Has anybody tried Textar brake pads? - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 8 Old 01-20-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2014 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Has anybody tried Textar brake pads?

I was looking to change my brake pads and found out that Textar brake pads are 1/4th the cost of the ones at the dealership. Wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this brand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-20-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Garage
I use them; Porsche uses them on the Cayenne.

2014 | AUDI Q7 | V6TDI | CARRARAWHITE | S-LINE | PRESTIGE | AIR SUS | WARM PK |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Cayenne TT Sways |
2009 | BMW 335D | V6TT | CRIMSONRED | DAKOTA BLACK INT | MSPORT | COLD PK | PREMIUM PK |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-20-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by waslove View Post
I was looking to change my brake pads and found out that Textar brake pads are 1/4th the cost of the ones at the dealership. Wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this brand?
Put your model and location in the box with your user name - then people can help you better.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-21-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

I've got textar pads.
100% worth the money. Brembo quality for 2/3 of the price(at least that's what I paid). Not that money matters when it comes to brakes, just saying.
They are waaaaay bettet than whatever came from the factory on my 2013 T3 V6 TDI(I don't know what pads it had).
Stopping power is great. And I don't see any dust on my rims (even after long trips-but I VERY rarely brake). Dust and longevity are defined by the driver..
I strongly recommend Textar pads.
Still, it was pretty hard to get used to them. Brake pedal is really mushy (as in all T3/T4 Touaregs) yet they bite pretty hard. Almost got rear ended at a stoplight.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-21-2018

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
I just put them on about a month ago - the Textar pads really changed the brake feel - strong initial bite, and grab much harder than the stock pads. My wife mostly drives it and agrees they 'work better'. The OEMs would squeal a bit when backing up with slight touch - these would squeal a bit going forward with slight touch, but that is mostly gone now. They dust way more than OEM - the fronts wheels are getting black - trade off between initial bite, feel, performance.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-21-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVMihnea View Post
I've got textar pads.
100% worth the money. Brembo quality for 2/3 of the price(at least that's what I paid). Not that money matters when it comes to brakes, just saying.
They are waaaaay bettet than whatever came from the factory on my 2013 T3 V6 TDI(I don't know what pads it had).
Stopping power is great. And I don't see any dust on my rims (even after long trips-but I VERY rarely brake). Dust and longevity are defined by the driver..
I strongly recommend Textar pads.
Still, it was pretty hard to get used to them. Brake pedal is really mushy (as in all T3/T4 Touaregs) yet they bite pretty hard. Almost got rear ended at a stoplight.
I am not sure anyone has bothered to find out the OEM is on the T3 pads. Nobody seems to be impressed with them, whoever they are.

You bring up a really good point. If you change to to the Textar or Pagid Pads, you will get a much better brake system then the VW original for the T3. You could even go as far as to source some high carbon (same as Brembo) rotors if you want that little extra bit of braking.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-21-2018

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt View Post
I am not sure anyone has bothered to find out the OEM is on the T3 pads. Nobody seems to be impressed with them, whoever they are.

You bring up a really good point. If you change to to the Textar or Pagid Pads, you will get a much better brake system then the VW original for the T3. You could even go as far as to source some high carbon (same as Brembo) rotors if you want that little extra bit of braking.
I would bet that VW OEM T3 pads were chosen to prevent the excessive dusting. I have switched to Akebono Euro on my BMWs because of the excessive dusting, and I am ok with the loss of the initial cold bite, and they are less grabby, I like the linearity of the Akebonos - which I attribute to using ceramics?
post #8 of 8 Old 01-22-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

I've got new Textar pads&rotors on my 7 series. The dust is insane. I guess I drive much more aggressively than I do with my T3.. easy fix for the problem - I got a pair of 20" black M 5-spoke rims. It looks much sexier this way. And no more dust!
Could do the same on a T3, but black rims and chrome elements on the sides may not look very well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode