Remove locking wheel nuts - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 27 Old 01-21-2015 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Remove locking wheel nuts

Hi, i'm new here and hope I can get some advise please. I have a 2009 V6 TDI and the locking wheel nut has become damaged. I've been told by my local garage that it will have to be broken off and could take anything from 10 minutes to 5 hours! I thought i'd ask on here to see how others have sorted this problem out, perhaps special ways or special places to go to? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-21-2015
Touareg Mechanic

You can get it off by hammering a socket onto it. Can't remember what size the mechanic used. Just need to find one that is the correct size to wedge onto it tightly, then carefully unscrew the assembly of socket and wheel bolt. it will damage the nut further, but so what. I actually salvaged mine with a file. in my case I left the key socket on the wheel after changing a flat and spun it off somewhere. Bought a new key socket. Can't remember how I found the correct one out of about a dozen.

2006 V10 TDI Reflex Silver/Anthracite w/Monster Mats, Cargo Shell, Nokian WRG2's, Telestart T91 and VCDS
post #3 of 27 Old 01-21-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgibson View Post
You can get it off by hammering a socket onto it.
That is one way to do it. If you can get a bite on it, you might get lucky and be able to back out the lug.

But I suspect what your mechanic used was a "reverse thread socket" that are designed to remove rounded bolts. You can pound them on, and they are tapered and as you turn them to remove the bolt, they bite harder and deeper into the damaged bolt.

Can get them at Sears or Auto Parts stores or even Harbor Freight Tools or order on-line. Here's what one looks like:

http://www.carid.com/hanson/extracto...MBYaAtgK8P8HAQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 01-21-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Sounds like a nifty tool but I watched as he tried his deep wall impact soctets on for size.

2006 V10 TDI Reflex Silver/Anthracite w/Monster Mats, Cargo Shell, Nokian WRG2's, Telestart T91 and VCDS
post #5 of 27 Old 01-21-2015
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
reverse thread socket as others have mentioned...just need to make sure there is enough room around the lug bolt to hammer the socket on there.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
post #6 of 27 Old 01-21-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Hmmm.... If I recall correctly, the stock VW security lug bolts on my Touareg have a freely rotating heavy outer cylindrical steel sleeve to prevent the use of back-out sockets...

2012 Touareg TDI ("Badger"), Highline with sport and towing pkg., Canyon Grey/Black. Awesome.

1984 Toyota Landcruiser BJ60 ("Huntley"), Blue/Brown, 3B diesel, manual everything, daily driver for the past 27 years and 454,000km. Priceless.

Dog is my co-pilot.
post #7 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roalco View Post
Hmmm.... If I recall correctly, the stock VW security lug bolts on my Touareg have a freely rotating heavy outer cylindrical steel sleeve to prevent the use of back-out sockets...

Bumping a very old thread.
Does anyone know if this is true?
Had an air impact monkey mess up one of my wheel locks.

I'm planning on getting rid of the locks but need to get this one damaged one off.
Thanks.

post #8 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Garage
Nevermind...found out it is.
Time for plan B.
Next plan C- 22mm to get rid of the collar. Then a 3/4" emergency lock nut remover.

post #9 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: 2015 V6 TDI
I went through a tough time, when I was swapping my 2012 20" Pikes Peak wheels for a set of 2004 Cayenne Turbo 17" wheels/tires, the lock had been stripped by the previous tire change moron.

I had tried banging a socket on and that was no luck.

I got an emergency locking lug nut removing socket which has threads on the inside of it, much like an ez-out but in reverse. After much effort, the emergency socket worked and I was able to get the round lugnut with the puzzle-face, off. It was a PITA but I got it.

I had to damage the round collar that goes around the bolt enough so that the threads of the emergency socket could get a bite on the bolt and once I was able to get that to happen, the e-socket was able to get the bolt out.
post #10 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Garage
I read in another thread I found somewhere that a 22mm socket wold go over that collar and get it to come off the bolt. If the 22mm trick doesnt work then I'll use a small cutting wheel to cut the collar a bit then split it with a cold chisel. Then using the 3/4" e-socket the bolt itself should break free so it can be removed.
Luckily it's only 1 lock bolt I have to deal with. The other three are all changed already.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode