TIRES PRESSURE - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 7 Old 03-23-2019 Thread Starter

TIRES PRESSURE

On my 2015 Touareg 3.0 tdi I find the reccomended tire pressure too low. I mainly do motorways miles and 0 off road. In particular I find the front too soft. Now I have inflated the front at 2.7 bar and back at 3 and it rides very well. Slightly softer stearing and same confort. High load reccomended pressure is 2.5 front and 3 on the back. I have the original Pirelli scorpion tires. I have never felt the same problem with other cars.
What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-23-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I run my 2016 Touareg at the recommended 2.3/2.3 as that seems best for ride comfort and even tyre wear - I've experimented with 2.4>2.5 but that just makes the ride harsher. That's with the OE Bridgestone Dueler Sport H/P 265/50R19

I tried the high load recommendation 2.5/3.0 when towing but ride comfort suffered so I now use 2.5/2.5 in that condition.

My winter tyres are Dunlop SP Winter Sport D4 235/65R17, run at 2.3/2.3 and have better ride comfort that the 19"s

I've driven a Touareg on 21"s - the ride comfort was appaling!

2015 (16MY) Touareg SE 258 bhp
post #3 of 7 Old 03-23-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: 2015 V6 TDI
I used to run my front and rear tires with 4-5 lbs more than the recommended 33 psi and 39 psi so I would be at from 38F and 44R(the Cayenne recommends 39F/44R) and over time, had noticed that the center of the tire was wearing a little quicker due to the slight overinflation so I have gone back to the stock, recommended pressures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-23-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks. I run 20 inch wheels which are standard. The tires are extra load so pretty solid on the side hence limited difference in confort at higher pressure. My front show little extra wear on the external side so extra pressure might help with this. I do not believe I have an alignment problem. Interesting that you feel decreased confort while I do not and actually find my touareg more responsive and quiet on the motorway. I usually drive with max 2 people and little extra items. I personally feel the reccomended preassure is too low and perhaps calculated considering some light offroad. I would not go offroad with my current high pressure. Thanks. F
post #5 of 7 Old 03-23-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: 2015 V6 TDI
I also have 275 45 20 all the way around.

It is no problem running more air pressure in the fronts, or the rears. Just pump them up and see how you like it and adjust psi-away.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-23-2019
Touareg Guru

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
For anyone running tyres at over 40PSI (checked when cold of course) do double check the tire''s maximum pressure that's stamped on the sidewall just in case your choice of pressure exceeds it.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #7 of 7 Old 03-25-2019 Thread Starter

Looks like I am running Porsche Cayenne pressure then!
And as per above post one should not go over max pressure written on the tires side. Pressure in this large tires goes up a lot when driving. Although I think the max pressure is when cold and this tires can stand pretty high pressure before causing any problem. Whatever the pressure the sides are quite weak and I punctured one touching a parking pole when inflated at reccomended pressure. It is also true this is a heavy car and this has definitely an impact.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode