Hankook Ventus V12 Evo & going 275/45/20 to 275/40/20 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scubacruiser

post #1 of 7 Old 03-21-2018 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2010 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo & going 275/45/20 to 275/40/20

Looking for anyone with experience with the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo. I run dedicated pirelli scorpion winters so looking for a summer tire.

I have been running a 275/45/20 currently and the deal on the Hankook are for the 275/40/20. Will there be noticeable difference in the driving experience? Most of my driving is city/highway with the odd gravel/dirt trail but no significant offroad stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-21-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHAMMS View Post
Check out the Nokian tyres.
Usually can be had for a good price, better than the Korean China tyres.
Nokian's presence here is pretty much just winter or all weather tires and is not widely distributed
post #3 of 7 Old 03-21-2018

Touareg: 2005 V8
If you are close to the border, you are better getting tires in the USA. Canada tire prices are terrible. I can't comment on Hankook Ventus. I have had performance tires from Hankook and not that happy. My choice for the money is to use Continental tires for summer and Nokian for the winter. I would try to find a softer compound if you are using a 20" rim. I would never use a rim that size on a Touareg. You will feel the bumps. Hope you have good roads where you live. Go to Tire Rack's website and do some research. I wouldn't buy from there, just they do have some better research on tires and good comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-22-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroR2 View Post
If you are close to the border, you are better getting tires in the USA. Canada tire prices are terrible. I can't comment on Hankook Ventus. I have had performance tires from Hankook and not that happy. My choice for the money is to use Continental tires for summer and Nokian for the winter. I would try to find a softer compound if you are using a 20" rim. I would never use a rim that size on a Touareg. You will feel the bumps. Hope you have good roads where you live. Go to Tire Rack's website and do some research. I wouldn't buy from there, just they do have some better research on tires and good comments.
I have compared US vs. Canadian prices and after factoring in conversion, travel time and gas its definitely not worth it. In fact some of the prices are higher. There was a big delta in pricing a few years ago but that is no longer the case. If you are spending $2k on tires then it might be worth it.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-26-2018

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschmeister View Post
I have compared US vs. Canadian prices and after factoring in conversion, travel time and gas its definitely not worth it. In fact some of the prices are higher. There was a big delta in pricing a few years ago but that is no longer the case. If you are spending $2k on tires then it might be worth it.
Agreed. I’m in the process of putting Michelin Latitude Tour HP’s on my factor 19’s (which is a $2K set of tires) and just in straight currency conversion the difference between CA and US pricing is only $200 and that’s assuming CBSA waves you across without any tax or duty.

2008 V8 FSI Galapagos Grey on Sienna
post #6 of 7 Old 03-27-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V6
Second Vehicle: 2005 V6
On my 2005 Treg I bought a new set of Hankook Ventus AS RH07 3 years ago and I liked them very much. Vert quiet and soft riding and handled well enough for my driving style. Fast forward to 2018 when my 2009 Treg needed new tires, I searched for the same Hankooks but they weren't available, and the tire shop guy recommended the Nexen Nfera RU01. I had resisted buying Nexens because that's what I had on my 2005 Treg (although a different model) and they rode quite harshly, but it was getting late and I really wanted to get new tires, so I went ahead with the Nfera's. I tell you I wasn't disappointed. They weren't as soft as the Hankooks, but they were very reasonalble and the handling was just as good if not better. We don't really have wet conditions here so I can't say anything about that, but in normal dry conditions they are very good.
Now these aren't high performance tires, but we're not talking about Ferraris here. The Nfera's cost me a total of the equivalent of $530 USD, which is a fraction of what Pirellis or Michelins would have cost.

2009 T2 Shadow Blue 3.6L V6 (BHK 206KW), 18" Valley rims, Vavona wood package, Pure Beige leather interior, sunroof
2005 T1 Blue Silver 3.2L V6 (BMV 177KW), 18" Manhattan rims, wooden steering wheel and shift lever, otherwise pretty basic (being prepared for sale)
post #7 of 7 Old 03-27-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
I just put 4 new Hankook Ventus ST RH06 on last summer and love them. Much more quiet than my previous Scorpions, and they are much better in the wet.

Tires were about $350 each here in Canada. I ordered them from Walmart.com and had them delivered for free to a Walmart just over the US border. I got them for $135 USD each, then paid $100 for mounting and balancing all 4. I declared them at the border and was waved through. Fuel and time included, I saved more than 50%.
Boschmeister likes this.

"Callie" - 2013 Touareg TDI Execline, Cool Silver on Titan black
"Sophie" - 2010 Touareg TDI Highline, Campanella white on Anthracite - sold back to VW
"Celeste" - 2009 Eos 2.0T DSG Lux, Candy white on Anthracite
"Simone" - 2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, HID projectors
"Rocinante" - 1990 JDM HDJ81 Toyota Landcruiser turbodiesel, 5 speed, RHD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode