Steering wheel shake related to mass damper option code? - Club Touareg Forums

Old 01-01-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
Steering wheel shake related to mass damper option code?

I noticed in the list of option codes, there are 5 variants for steering damper:
1Q0 none
1Q1 26.5Hz
1Q2 36Hz
1Q3 xxHz
1Q4 32Hz

I found my option codes printed on a label adhered to the spare tire. I have steering wheel shakes around 70mph, even after performing the TSB, and I have the 26.5 Hz damper.

Curious to know if other markets, Germany for example, have a damper tuned for autobahn speeds, vs USA where maybe they are tuned for 55-65mph. Could swapping the mass damper reduce steering wheel shake, primarily at ~70mph? 26.5Hz is the lowest frequency damper listed.

Please post your steering damper option code, Model/year, country, and if you have the shakes.

1Q1 - 2014 Tdi Exec - USA - Shakes @ 70mph - TSB done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 10.05.47 AM.png
Views:	45
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	220169  

2014 Touareg Tdi

'03 Range Rover HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

90kw Siemens AC induction motor
Home built drive inverter
33kWh Lithium pack
90k electric miles since 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Just a quick aside.
1. Have you had the tires balanced on a Hunter Road Force Balance machine? If there is a valid substitute for the Hunter, I have not found it yet. Talk to the tech quickly and tell him that you are having issues before they use the Hunter.
2. Have you personally performed the tsb with a torque wrench? It is not hard, but you will be shocked by the number of tire shop techs that will scoff at the tsb and then grab the air wrench.

If yes on those two questions, then (3.) start looking at the bushings and the general condition of the front end suspension.

As a last resort, take the Touareg to the same people who work on the local Cayenne fleet. Generally you pay more, but get a much more meticulous repair.
Old 01-01-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Interesting in that I recall something from the past about the mass damper but I'm beggared if I can remember the detail!

As above, the TSB seemed to have cured most cats when correctly applied to correctly balanced wheels.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Garage
I haven't had tires road force balanced, but I did put new tires on, and problem is unchanged. I did the TSB myself using a torque wrench. The TSB says to clean the wheel mating surfaces which I did, but also seems like the rotor to hub surfaces should be done as well. I'll start checking bushings next. Steering wheel seems to only shake for the first 30 mins of driving, then seems to go away once warmed up. VW dealership says since the problem occurs at 70mph, they are not allowed to test at that speed. I don't have high confidence they will find an issue with that being said.

Interesting that VW didn't use a concentric ring for centering the wheel, I can see how the wheel would hang slightly off center if not hanging on a tang positioned at 12 o'clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt View Post
Just a quick aside.
1. Have you had the tires balanced on a Hunter Road Force Balance machine? If there is a valid substitute for the Hunter, I have not found it yet. Talk to the tech quickly and tell him that you are having issues before they use the Hunter.
2. Have you personally performed the tsb with a torque wrench? It is not hard, but you will be shocked by the number of tire shop techs that will scoff at the tsb and then grab the air wrench.

If yes on those two questions, then (3.) start looking at the bushings and the general condition of the front end suspension.

As a last resort, take the Touareg to the same people who work on the local Cayenne fleet. Generally you pay more, but get a much more meticulous repair.

2014 Touareg Tdi

'03 Range Rover HSE

33kWh Lithium pack

Old 01-01-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
The ring was on the early models. VW removed it on the later units. I can just throw a tire on my 2006 and it self centers every time. What a stupid thing to de-content.

I can point you to the master thread on SWS. VW ended up buying back some cars under lemon law over this issue. This entire SWS issue belongs in a Monty Python Skit.

I will just say that I am a big believer in the Hunter Road Force. The machine is that good.

All I can add is that several of the silica infused tires I have used can get a slight flat spot after sitting on concrete for about 72 hours. It always works out quickly, in less then two miles when it happens. So, that does not seem to be your problem.

Also it does not fit the symptoms of the center bearing. That one usually starts as a 40-50ish slight thump or rumble.

Quote:
Steering wheel seems to only shake for the first 30 mins of driving, then seems to go away once warmed up.
Hey front end guys (which I am not one). Does this sound like anything front end related?
Old 01-01-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Are you using the wheel locating pin that should be in your tool kit when fitting your wheels?

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek

Garage
Yep I used the guide pin, though I can't say for sure if I snugged up the 4 other lug nuts before removing the guide pin. I assumed the datum was off the hub crenelations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
Are you using the wheel locating pin that should be in your tool kit when fitting your wheels?

2014 Touareg Tdi

'03 Range Rover HSE

33kWh Lithium pack

Old 01-01-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Garage
etischer
there is a host of threads regarding wheel shake. Front wheels are very sensitive to it.
Old 01-02-2019 Thread Starter

Garage
I've read through a lot of the threads, but there doesn't seem to be a root cause. For some, the TSB has worked, for others it hasn't. I haven't seen any mention of mass damper in the discussions, so thought it might be worth exploring. I know on my previous Land Rover, there was literally a dumbbell weight bolted on to change the harmonic frequency of the front axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazaflash View Post
etischer
there is a host of threads regarding wheel shake. Front wheels are very sensitive to it.

2014 Touareg Tdi

'03 Range Rover HSE

33kWh Lithium pack

Old 01-02-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Garage
Aahhh! Now I understand. many thanks

It is attached at the front anti-roll bar mounting!

There are so many variables to the steering wheel shake that it is not something that you can point a finger at and say “its that”
I also agree that because the hubs are not used for centering the wheel it is more susceptible to other variables, like, wheel balancing, torque, position in relation to disc bolt, clean hub face, type of wheel, gyration, orders of magnitude and the angle of the fifth moon in relation to the cup holder on the passenger side

I follow the VW bulletin, torque the wheel car as per increments, always clean hub face and wheel mtg face, as usual and I have never had any wheel shake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in