need help with understanding air suspension system - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 06-24-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
need help with understanding air suspension system

basically...i have a leak somewhere but i can't find it....i'm new here so will try and keep this short,but explain what i can...i'm a savvy guy,but new to touaregs so just need a nudge in the right direction.i've read through alot of threads,but need to understand how the system is wired up/routed a bit better to get a grip of this

symptoms:
passenger side rear (rhd) deflates when parked,engine off,self levels a bit then stops as i'm guessing it runs out of air. start engine and compressor cuts in straight away,suspension levels up as it should. then it goes through a cycle of that corner slowly dropping,self level pumps it back up,air compressor cuts in to recharge system,and so on.

there are NO error codes or warning symbols on the dash (as all other threads i'vs read for leaks have)
it works in all modes...off road,X-tra high,sport,sometimes won't go into low/loading mode as gives 'air tank needs refilling' (as i'm assuming it's leaked out),let it refill and it goes right down.

i've sprayed (soaked) the usual culprit valves and even the air bags with soapy water....i concentrated on the rear left one (obviously),but done them all for shits and giggles.....not detectable leaks

basically sprayed all the pipe connections,even on the solenoid behind the compressor and the reservoir tank and nothing.

because i don't understand the system yet i'm guessing maybe the valve thingy in the top of the strut isn't shutting off,so the air is leaking back through the system somehow,as i can't hear or see (with the aid of bubbles) where it's leaking from.

any help is appreciated......i'm yet to arm myself with VAG.COM and a decent code reader,but i'll save that for future posts...

i want to try and catch this before it causes problems/wear on compressor etc

fanx peeps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-25-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
The two self study guides for the air suspension are linked in this thread.

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...-255890-3.html

I am thinking (guessing) that the most likely problem is either the o-ring sealing the air bag is letting air past it or that you have a leaking air bag. The air bag leaking is pretty rare, but the o-rings do occasionally go bad. It could still be air hose or valve related.

When looking for leaks, using a soap bubble jar for kids usually works better then just plain soapy water.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-25-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Here are the self study guides...

This first link, is the VW Touareg Air Suspension Self Study Guide.
http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_302.PDF

I am attaching the VW Phaeton Air Suspension Self Study Guide. The system is almost the same as the system found on the Touareg, but this Self Study Guide is a lot more detailed.
http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_275_d1.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-25-2018
Touareg Guru

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Can't help on the suspension fault but if you buy VCDS that is your code reader and one that gives a lot more code detail and coding capability than generic readers.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #5 of 11 Old 06-25-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for replies and links. I'll get into them when I finish work. Don't think it's a complicated problem and knowing how what is connected to what will help me sort it
Thanks guys
post #6 of 11 Old 06-25-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
Can't help on the suspension fault but if you buy VCDS that is your code reader and one that gives a lot more code detail and coding capability than generic readers.
VCDS? is that one of them hand held jobbies or laptop based?

i've not long owned the touareg,and it has a few gremlins(all the typical ones it seems,lol). one of which is throttle lag,not the death lag that i've read about,but just a hesitation,tried the 10sec reset...nothing. so was thinking of buying a power pedal....has anyone done this before,and did it improve responce time? failing that,the diagnostic reader i was gonna buy has a throttle calibration setting,i was also hoping that might help...again,anyone else done this?
this is the one.....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABS-SRS-E...53.m1438.l2649

if you recommend the VCDS over this,can you please advise the best way of getting it and what else i might need.

again many thanks.....at this rate it won't be long before i can turn the tables and start helping others,lol
post #7 of 11 Old 06-27-2018 Thread Starter

right....getting back to the dropping left hand rear corner....

i've ordered a new residual valve in the knowledge the old one will disintegrate the moment i touch it,as that is my obvious candidate.

my question is...can i remove the strut unit,do what i've gotta do,and replace .....without the need for recalibrating suspension system using vcds(or equivalent),as i believe this needs to be done if you replace with a new unit.

it's my daily so can't afford to get caught out by not being prepared,i can fix most things mechanical,but haven't got the techy tools yet.

i work away from home. so usually the questions come through the week,so i can find out as much as possible in preperation the the fixing at the weekend,lol
post #8 of 11 Old 06-27-2018
Touareg Guru

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Generic code readers are okay but limited.

Ross-Tech VCDS goes deeper and does a lot more.

Update the box with your user name giving your location and Touareg model.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #9 of 11 Old 06-27-2018
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Something is leaking out somewhere. Find that first. The leaking air has to go somewhere. Spray soapy water EVERYWHERE on the air spring.

Power pedal sounds like one of those snake oil things that just makes you think you're not stomping on the gas pedal, but in reality you really are. Avoid those gimmicks at all costs. If it sounds too good to be true....

Don't waste your time with generic code readers. Get VCDS from the official ross tech site.

If you reinstall the level sensor correctly, I doubt you will have to recalibrate anything. The system shouldn't care.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
post #10 of 11 Old 06-28-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJ Guy View Post
Something is leaking out somewhere. Find that first. The leaking air has to go somewhere. Spray soapy water EVERYWHERE on the air spring.

Power pedal sounds like one of those snake oil things that just makes you think you're not stomping on the gas pedal, but in reality you really are. Avoid those gimmicks at all costs. If it sounds too good to be true....

Don't waste your time with generic code readers. Get VCDS from the official ross tech site.

If you reinstall the level sensor correctly, I doubt you will have to recalibrate anything. The system shouldn't care.
I've soaked everything and listened intently and can't see or hear any leaks. Which is why I'm guessing it's the residual valve boy closing properly and the air is leaking back through the system internally and probably venting through compressor. ....just a guess

The power pedal is a real thing. ...at least in the hilux world. Steinbeuar do a piggy back tuning box (because the Toyota ecu encoding couldn't be cracked till recently). They also do a power pedal. It doesn't tune or alter performance as such,but it improves communication between throttle pedal and inlet butterfly/tps. (Is the best way of explaining it). Many hilux owners just install the pedal without the box and all say it makes a huge difference to driving pleasure.

Looks like I'll be stumping up for VCDS very soon.

I was hoping i'd be OK removing strut. So this gives me hope. Lol.

Thanks for the tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode