Help with calibrating suspension - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 25 Old 03-22-2018 Thread Starter

Help with calibrating suspension

Hi,

Having successfully released excess air from my rear right strut which was permanently stuck at full height, I would like to calibrate the suspension level as the car is not sitting level and it seems to be confused as to what height it is sitting at as it does not move correctly when I adjust the level.

I have read this instructional document from Ross-Tech which is incredibly useful: Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Suspension Level Control Calibration ( I don't have permission to post a link!)

However I have one question, right at the bottom it says
'If all measured values are correct, enter "new value" of 1.
[Test]
[Save]'

Does this mean that the measured values should read the same as the ACTUAL measured values which I will have just inputted? Or does it mean that the values should have adjusted themselves to the correct standard height values for the Touareg (497mm front and 502mm rear)?

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ross tech level calibration.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	210209  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-23-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Bump for you.

Hopefully one of the more technical guys will respond soon.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #3 of 25 Old 03-23-2018
Multiple v10tdi owner

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V10 TDI
Garage
All four corners need to be adjusted properly, when each corner passes the initialization process (I.P.) you then follow the instructions you posted.

Just releasing pressure does not complete the (I.P.). You need to be sure that you can fill and lower each corner then set to proper level before attempting to complete the (I.P.).

3 V10TDI's: (2)2004 Black/Black, Silver/Black and 2004 V10TDI in 1990 Corvette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 03-23-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownvette View Post
All four corners need to be adjusted properly, when each corner passes the initialization process (I.P.) you then follow the instructions you posted.

Just releasing pressure does not complete the (I.P.). You need to be sure that you can fill and lower each corner then set to proper level before attempting to complete the (I.P.).

Thanks for the info, I'm not sure I follow exactly though.

I was under the impression that by measuring the height of each corner and then inputting the data into VCDS in the calibration section, the VCDS software would then automatically adjust the car to the correct height using the measurements I will have given it?

If that is not the case then should I raise each corner to the specified height (497mm front and 502mm rear) first and then go through the calibration process in VCDS?

I manually released some air from the rear right strut as it was stuck at full height and from reading on here it is necessary to manually release some pressure before then re-calibrating the height of the car.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-23-2018 Thread Starter

I have just found a very useful video on youtube from Ross-tech which I think answers my questions. I will try the procedure now on my car and see what happens!
post #6 of 25 Old 03-23-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
And post the video link etc too.

Just add some posts with a few words in each to get to the right number to post links. We'll understand.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #7 of 25 Old 03-23-2018 Thread Starter

I think I can post links now...

This is the video I was meaning:

I went out to my car and tried following those steps but I encountered an error. I got as far as 1m 14s in the video, it said 'wait' in the first field as it should and the front suspension dropped but then it said 'ERROR - NOT - AVAILABLE' in red writing in the fields where it previously said 'WAIT - N/A - N/A - N/A'.

Before I tried the above, I went into basic settings and managed to vent pressure from both axles and the tank (I could see the car lowering), I think filled both axles and the tank with pressure (I could see the car raising) - so I am confident that the system is able to fill and release air.
post #8 of 25 Old 03-23-2018 Thread Starter

EDITED to correct typo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath View Post

Before I tried the above, I went into basic settings and managed to vent pressure from both axles and the tank (I could see the car lowering), I then filled both axles and the tank with pressure (I could see the car raising) - so I am confident that the system is able to fill and release air.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-23-2018
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
You are just telling the computer what the ACTUAL value is (402, versus a reported value of 400, for example) so the computer can "re-learn" the new value.

Yes, you should enter "1" at the end as shown in the video, regardless of how far off your actual #'s may or may not have been to the computer's #'s.

Try your calibration again. It may have just crashed, unrelated to anything else. Also, I think your doors MUST BE CLOSED when doing this. Otherwise, the vehicle will not lower during the calibration. It's to prevent the doors from crashing into things.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
post #10 of 25 Old 03-23-2018
Multiple v10tdi owner

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V10 TDI
Garage
Sounds like you have a bad strut or residual pressure valve… the program will walk you through five steps, if the system is mechanically working properly it will complete the adaptation

3 V10TDI's: (2)2004 Black/Black, Silver/Black and 2004 V10TDI in 1990 Corvette

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode