FYI scorpion snow tires on 50% off clearance at tirerack - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 7 Old 11-14-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: 2015 V6 TDI
FYI scorpion snow tires on 50% off clearance at tirerack

"FYI tirerack has 255/50 19 Scorpions on clearance while they last at $126 per tire (plus a $70 rebate for buying 4 of any size) - less than 1/2 price of the stock 265/50s (which are abt $264). These are also a 103V rating, rather than the more usual 107 or 110, but 103 should still be fine for most folks, it still yields over 1500 lb over GVW."

A guy over on the Cayenne forum had posted this and I got myself a set. An incredible deal at $470 shipped for brand new winter tires.

Here is the link:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...5VR9SCORWN0OLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-14-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
You know that you're throwing around SPEED RATING VALUES and then somehow getting into LOAD rating......

I'm wearing black socks today!
post #3 of 7 Old 11-14-2018
Touareg Mechanic

There's a reason why these dates exist.... you don't need to worry because of the kind of guy you are, but others may not want to gamble saving on the initial purchase if they think they will get a long use out of the tires..... I'd rather pay full price and know that I'm buying "fresh tires" than you save $400 initially on a set and to have a blowout\failure 2 years later which destroys a rim, bodywork, or causes me to crash....

Rubber and it's properties will degrade over time so "you get what you pay for"..... (traction and comfort will also suffer)

I drive quite a bit, so for me it will cost me more than I save IF I experience such a failure, have to deal with downtime, trip delays, etc.....

Everyone has priorities....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-14-2018
Touareg Mechanic

I swear I replied to a post about how someone called TireRack only to find out the tires were something like 4 years old..... but I could've made it all up in my head too since I don't see that post any more.... some funny things happening today for sure! Maybe I'm just replying to myself and making crap up as I go!

Am I drunk?
post #5 of 7 Old 11-14-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
I swear I replied to a post about how someone called TireRack only to find out the tires were something like 4 years old..... but I could've made it all up in my head too since I don't see that post any more.... some funny things happening today for sure! Maybe I'm just replying to myself and making crap up as I go!

Am I drunk?

Probably. But being drunk is not necessarily a bad thing. This of course is coming from someone who lives in the middle of the bourbon universe.

The opinions expressed above are mine and are inherently superior to those expressed by anyone else.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-14-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uoflcardfan77 View Post
Probably. But being drunk is not necessarily a bad thing. This of course is coming from someone who lives in the middle of the bourbon universe.
Meh... I'm at work so it's totally acceptable!
post #7 of 7 Old 11-27-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: 2015 V6 TDI
The plan all worked out.

The "buyback" Cayenne Diesel came with 19" wheels. I kept the 20" Pikes Peak's and tires and sent the 2012 TDI back with a shoddy set of 18" Cayenne Turbo wheels from 2004 along with tires that were not fit for Mexican snow.

I got a set of new TPMS, shipped for under $150. I put them on the 19" wheels. I took the new snow tires to the local tire store-which is just some guy(s) that bought an old gas station and now just change tires out using floor jacks and some tire machines. They only changed me $60 to mount and balance so like a Boss, I flipped them $20 for a great job as I had asked them to line up the dots that Pirelli makes on the tire, that should line up with the valve stems and they did both that and made sure to NOT scuff up the wheels at all. Tipping-beforehand, works.

The tires have been working awesome as the next day it snowed and it has been cool, cold and wet ever since and this past Sunday I trailered up and snowmobiled and even got a chance to drive on an iced over dirt road where a big RWD camper van was stuck on the wrong side of the road as it could not get up the hill and slid to the inside of the curve of the road even though it was a dually rear-end. No traction is no-traction. 4WD may have helped, who knows but this vehicle was from the late 70's as my Dad had a 1977 Chevy van that had the same front end.

The entire rig hauls down the highway, with or without trailer, up to 75-80mph, smooth as silk, ahhhhh. It is going to be awesome with pure snow tires for this upcoming winter as I plan on going up to VT a lot again this winter and at least a few days after every big snowstorm up there.

It snowed about 6" up there and it will be snowing all day today up there and the forecast is for snow almost every day this week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode