New brakes/flush still spongy??? - Page 3 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #21 of 33 Old 06-06-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Replying here as well.

Went to German Autowerks, they're the ones that did my E-brake calibration to get the drums closer. They said bleed looked good to them which was done by Motorkars. Motorkars seemed to be a knowledgeable shop and did the bleed/front pads/rotors but I left them for the brake situation after my specific tech said that TDI's will never have the same brake bite as their Gas counterpart....

Gave Dandinis a call yesterday actually they seem like they could help out in this situation so we will see. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 Old 06-07-2019 Thread Starter

@TurboABA , do you have SS brake lines on your Treg? If the lines were still in decent shape would SS potentially help?

Also update here: I'm probably getting annoying by this point ha. I went and bed the brakes some more with 60-25mph stops which seemed to help 25% or so....
Went to another shop where the mechanic drives a Q7 and he said my brakes were in the right realm of things. He put my pedal travel down mostly to the way the brakes are and the fact I just put Akebonos on which lack initial bite/grit to them.

So what it looks like is in general this platforms brakes are just a little uninspiring but oem/real performance pads and rotors always help. My plan is to ride out the brakes and when my back brakes are done replace all 4 with the correct brakes/rotors.

---------------
My final question to hopefully help with pedal feel for the time being is; are stainless steel braided lines worth it? Has anyone switched to SS when their car was working fine and they received a solid increase in pedal feel?

Also how much should a shop charge to replace lines? (just labor).... I found a pair of Goodridge Touareg specific SS lines for $100 so I would probably got that route even if it gave me marginal improvements.

(might have to start a diff thread for this)

Thanks all
post #23 of 33 Old 06-08-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Negative... Mine is all OEM. It's a pig of an SUV, so I don't expect it to have the same braking performance as my crotch rocket. I'm fine with the way it stops given its size, and I adjust my driving style when towing another pig behind it....

If you already drove other units and they performed the same, it sounds to me like your expectations of the vehicle aren't being met. I'm sure that if you start doing big brake kits and SS lines you'll improve some, but I'm also sure it won't be worth the money you'll be spending.

My suggestion would be to just get different pads that have the bite you're after and sacrifice low dust and life span in the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V8
I tried Akebono's on my 04 V8 and did not like the bite. Hard braking on interstate was frightening.
Went back to Pagid and the bite is good...so is the dust.
post #25 of 33 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like the conclusion I've come to is that Ceramics on this beast are just not the way to go. The new akebonos on the front didn't help and I'm pretty sure my backs are ceramics too as there is 0 dust.

The plan is to wait it out a bit then go back in for a full brake job front/back with Pagids, TRWs or Textars to make sure I get the bite I need. Once that happens I'll probably double down on the SS lines as well.
post #26 of 33 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I have a set of Padgid pads for the T3 you can have for free, less than 400 miles on them and just cover the shipping.

The Padgid intial bite is great but they dust a ton, I think the best brake pad for the Touareg driven daily is the OEM pad from VW parts department, it apperas to be a unique pad formula you can only get from VW.

The Padgid pads are ratted GG, the VW pads are FG (see below)

DOT Pad Codes
post #27 of 33 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
OP, if you are putting track pads on your DD you will need to heat the brakes up before you get optimal performance..... Do a 100-0 stop first to put some heat into them and then see how they bite on initial application.
post #28 of 33 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
OP, if you are putting track pads on your DD you will need to heat the brakes up before you get optimal performance..... Do a 100-0 stop first to put some heat into them and then see how they bite on initial application.

And that is why I don't put ceramic pads on my daily driver
post #29 of 33 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I think others have found ceramics may not be the best choice.

All four sets of pads should be the same make too.

Personally I would check the thickness of the rear rotors and if they are still within service limits then I'd fit a complete NEW set of PAGID pads all round and put up with the dust.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #30 of 33 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks again all for the replies. Gonna snag some TRW's as many threads praise the bite and price. Once that process starts I'll report back

Tags
bleed , brakes , flush , rotors , spongy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode