First Alignment - '14 Treg - Still pulls right - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 14 Old 02-13-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Garage
First Alignment - '14 Treg - Still pulls right

Treg has a slight pull to the right. Had the alignment done. Still has a slight pull to the right although not as bad.

I had asked for a printout after completion yesterday. They tried to explain the numbers stating how tight this thing was. Today I noticed the "Modified Specifications" in the top right. Is that telling me what I think it is? Could they have modified the specs to make the screen green?

Thanks for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	220973   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	347.9 KB
ID:	220975  

2014 Touareg Exec TDi - Black on Black - Purchased 2/2019 with 60k mi. Mods: Splash Guards and some coding so far. Own ODBeleven and VCDS HEX-V2

"Life is not about how you handle the straight aways. It is about how you handle the corners." TreadLightly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-13-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: VW 2
You need to obtain the Alignment Values for your specific model year to see if that's what they went by.......
Also, check your tires for proper inflation and even wear... a funny worn tire will cause it to pull....
post #3 of 14 Old 02-13-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
You need to obtain the Alignment Values for your specific model year to see if that's what they went by.......
Also, check your tires for proper inflation and even wear... a funny worn tire will cause it to pull....
Good idea. I did find a post with '15 specs. Should be about the same. https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...ml#post1071193

I will try moving the front right tire to the left rear and see if I can tell the difference after I adjust for proper air pressure.

2014 Touareg Exec TDi - Black on Black - Purchased 2/2019 with 60k mi. Mods: Splash Guards and some coding so far. Own ODBeleven and VCDS HEX-V2

"Life is not about how you handle the straight aways. It is about how you handle the corners." TreadLightly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-13-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
Judging by how badly your right caster is out, did you smack pot hole or curb at speed? If the right caster is offset that much it will definitely make up pull right.

'81 Rabbit S 16vG60 | '01 A6 2.7TT 6MT | '15 Touareg TDI Exec R-line

- OEM air suspension retrofit
- OEM parking heater retrofit
- OEM Easy-Open hatch retrofit
- OEM ambient lighting retrofit
post #5 of 14 Old 02-13-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewblekka View Post
Judging by how badly your right caster is out, did you smack pot hole or curb at speed? If the right caster is offset that much it will definitely make up pull right.
No smackin' going on here. I bought it this way. We do have some messed up roads here along with miles of logging roads. Who knows what the previous one-owner did for the last 60k mi.

post #6 of 14 Old 02-18-2019

I had the same issue and it turned out to be the tires. It was not one bad tire since all of the rotations made no difference. I ended up putting on a set of properly rated Michelins. No more pulling right at any speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Tk15treg For This Useful Post:
trdltly (02-18-2019)
post #7 of 14 Old 02-19-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Excuse me? Please expand on this proper rating and how it was the (all the tires) tires that would cause it to pull right only....... I just can't wrap my head around this!
post #8 of 14 Old 02-25-2019

I believe proper rating according to VW is 109H. 109 is weight load and the H is speed rating. The speed rating is actually about tire stiffness which leads to speed. I upgraded to the higher speed rating of V to gain additional stiffness.

My OEM tires, Goodyear, weíre not stiff enough to hold up under the weight and pressure even though they were rated to do so. This is why the pull got worse at higher speed - more flexing of the tire. Canít tell you why it pulls right, but Iím sure an auto engineer might be able to.

While there is a uniform system of speed, mileage, weight load, tire ratings, etc., no entity is policing the tires or manufacturers. Itís up to each manufacturer to claim their tire meets government standards.

Just my conclusions after working this since I bought it 2 years ago. Tracks perfectly straight with the 109V Michelins.

post #9 of 14 Old 02-28-2019
Touareg Mechanic

I'm sorry, but the speed ratings you're suggesting solved the tracking of your vehicle have nothing to do with it.
You're talking about 130mph vs 149mph ratings. If your vehicle was pulling, I can guarantee you that you were nowhere near those speeds.... even if you were on a track.

As shown above, the OP has some alignment issues at the very least.....

OP, have your tires measured and compare the results. You should be able to note a different wear pattern if your pull is that significant.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-01-2019

I am not suggesting that OP does not have an alignment issue. I did as well, but fixing my alignment did not solve the problem. I am also not alluding to driving at those rated speeds. My amount of pulling to the right was minimal at 30 mph, but very noticeable at 70 mph. I think you will hear the same from everyone with this issue.
I am not suggesting the speed ratings, but rather the stiffness that comes along with the speed ratings. Itís more likely that the OEM Goodyear tires were not living up to their speed rating (stiffness).

The question needs to be which OEM tire and size is everyone with a problem running on? I have 5,000 miles on the Michelins and we are still good. I put 36,000 on the OEM Goodyear and had 5/32 left of even wear with rotations. It pulled right since the day I bought it with 12,000 miles.
I would like to hear if someone has a problem with 19Ē or 20Ē and what brand of tire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode