Pulsating Brakes at High Speeds - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By VWBob
  • 1 Post By burnslondon

post #1 of 4 Old 07-30-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Pulsating Brakes at High Speeds

I'm sure this has been covered before but for some reason I can't do a search to find previous threads, a page saying 'DATA BASE ERROR' keeps showing up.

Anyways, on the highway if I've been driving my '14 TDI for awhile and I'm driving at around 125km/h I will begin to get some pulsating vibrations when braking. Especially on a downhill.

I've checked the rotors and they seem fine, and the pads were newly installed when I bought the Touareg just 6 months ago. Has anyone else have this issue and found out what the culprit may be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-30-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
A good brake shop can measure rotor thickness and runout. If those are in spec as well as suspension bushings and alignment are ok, consider looking at the brake lines themselves.

I say that because my 1977 pickup used to stop fine the first few times then develop a shimmy/shake/pulsating pedal. I replaced the entire front suspension and all the brake parts (even master cylinder) and it still happened. Finally found the culprit was the $2 brake hose from the hardline to the caliper. It had deteriorated inside but looked ok from outside.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.

Peace!
Carl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GBNF: 77 Chevy 1/2 ton, 79 Rabbit, 84 GTI, 88 GTI-16V, 00 Jetta GLS TDI, 00 Deville
Quote:
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength - E. Hoffer
Hate is like drinking poison and wishing your enemy would die. - Native American
post #3 of 4 Old 07-30-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
My 2 cents, if they replaced just the brake pads than you may have an issue with the rotors. Even if they did replace the rotors they may not be flat.

Good shops have a gauge they can set up to measure the run out of the rotor surface, not sure what spec is but that would give you an indication if it may be the rotors and runout usually gets worse when they get warm from braking.
HIRacing likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-30-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Thanks guys, I think I'll have a shop check out the rotors. I have a big trip driving a boat through the Rockies next month so I want to make sure there's not issues. I'll keep you posted on what comes to light
HIRacing likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode