Ugly Rotors - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 8 Old 04-22-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2014 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Ugly Rotors

The harsh Canadian winters have taken a toll on my T3 rotors - Nothing that would effect braking performance, just purely cosmetic. Any suggestions on how best to clean them up and keep them looking more pretty? Some basic cleaning attempts did little to provide any improvement.

Thanks,
Calibre
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3919.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	880.1 KB
ID:	222621   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3911.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	637.4 KB
ID:	222623  

Name:	IMG_3909.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	477.3 KB
ID:	222625  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-22-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2014 V6 FSI
Apologies - Wrong pictures !! Those are related to another cosmetic blunder - That is being fixed this week. Correct pictures now posted.

Calibre
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3932.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	554.0 KB
ID:	222627   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3933.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	569.4 KB
ID:	222629  

Name:	IMG_3934.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	551.6 KB
ID:	222631  
post #3 of 8 Old 04-22-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Mine look the same. I was thinking of clearcoating them or something similar. Looks like ass with nice dark rims mounted up.

"Callie" - 2013 Touareg TDI Execline, Cool Silver on Titan black
"Sophie" - 2010 Touareg TDI Highline, Campanella white on Anthracite - sold back to VW
"Celeste" - 2009 Eos 2.0T DSG Lux, Candy white on Anthracite
"Simone" - 2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, HID projectors
"Rocinante" - 1990 JDM HDJ81 Toyota Landcruiser turbodiesel, 5 speed, RHD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-22-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Typical.... just spray them to keep them presentable every time to swap your winters on\off
post #5 of 8 Old 04-23-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibre View Post
Any suggestions on how best to clean them up and keep them looking more pretty? Some basic cleaning attempts did little to provide any improvement.
You can use an "iron/fallout remover" to get rid of the already existing rust, but it will return in no time. Especially if the rust has already pitted the surface. Next time get coated rotors that have their surface treated with an anti-corrosion stuff that will prevent the build up of rust on parts that are not in direct contact with other moving parts of the car.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-23-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnits View Post
You can use an "iron/fallout remover" to get rid of the already existing rust, but it will return in no time. Especially if the rust has already pitted the surface. Next time get coated rotors that have their surface treated with an anti-corrosion stuff that will prevent the build up of rust on parts that are not in direct contact with other moving parts of the car.
With the crap they spray on our roads in NA, no coating will save them...... our vehicles barely last 5-6 years around here before they start to rot..... if you're in the snow belt where they spray the liquid deicer on the roads..... that crap eats everything.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-24-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Hmm do you often feel concerned with the wheels off and the appearance of the discs? Try putting the wheels back on and try looking at the wheels themselves. I might think a little better.

I cant imagine the brakes would need to be in as new condition all their life. Maybe try ceramics or is the affect the cause of salt. If so not going to get away from that easy.

MY08 - 2009 - TDI V6 (CASA) - APR Tune *** Zenec ZE-NC2051D - Bluetooth - USB - DVD & MZone *** Air Suspension - AFS Xenon - OEM Rear Full Spare - OEM Tow Pack - TPMS. *** Alex G : Light bar, Winch bar - PLUS 8T Winch, Rock-sliders, front & centre under body armour protection, Rear Diff (Flying Nun) and Rear A-Arm armour Protection. *** Car DNA rear lights - Ulter Sport Exhaust Tips - M&H Pro Vent 200 - Team Heko Deflectors.

MY05 - V8 Loved, lost but never forgotten. (Gone)
post #8 of 8 Old 04-26-2019

Send a message via Skype™ to JMGTreg
Mine look the same and now that the weather is improving, although we're supposed to get snow over the weekend, I would like to get rid of the surface rust on the rotor cap. I was thinking of brushing it off, finish sanding / steel wool to make it smooth, then paint with a matte silver paint to minimize further rusting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode