Club Touareg Forum banner

Tyre size - advice needed.

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  noobytoogy 
#1 ·
Hi everybody!
I recently put 275/55/19's on the back of my V10Treg.
Since having done this, the back end will make an loud clunking sound at different times, anyone know what this could be? Its always at low speed, and after having gone over a speed hump or the like?
Also, forgive my naiveness, but can I put a slightly smaller tyre on the front, like 255/55/19? Without damaging my car or Ir suspension?

#5 ·
As above except I say all 4 MUST be the same size, same make, same model, same tread pattern, and with no more than 2mm tread depth difference between tyres on the same axle and no more than 3 mm tread depth difference between front and rear axles.

With the noises you describe, then as advised, do NOT drive it anywhere or you will wreck a $20K transmission.

#3 ·
The 4XMotion drive line MUST have all tyres, within very tight tolerances, at the same rolling size (circumference). If you are running different sizes front to rear then you are at a very real risk of damaging your drive line. This WILL result in a very expensive repair.

Whatever you do, makes sure you run the same make model and size tyre on ALL four corners.

The noise you are hearing may very well be the centre differential system trying to compensate for the variance in size.. My best advice is DO NOT run the car any distance until you change the tyre to the same...

Regards
Stuart.....

#4 ·
Oh my! Thank you so much I will park it up and source another two tyres! As any V10 Touareg owner would know, everything costs an absolute fortune to repair on these vehicles, having spent over 11k on an under the bonnet repair previously, i absolutely dont want to risk it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.