negative effects on an alignment. I would take it in for another check\alignment. Make sure the shop is competent and they actually check for worn out components.

How often do you check your tire pressures, or how closely do you monitor them? Are you running TPMS?

Also, looking at your report above, you have 3 wheels showing an inflation of ZERO PSI..... I'd start questioning the status of the shop equipment being used based on that....... perhaps try a different alignment shop this time!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode