• 1 Post By nickyt
  • 1 Post By New2Tregs
  • 1 Post By NTDI

post #1 of 10 Old 03-08-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Sourcing Wheel vendors

Greetings,

Toying w the idea of buying VW 20” Pike’s Peak double blade, five spoke wheels as summer rims and use my 19” for winter setup.

Are there any recommendations for sourcing VW OEM wheels besides the dealerships?

Also, should one stay away from replica branded wheels?

Thxs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-08-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
The most optimal winter setup IMO is the widely available 18" factory wheels with winter tires.

But, if you really want 20" summer, I see the logic of what you propose.

If price is not an issue, then skip to the good luck part.

You might want to price those winter tires in both 19" and 18" inches before making a final decision.

You might double check the 19" and 20" summer tires also, just to be sure. The 19" tires at one point cost more then the other sizes. I don't know if this is still true or even applies to your market.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Treg3LuxTDI likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickyt For This Useful Post:
Treg3LuxTDI (03-10-2019)
post #3 of 10 Old 03-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt View Post
The most optimal winter setup IMO is the widely available 18" factory wheels with winter tires.

But, if you really want 20" summer, I see the logic of what you propose.

If price is not an issue, then skip to the good luck part.

You might want to price those winter tires in both 19" and 18" inches before making a final decision.

You might double check the 19" and 20" summer tires also, just to be sure. The 19" tires at one point cost more then the other sizes. I don't know if this is still true or even applies to your market.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I agree, more sidewall is generally a better winter wheel/tire combo, thus the 18”s. I am just trying to ‘repurpose’ the 19”s for winter. And yeah, tire prices are all over the place. Depending up tire size and model, $200-$400 per tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-14-2019
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Interesting. I've been looking at the opposite going from the 20" wheels to 18" for mud/snow tires.

The 20s seem to do the job just fine with Michelin. But all-terrain options are almost non existent in 20". 18" seems to offer the best number of tire options. As a side note though I'm not sure Nokian makes 18" snow tires. But there are lots of 18" All terrains and of course other companies make 18" snow tires as well...

Have you had any luck with 19" all terrains or snow tires?

As to your original question you can probably find a set of 20" on e-bay. If it were me I'd buy a fair priced set and find a local wheel shop that repairs/refurbishes if you want them to look like new. I thought about having mine refurbished as they have some curb rash but decided for me its not worth the $75/ wheel that I've been quoted.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-17-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTDI View Post
Interesting. I've been looking at the opposite going from the 20" wheels to 18" for mud/snow tires.

The 20s seem to do the job just fine with Michelin. But all-terrain options are almost non existent in 20". 18" seems to offer the best number of tire options. As a side note though I'm not sure Nokian makes 18" snow tires. But there are lots of 18" All terrains and of course other companies make 18" snow tires as well...

As to your original question you can probably find a set of 20" on e-bay. If it were me I'd buy a fair priced set and find a local wheel shop that repairs/refurbishes if you want them to look like new. I thought about having mine refurbished as they have some curb rash but decided for me its not worth the $75/ wheel that I've been quoted.

I see the guys at carid.com sell refurb’ed factory wheels.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-17-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treg3LuxTDI View Post
I see the guys at carid.com sell refurb’ed factory wheels.
I bought a 2010 set of refurbished wheels from a seller on Ebay that I used for my Winter setup.

One of the wheels had a little bit of discolor that the seller said looked like over spray. He was nice enough to send out a replacement wheel at no cost and told me to keep the discolored wheel as a spare. I swear the replacement he sent me is a brand new wheel because there are absolutely no marks anywhere on the wheel, not even the inside where they would have mounted stick on weights. I would definitely recommend him. I can PM you his store link if you want, and you could ask him if he has what you are looking for.
The pic. below is the wheels mounted on my Treg.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side view.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	466.5 KB
ID:	221827  
Treg3LuxTDI likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to New2Tregs For This Useful Post:
Treg3LuxTDI (03-19-2019)
post #7 of 10 Old 03-19-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Tregs View Post
I bought a 2010 set of refurbished wheels from a seller on Ebay that I used for my Winter setup.

One of the wheels had a little bit of discolor that the seller said looked like over spray. He was nice enough to send out a replacement wheel at no cost and told me to keep the discolored wheel as a spare. I swear the replacement he sent me is a brand new wheel because there are absolutely no marks anywhere on the wheel, not even the inside where they would have mounted stick on weights. I would definitely recommend him. I can PM you his store link if you want, and you could ask him if he has what you are looking for.
The pic. below is the wheels mounted on my Treg.

Nice, pls do DM me. I want to buy 19” ‘Pikes Peak’ style wheels, double blade, five spoke. These were stock on the ‘exe’ trim but in 20”. I think I’ll stick w 19’s yo keep ride quality reasonable. Worry 20’s will be too harsh. Thxs!
post #8 of 10 Old 03-19-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTDI View Post

I intend to use a true winter rated tire, like bridgestone blizzaks on my current wheels, a five spoke ‘everest’ model vw wheel during winter. Then use a summer continental brand tire on some refurb’ed wheels, also to stay at 19”.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-01-2019 Thread Starter

Has anyone used CarI D sourced replica, refurbished wheels from a vendor called ‘Replace’? I like the price point, just wonder about quality, reliability, safety?

https://www.carid.com/replace/19-rem...y69996u20.html
post #10 of 10 Old 04-01-2019
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Not sure what to tell you. There are a few wheel repair shops around the country that can restore a wheel to like new condition. I would call them up and find out who does their refurbishment.

I just looked at a pair of 18's on their site and it is tempting. I could just as easily get a used pair and send them to the local wheel collision repair shop and have them refurbished for about $80/each. So the price ID is asking isn't too bad.

If it were me I'd call them and find out, then order one wheel and take a look at it. Less risk and you can easily ship it back if you don't like it,
Treg3LuxTDI likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to NTDI For This Useful Post:
Treg3LuxTDI (04-04-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode