Squeaking brakes - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 8 Old 05-11-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Squeaking brakes

I know thereís many threads on here with issues of squeaking brakes but they all seem to be first thing in the morning or reversing. I could handle that.

Both times Iíve replaced my pads itís squeaked nearly the whole time. Iíve done about 3k miles on new brembo pads and itís still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-11-2019

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Is it only when braking lightly, heavily, or all the time when braking? What shape were the discs in or did you replace those as well?

2011 Touareg TDI Executive - 138k miles, 2014 Passat TDI SEL - 88k miles (daily driver)
Previous - 11 other VWs, from A1, A2, G1, B4, B5, A5, A6, NMS platforms. I've owned a few Chevy HDs as well.
VCDS HEX-CAN owner
post #3 of 8 Old 05-11-2019

Touareg: 2013 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
What are you replacing with? Mine never squeak and on the orig brakes at 58k miles.

2013 VW Touareg Exec V6, Black/Black Int, 21" Mallory Wheels.
2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus, Black/Black Sport Int
2007 GMC Acadia SLT2, Metallic Brown/Brick Int

Sold:
2013 Buick Enclave Premium, Opel White/Black Int
2006 Mini Cooper S Convertible
2001.5 VW Passat GLX 4Motion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-12-2019

Touareg: 2008 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2008 V10 TDI
Squeaking Brakes

Brush a light smear of hi temp copper grease between the shims and the steel back of the pads, remove the steel shims to accomplish this, also a very light dab of copper hi temp grease on the pad steel ends where they slide and make contact into the calipers. Exercise caution when applying do not get the grease on the friction side of the pads, use a judicious amount. This will fix your problem tc
The Following User Says Thank You to TedC For This Useful Post:
jaykurb (05-12-2019)
post #5 of 8 Old 05-12-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmonkey View Post
Is it only when braking lightly, heavily, or all the time when braking? What shape were the discs in or did you replace those as well?

When the wheels turns it squeaks, sounds like the boots full of crickets if I have the window down. It squeaks constantly doesnít matter if hot or cold, it actually stops squeaking when I brake

post #6 of 8 Old 05-12-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedC View Post
Brush a light smear of hi temp copper grease between the shims and the steel back of the pads, remove the steel shims to accomplish this, also a very light dab of copper hi temp grease on the pad steel ends where they slide and make contact into the calipers. Exercise caution when applying do not get the grease on the friction side of the pads, use a judicious amount. This will fix your problem tc

Thanks il give that a try. The person who fitted the pads did say he used copper grease but maybe not in the same way, so wonít hurt trying again.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-12-2019

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykurb View Post
When the wheels turns it squeaks, sounds like the boots full of crickets if I have the window down. It squeaks constantly doesnít matter if hot or cold, it actually stops squeaking when I brake

This symptom can be because the pads are still in contact with the rotors when you aren't applying brake pressure. Typically, that is because the caliper isn't being pushed back, or isn't allowed to go back because the guide pins are gummed up or rusted. It can be overlooked when just putting on new pads, which the application of grease on the back of the clips and pads wouldn't fix a problem with the guide pins. The trick is going to see which one is doing it, because even though it can be loud, it probably is only one brake doing it.

2011 Touareg TDI Executive - 138k miles, 2014 Passat TDI SEL - 88k miles (daily driver)
Previous - 11 other VWs, from A1, A2, G1, B4, B5, A5, A6, NMS platforms. I've owned a few Chevy HDs as well.
VCDS HEX-CAN owner
The Following User Says Thank You to goodmonkey For This Useful Post:
jaykurb (05-12-2019)
post #8 of 8 Old 05-13-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
You might be dragging a brake pad, Do have a lot of brake dust on any or all wheels. My 2012 TDI squeeked on reversing in the morning then went away for the rest of the day,so not the same issue. The new 2016 doesn't squeek at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode