Rear Suspension Level Sensor Wiring? - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 5 Old 10-10-2018 Thread Starter

Rear Suspension Level Sensor Wiring?

I'm in the process of removing the air suspension system completely to swap over into my Q7.

The one thing I can't figure out is the rear suspension level sensors. I removed them completely, but I was at the partsyard the other day looking for a set of coil suspension to swap in, and they had an 04 V8 model just like mine but without air suspension, and it had the rear level sensors.

According to the wiring diagrams, it uses the front sensors for the HID headlights, which my Q7 also has so I'm not swapping those over. I'm fine with putting the rear sensors back in to the Touareg, but just not sure where they are supposed to be wired to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-10-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
For air suspension you need all 4 levelling sensors. If you have steel springs and HID lights, you need the FL and RL levelling sensors. However, if you're converting from air to steel suspension, you need to re-wire the levelling sensors. Cars with air suspension have all 4 sensors wired to the level control module. Cars with steel suspension have the 2 left sensors wired to the headlight range module.

'81 Rabbit S 16vG60 | '01 A6 2.7TT 6MT | '15 Touareg TDI Exec R-line

- OEM air suspension retrofit
- OEM parking heater retrofit
- OEM Easy-Open hatch retrofit
- OEM ambient lighting retrofit
post #3 of 5 Old 10-10-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks, that's exactly what I originally thought, which is why I was shocked to find an 04 V8 Touareg with HID lights at the parts yard with steel suspension and it had the rear level sensors as well. I thought maybe it was originally an air car that someone converted to steel, but the option sticker didn't have 1BK code. I guess I could go back and investigate the wiring to see where those rear sensors lead to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-10-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
As I said, for the headlight you have one front left sensor, and one rear left sensor.

'81 Rabbit S 16vG60 | '01 A6 2.7TT 6MT | '15 Touareg TDI Exec R-line

- OEM air suspension retrofit
- OEM parking heater retrofit
- OEM Easy-Open hatch retrofit
- OEM ambient lighting retrofit
post #5 of 5 Old 10-10-2018 Thread Starter

So you're saying the HID lights with steel suspension uses only the front left sensor and rear left sensor? that's really interesting. The parts yard car I was looking at the left side as well, couldn't get to the right side as there was a giant puddle. So I wrongly assumed that the right side rear sensor was there when in fact it shouldn't be there. That also makes sense as the wiring diagrams show them as "Light Range Regulation Sensor 1" and "Light Range Regulation Sensor 2" on the headlight circuit but the air suspension diagram has them labeled front left, rear left, front right, rear right.

Thank you so much! That has solved the mystery for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode